From Bodybuilding to Strongman Training

After training for 7+ years as a bodybuilder (never competitive, just personal choices), I’ve semi-made this decision, which I believe to be a big move, to strongman training. While bodybuilding training produces functional muscularity, it is not nearly as functional as strongman training. I’ve decided to trade the looks for functionality (although I don’t believe it will be a complete trade-off, since there are many strongmen with phenomenal physiques).

My questions:

1. Has anyone else here made this transition successfully?
  2. How difficult was the transition?
  3. Did you find yourself with a good base starting in the strongman training, or did you feel as if you were very green around the ears?

Also, if anyone can point me out to some beginner strongman training websites or threads, that would be fantastic (including a site that preferably has nutritional suggestions as well, as I’m sure the nutritional needs are a lot higher for strongman).

Stats:
6’0
218lbs
~12% BF

Major lifts:
Deadlift: 445x1, 405x8
Squat: Been doing 315 for 6-8 for the past few months
Incline Bench (I don’t do flat, much): 265x 5-8

This site has been an invaluable resource for me for the past few years, and I hope it can come through for me again.

P.S. I don’t plan to compete, or at least not anytime in the near years. Everything I do as far as training goes is for personal satisfaction. +I do use AAS, and I don’t plan to compete in any sports where I’d be considered a cheater.

Well I made the move from BB to PL back to BB and now to Strongman as well. Its very true to say BB is all show and no go whereas PL and Strongman are all go and little show. That is, no one cares what you can lift BB wise. And no one cares what you look like for PL or SM. I’ve found SM to be much harder than PL. PL is basically 5-10 seconds of exertion and you’re done.

Depending on the event SM requires quite a degree of conditioning and strength endurance. This forum is pretty decent and there’s always google for templates and links. If you dont actually ever compete its harder to justify SM IMO. If you ever do compete you wanna practice the events you will do. Like anything you need specific training for specific movements.
Technique in most events is hyper critical and will separate two equally strong/powerful men.

Since I know you from the AAS forum a bit I will say as you know tren is the greatest strength compound there is but often times users pay too high a price in terms of cardio conditioning. If you proceed with SM and tren you will almost surely need to reduce test down to the trt levels in hopes of maintaining as much cardio ability as you can. Again it will be specific to an event or comp for you; even though I know you’re on the fence about actual comps.

[quote]saps wrote:
Well I made the move from BB to PL back to BB and now to Strongman as well. Its very true to say BB is all show and no go whereas PL and Strongman are all go and little show. That is, no one cares what you can lift BB wise. And no one cares what you look like for PL or SM. I’ve found SM to be much harder than PL. PL is basically 5-10 seconds of exertion and you’re done.

Depending on the event SM requires quite a degree of conditioning and strength endurance. This forum is pretty decent and there’s always google for templates and links. If you dont actually ever compete its harder to justify SM IMO. If you ever do compete you wanna practice the events you will do. Like anything you need specific training for specific movements.
Technique in most events is hyper critical and will separate two equally strong/powerful men.

Since I know you from the AAS forum a bit I will say as you know tren is the greatest strength compound there is but often times users pay too high a price in terms of cardio conditioning. If you proceed with SM and tren you will almost surely need to reduce test down to the trt levels in hopes of maintaining as much cardio ability as you can. Again it will be specific to an event or comp for you; even though I know you’re on the fence about actual comps.[/quote]

The endurance is one thing I’m quite worried about. Since starting the tren/test ratio that I’m using, my cardio is in the shithole. 25 mins on an elliptical or a set of particularly intense deads and I feel like I’m going to pass out.

[quote]JoeyD20 wrote:
The endurance is one thing I’m quite worried about. Since starting the tren/test ratio that I’m using, my cardio is in the shithole. 25 mins on an elliptical or a set of particularly intense deads and I feel like I’m going to pass out.
[/quote]
Myself and countless others were/are the same way. However, myself and countless others also find when the test is brought below 250mg/wk [150-200mg/wk seems to be ideal] the “tren sides” reduce in intensity by 80%. I made that number up of course but its very pronounced and noticeable. You really gotta try tren in the presence of lower test next time. If you need help add some mast in the mix. Mast does nothing to exacerbate tren sides. I think I said this elsewhere in the roid forum but Im on 200mg test 450 mast and 700 tren [weekly doses]. Highest amount of tren I’ve ever run and I have less “tren sides” with these doses than I did with 1G of test and 300-400mg of tren. Despite the same total quantity of aas and nearly double the tren itself. I was skeptical till I tried it but now that I have it remarkable. The only down side for me with that quantity of tren is I do “NEED” the 3mg of caber a week. But that is beyond a justifiable expense in my book.

Curious to know if you’ve made any progress in the 2 months?