T Nation

From Cut to Bulk

I’ve been cutting on around 2,500 calories daily, and I plan to transition up to a clean bulk of around 3,100 calories daily. What I’m unsure about though is where I need these extra calories to come in the diet?

• Should I still stick to limiting carbs after 6?
  • Would it be best to add another 200 cals of dextrose to the PWO shake?
  • Would it make sense just to add in 400 cals worth of nuts/seeds spread throughout the day?

What would you recommend?

[quote]Porridge Monster wrote:
I’ve been cutting on around 2,500 calories daily, and I plan to transition up to a clean bulk of around 3,100 calories daily. What I’m unsure about though is where I need these extra calories to come in the diet?

• Should I still stick to limiting carbs after 6?
  • Would it be best to add another 200 cals of dextrose to the PWO shake?
  • Would it make sense just to add in 400 cals worth of nuts/seeds spread throughout the day?

What would you recommend?[/quote]

I recommend you post a picture because the guy worried about carbs after 6 had better already have a solid base of mass on him first.

That seems like a bit too much nitpicking.

YOUR RESULTS are what guide how you eat. What is the deal with the fascination with numbers?

As if your 400cals of nuts will cause you to grow more than the guy who didn’t measure out his food in that way?

You micromanage like that when you already see the results coming and know what needs to be tinkered with.

I dont think a 600 calorie increase from one day to the next is necessary.

Increase the calories more gradual. This will also leave you with more room to figure out which foods to add. Instead of trying to be so precise based purely on a guess.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Increase the calories more gradual. This will also leave you with more room to figure out which foods to add. Instead of trying to be so precise based purely on a guess. [/quote]

I think what I was trying to ask is if there’s a time of day (i.e. post-workout, pre-workout, breakfast etc) when it would be most useful for me to build in the extra calories required to turn from cutting to an anabolic state.

i.e. adding in an extra 4-500 calories to post-workout shake

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Increase the calories more gradual. This will also leave you with more room to figure out which foods to add. Instead of trying to be so precise based purely on a guess. [/quote]

I think what I was trying to ask is if there’s a time of day (i.e. post-workout, pre-workout, breakfast etc) when it would be most useful for me to build in the extra calories required to turn from cutting to an anabolic state.[/quote]

?

So, your plan is to “cut” and “gain” at the same time?

WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS AND WHAT ARE YOUR STATS NOW?

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

I think what I was trying to ask is if there’s a time of day (i.e. post-workout, pre-workout, breakfast etc) when it would be most useful for me to build in the extra calories required to turn from cutting to an anabolic state.[/quote]

?

So, your plan is to “cut” and “gain” at the same time?[/quote]

No, I meant from the cutting phase just finished to the bulking I plan to do for the next few months.

I’m 180 lbs, around 12% BF and I’d like to add another 5 lbs of muscle for now.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

?

So, your plan is to “cut” and “gain” at the same time?[/quote]

No, I meant from the cutting phase just finished to the bulking I plan to do for the next few months.

I’m 180 lbs, around 12% BF and I’d like to add another 5 lbs of muscle for now.
[/quote]

5lbs?

Your long term goal is 5 more pounds of muscle?

How do you know you only need 600 more calories?

No offense, but it seems some of you want to play chemist without understanding you need the lab first.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

I think what I was trying to ask is if there’s a time of day (i.e. post-workout, pre-workout, breakfast etc) when it would be most useful for me to build in the extra calories required to turn from cutting to an anabolic state.

i.e. adding in an extra 4-500 calories to post-workout shake[/quote]

There are about as many answers to this question as there are posters on this site. Some people eat carbs all day, some early in the day, some only post-workout. Hell, the new trend here for a lot of people is to only eat food post-workout (exception: small meal preworkout or protein).

You just need to experiment and see what works for you. IMO, though, above all else you should err on the side of overeating v. undereating. Overeating is correctable in the long-term, with fat only taking a few weeks to knock off if you accumulate a bit too much. Undereating is going to eviscerate your progress sooner or later.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

i.e. adding in an extra 4-500 calories to post-workout shake[/quote]

Im sure there is a PERFECT time to add those extra calories.

I wouldnt bank on anyone being able to pinpoint that perfect time.

Just play around with different things. What’s the worst that happens? You get super-aids, cancer, flesh-eating bacteria all at once and die next week? Doubtful.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Just play around with different things. What’s the worst that happens? You get super-aids, cancer, flesh-eating bacteria all at once and die next week? Doubtful.

[/quote]

It’s funny to joke about until it happens to you…

added in 433 cals as opposed to 472… shit got real.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[/quote]

It’s funny to joke about until it happens to you…

added in 433 cals as opposed to 472… shit got real.[/quote]

Uh-oh… I tried 490 and my left testicle just imploded. Who do I sue?!

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

This. Considering you just finished dropping weight chances are you could easily gain 5 lbs of ‘weight’ in the next two weeks (water, glycogen, muscle and yes fat). Again taking into consideration you were cutting at 2500 cals and most likely doing cardio, I would just hover at 2500 cals for 1-2 weeks to see how your body deals with it (no extra cardio, just weights).