From Beginner to Intermediate

As T3hPwnisher alluded to, lifting more weight on the powerlifts=/=actually getting stronger in a general sense.

1 Like

I’ll explain this to you very simply.

Strength, as in improving numbers in specific multi-joint lifts, is also movement specific and relies bigly on technique and neural adaptaion. Yes, bigly.

If you want to maximise strength in various planes of motion, especially in a sport where you are required to express this strength while contorting yourself in weird positions, you must increase the size of the cross sectional area of all the muscles, with emphasis on those most used in your sport.

(If you have been indoctrinated by internet nonsense, just sit down one day and think about this logically. Don’t be an idiot and simply go, “Oh yeah? You mean train the tibialis anterior like a dumb bodybuilder? Huh? Hahaha!!! Hypertrophy is systemic bro! A dumb author who doesn’t even understand the study he referenced said so!”)

So, the point is, you will either have to gain muscle by gaining a bit of weight or increase your muscle/fat ratio without gaining weight. This will involve getting better at your diet.

Training wise, you will need to do something which does involve accessories as well as the main lifts for maximal hypertrophy. Just do 531.

2 Likes

What I meant is that I’m nlt a competitor, Ive got mates that live for it, go to all the competitions, take it as a “job”. I sometimes compete, sometimes dont, take it as a hobby . Anyway, in the gym se use to be paired by weights also .

Well, thanks to everybody, so there is a general consensus that I should go with 531, and there I have different choices. I think I’ll cycle between BBB, FSL , BBS and we’ll see how long do I need to meet my goals.

Some of you told me “pure strength training is not what you need for BJJ”… yes, I knew that! The BJJ S&C should be something much more complete, but I’ve been always weak with this kind of strength training and for different reasons I’ve decided to give it a time right now, it’s my eternal weak point.

Thanks to everybody!

not crazy, but you need to be eating enough to support it, and the bodyweight you are suggests you’re not doing so.

I’m not saying you need to start pounding 8000 calories a day, but trust me, you need to be eating more.

I’m in fact eating more, my weight was 63kg four months ago, no worries with that! I’m trying to eat all I need to be satiated when I train :wink:

1 Like

What’s your weight class? He can’t stray outside this or he loses his competitive advantage and his opponents will be stronger still. Change your body composition is better , get leaner and more muscular. Eat more protein and cut down on the carbs apart from around and during your workouts. Martial art session are often 2 hours + so eating during the break is a good idea.

Also you are mostly off your feet, so I would suggest working rows and chin ups with a gi. Your hand strength is also a huge factor in your success.