? From a Starving College Student

I started lifting a few months ago and I’m really liking the results, I’m 19 years old, five foot six and weight about a 140lbs - I know I’m a small guy (I haven’t a clue what my body fat percentage is, though I can’t see my abs, but I hardly think I’m “fat”).

My goals are completely vain and I know that, I’d rather look like an Abercrombie model than Arnold Schwarzenegger (though I have plenty of respect for bodybuilders that can accomplish that look).

My question has to do with supplements (I know the favorite topic for newbies.) I came across T-Nation a few days ago, great website, and I’m starting to think my strategy of rushing into the vitamin store at the mall and buying the cheapest whey protein and creatine (the two supplements recommended to me)I can, may not be the wisest of choices.

I noticed there haven’t been any recent discussions, or at least ones I could find, on what supplements are absolutely necessary or at any rate highly recommended versus those that I should think about if I made six figures someday.

I know protein is a must, but is it worth buying Metabolic Drive over Grow! Whey? What about Creatine or fish oil or even a meal replacement?

(One quick note, I’m far from a hardgainer, I was chubby most of my childhood and only put off the weight in high school, so simply eating more isn’t a good option for me.)

Thanks for the help.

(If you’re wondering about my workout routine I do a five day split in the gym i.e. chest day, leg day, arms day, ect. and I do cardio two or three times a week - most often a 15 to 20 min run.)

I’ve heard from other sites that the “big 3” are creatine, whey protein, and glutamine.

Before you waste your money on Glutamine read this.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461188

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459884

My Staples:

Whey
Creatine
Fish oil
Flax seed oil
CLA
Milled Flax Seed
Oatmeal
TRIBEX Gold
Vitamin A
Vitamin E
B-Complex
BCAA

And for an extra kick “Spike”

Hey there.
I would say in order of importance you should put your money into:

1. Real food (lots of protein, veggies, fruits, good carbs, yada-yada, you know the drill…i hope)
    Always should be the top priority
  2. Post workout supplementation like Biotest Surge
    (single most important “supplement” in my opinion)
  3. Multi-Vitamin. I use Animal Paks until Biotest has one.
  4. Whey Protein: Biotest Metabolic Drive
  5. Fish oil supplement like Biotest Flameout
  6. Anything else you have money left over for after buying all of the above.