From 35 to 40

Welcome to the best group around! Congrats on making a lifestyle change. Having been there, I would caution you on eating too little and trying for too much fat loss to quickly. Slow and steady wins this one…

Superheavyweight, You are certainly welcome here. Not to derail the subject too much, but I recommend an excellent book “The Power Of Now” by Tolle.

It is a fairly quick read and quite comforting too!

Best of luck to you buddy, you really can have your life back.

Welcome Brad! Always make sure to let us know how you’re doing.

Wow thanks everyone I am speachless I did not expect this kind of response when I got out here was comming to share a yummy pancake recipe a friend gave me That I had for breakfast this morning.

It’s a keto recipe but I think you could use skim milk instead of oil and water for the liquid if not doing keto.

1 scoop Protein (I use Body Fortress Whey)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp backing powder
1/2 tbsp olive oil
whip and add water till the consistancy of pancake batter.

Pray pan and cook like pancakes makes 2 large pancakes.

I ate them with just a tbsp of butter but they have a vinilla flavour from the Protein Powder and you could just snack on them without anything.

With Butter and Olive Oil

Cals 380
Protein 32.5g
Carbs 4g
Fat 28g

They were out of this world I am thinking of making some and freezing them then just throwing them in the toaster like I use to with real pancakes but I don’t know if they will hold up :slight_smile:

I really want to thank everyone for all the support. Tommorow is my 1 month weigh I am thinking I will hit my goal of losing 10 lbs this month but either way I will post the results out here tommorow.

Welcome to the board Brad!

Your a lucky man that you found T-Nation.
The folks here are real and can provide lots of great advice and support.

Remember

If it’s not difficult, it’s not worth doing.

Good on ya and keep us in the know!

Interesting recipe Brad. I’ve never been able to find anything I could add my protein powder into that tasted decent. Glad you’ve gotten so many responses in such a short time. You are very welcome here buddy. I’m with hel320, not much on dieting, but big on support for you.

Yeah The only problem Is they are a little addictive lmao.

I have had them twice already then made a couple tonight and cut them into 8 toaster size. Protein Poptarts on my way out the door to the gym in the morning. Its like Egg/Whey Protein and some good fats I think next time I am going to mess with putting in a little Milled Flax to get some more good fats and fiber in there.

I am really interested in messing around with different food to make healthy options now it has become an addiction after trying this recipe lol.

I took a long nap this afternoon and now I am up at 1:30am. I thought I would sleep for an hour or so but ended up 4 hrs.

Actually I think I am going to head to the gym technically it is Monday and I am dying to see if I made my first goal of losing 10 lbs this month.

For the record this is how my wiegh ins have gone since starting this adventure this time.

Aug 1st

Weight 465 lbs

Waist 78"
Bicep 20"
Chest 60"
Calve 19.5"
Neck 20.75 "
Thigh 30.75 "

Aug 1st 465 lbs
Week#1 Aug 8th 471 lbs
Week #2 Aug 15th 465 lbs
Week #3 Aug 25th 463 lbs
Week#4 Sep 1st 461 lbs
Weight 461 lbs

Waist 75"
Bicep 19.5"
Chest 60"
Calves 19.5"
Neck 20.5"
Thigh 31"

well I lost 2 lbs and I have to be honest and say I am a little let down I really thought I was going to see 5lbs ish. I thought only losing 2 lbs last week meant I had some water to shed still but I guess not. I know I was in ketosis all week I tested with strips daily and was good.

I am going to possibly look at just going back to a clean reduced calorie cutting diet. I can lose 2 lbs a week with that as well. It is a catch 22 for me on Keto I am not hungry but really crave carbs after a week or so. On a 40/40/20 type diet I am always hungry.

I was reading about the Velocity Diet out here and will keep reading but I don’t think I am ready for that yet I am going to play it by ear this week I will keep calories at weight loss levels no matter what but might adjust macros slowly.

A couple heathy foods for thought. Hemp nut seed and salba seed. Check sourcesalba.com interesting seed. I use these and other common ground nuts and seeds. Amazing nutritional values in these foods.

Good luck with the scales. Small gains have huge rewards, nothing wrong with a sore arm from patting yourself on the back. As long as your never look back you can’t help but win. Stay strong and focused Bro, this is for life!

[quote]streamline wrote:
A couple heathy foods for thought. Hemp nut seed and salba seed. Check sourcesalba.com interesting seed. I use these and other common ground nuts and seeds. Amazing nutritional values in these foods.

Good luck with the scales. Small gains have huge rewards, nothing wrong with a sore arm from patting yourself on the back. As long as your never look back you can’t help but win. Stay strong and focused Bro, this is for life![/quote]

Thanks bro I will look into them right now howdo they taste???

Remember, the weight took a long time to put on and you didn’t watch the scale in anticipation while it happened.

It was a steady effort to put the weight on, it was day in day out over time. It is the same thing now. Just keep on keeping on. Drive forward and look for changes in the rearview mirror.

[quote]
Aug 1st 465 lbs
Week#1 Aug 8th 471 lbs
Week #2 Aug 15th 465 lbs
Week #3 Aug 25th 463 lbs
Week#4 Sep 1st 461 lbs
Weight 461 lbs

well I lost 2 lbs and I have to be honest and say I am a little let down I really thought I was going to see 5lbs ish. I thought only losing 2 lbs last week meant I had some water to shed still but I guess not. I know I was in ketosis all week I tested with strips daily and was good.[/quote]

Hey, two pounds is two pounds! Try to view ANY loss as a good thing!

Wait. You’re considering swapping your current diet (on which you just lost 2 pounds) for a diet that you can lose 2 pounds a week? Huh? There will be times when the most you’ll lose on ANY diet is 1 or 2 pounds. It happens. Or maybe you just had a mediocre week or two?

I think you just hit a minor bump in the road. I’d try to avoid the temptation of changing diets every couple of weeks. From an emotional standpoint I think flip-flopping from one diet to another does more harm than good; you start out full of expectation … on an emotional high, then tank when weight loss slows and the diet gets uncomfortable or monotonous. Why not tweak the ketosis diet into a CKD? You don’t have to follow Lyle’s outline exactly, just manipulate the carb(s)as needed to so the cravings don’t send you on a bender. Or you could learn to manage your cravings with behavior modification, which isn’t as easy as feeding the cravings, but might be worth a try.

Not being a hardass, but if this was easy you’d have reached your goal a dozen diets ago. This is where the rubber meets the road … one of those “suck it up” moments where you have to decide what sort of ‘discomfort’ you’re willing to live with … then do it. Hey, you’ve been dealing with the discomfort of being morbidly obese for some time … obviously, you’re a lot tougher than you think you are! :wink:

Don’t get discouraged … just stay the course!

Welcome, and good luck!

Cappy

[quote]JohnnyNinja wrote:
Remember, the weight took a long time to put on and you didn’t watch the scale in anticipation while it happened.

It was a steady effort to put the weight on, it was day in day out over time. It is the same thing now. Just keep on keeping on. Drive forward and look for changes in the rearview mirror.[/quote]

Yeah I am ok I realize it seemed a lot worse this morning. The thing is I switched to the Low Carb diet looking for that inspiration of a big loss week and never got it. I think I was looking for the easy way out and I need to quit doing that so I came home posted and went to bed. I just woke up and will be going to work out in a bit. I plan to take out the frustration on the wieghts now.

[quote]Capacity wrote:

Aug 1st 465 lbs
Week#1 Aug 8th 471 lbs
Week #2 Aug 15th 465 lbs
Week #3 Aug 25th 463 lbs
Week#4 Sep 1st 461 lbs
Weight 461 lbs

well I lost 2 lbs and I have to be honest and say I am a little let down I really thought I was going to see 5lbs ish. I thought only losing 2 lbs last week meant I had some water to shed still but I guess not. I know I was in ketosis all week I tested with strips daily and was good.

Hey, two pounds is two pounds! Try to view ANY loss as a good thing!

I am going to possibly look at just going back to a clean reduced calorie cutting diet. I can lose 2 lbs a week with that as well.

Wait. You’re considering swapping your current diet (on which you just lost 2 pounds) for a diet that you can lose 2 pounds a week? Huh? There will be times when the most you’ll lose on ANY diet is 1 or 2 pounds. It happens. Or maybe you just had a mediocre week or two?

I think you just hit a minor bump in the road. I’d try to avoid the temptation of changing diets every couple of weeks. From an emotional standpoint I think flip-flopping from one diet to another does more harm than good; you start out full of expectation … on an emotional high, then tank when weight loss slows and the diet gets uncomfortable or monotonous. Why not tweak the ketosis diet into a CKD? You don’t have to follow Lyle’s outline exactly, just manipulate the carb(s)as needed to so the cravings don’t send you on a bender. Or you could learn to manage your cravings with behavior modification, which isn’t as easy as feeding the cravings, but might be worth a try.

It is a catch 22 for me on Keto I am not hungry but really crave carbs after a week or so. On a 40/40/20 type diet I am always hungry.

Not being a hardass, but if this was easy you’d have reached your goal a dozen diets ago. This is where the rubber meets the road … one of those “suck it up” moments where you have to decide what sort of ‘discomfort’ you’re willing to live with … then do it. Hey, you’ve been dealing with the discomfort of being morbidly obese for some time … obviously, you’re a lot tougher than you think you are! :wink:

Don’t get discouraged … just stay the course!

Welcome, and good luck!

Cappy
[/quote]

I think what you are saying is right on the money but I think that is what I was doing 2 weeks ago when I switched to keto. I have 2 choices not be hungry and think about carbs or be hungry and eat all 3 macros. I am and have been an emotional eater and is seems I sabatage both diets with emotions if that makes sense.

On the healthy all around diet when I get real bad ( I am dealing with clinical depression although now medicated it is still a factor) I eat a big crappy meal like McDonalds when on keto I do the same thing. Here is what I thought about last night. I am being a bit of a pussy in the gym and relying too much on diet right now.

I went from driving a fork truck ie/ 0 effort at work to working back on the assembly line which takes alot of effort. I have fallen back on that the last little while and said to my self I can’t work out as hard as I use to cause I have to not be sore to work all day. This is BS and I really think my problem is not with either diet but with being a lazy ass.

So I am going to kick it up and work my ass off in the gym. I am going to do it safe but I am going to move my ass more.The thing is to do this I need to have the energy to put forth the effort so I am putting back some healthy carbs. Whole Grains (once in the morning pre workout) and then veggies and maybe some fruit. The only other carbs will be from milk or cottage cheese before bed but that is not very many.

Breakfast (also Pre workout) today was

3 small eggs
2 100% whole wheat (multigrain toast)
2 tsp Becel light (omega fat spread from canada)
1 tbsp Salsa

Total cals460 fat 17.5 Carbs 48.0 Protein 23.0

I actually used the cal calculators from the V diet even though I know they don’t really apply to the diet I am doing I like the idea of eating a couple hundred more cals on workout days and a couple hundred less on non workout days.

I am going back to a 4 day spit as well

Mon
Chest & Tris
Tue
Shoulders & Abs
Wed OFF
Thu
Legs
Fri
Back & Bis

this is the workout and diet I have had the most success with back in 2006 when I dropped 50 lbs. I F’ed that up with Christmas and trying to do exercises I was not ready for like squats,Bent Over Rows and Deads cause thats what everyone was saying I should do. The problem was at 450lbs (fat) proper form for those exercises was impossible and my back paid the price. I laid myself in a bed for 2 weeks and depression took over.

Not this time Between aug of 06 and dec of 06 I dropped 50lbs eating right and lifting with some compounds and some isolations and machines. Lots of walking. I am going back to that cause I know if I get my mind there it will work. Clean eating no BS cheat days for now and get it done.

OK time to get off this computer and blast chest well blast chest for me :slight_smile: I will post the workout when I get back. Again everyone thanks for the support and although I am a little disapointed that I didn’t lose a bunch of wieght this week I am more determined then anything.

Hi Brad, are you also taking an Omega3 supplement, like Flameout (sold on this site)? It’ll help your health overall, and has been shown to boost fat burning.

I know how bad depression can be, bro. I’ve had bad depression for years and recently I was diagnosed with low testosterone and some other issues, which just makes it worse. But I decided that I did not want to feel bad anymore. Looks like you’re making the same decision, to fight it.

Fight it with everything you have, and if you need to talk, let me know and we can swap phone numbers (just don’t post it here, of course).

[quote]RhunDraco wrote:
Hi Brad, are you also taking an Omega3 supplement, like Flameout (sold on this site)? It’ll help your health overall, and has been shown to boost fat burning.

I know how bad depression can be, bro. I’ve had bad depression for years and recently I was diagnosed with low testosterone and some other issues, which just makes it worse. But I decided that I did not want to feel bad anymore. Looks like you’re making the same decision, to fight it.

Fight it with everything you have, and if you need to talk, let me know and we can swap phone numbers (just don’t post it here, of course).[/quote]

WOW man thanks so much it really is something that is hard to grasp unless you are dealing with it. I had it as a teenager and it is part of the reason I quit doing sports and started hiding away in my room playing guitar. If I played bad and someone would say something it would trigger weeks of problems. Yeah knowing is half the battle and working through it (meds, exercise ect) is the other half. I take Fish oil caps and usually a serv of milled flax seed a day and tbsp olive oil. I also use a omega 3 spread instead of butter or margrine.

Here was my workout today many of the lifts will go up but I was unsure where to set weights for just a chest and tri workout

Todays Workout Chest and Tris

Bench Press. 65.lbs/10, 115.lbs/10, 115.lbs/10, 115.lbs/10 (^) <going up
Incline Press. 70.lbs/10, 70.lbs/10, 70.lbs/10
(Smith Mach)
Tricep Kickbacks. 10.lbs/10, 15.lbs/10, 15.lbs/10, 15.lbs/10 (^)
Tricep Pushdowns. 100.lbs/10, 100.lbs/10, 100.lbs/10
&
D.B. Flys. 20.lbs/10, 20.lbs/10, 20.lbs/10
(Super set)

15 mins walking on the treadmill @ 2 mph 1/2 mile total.

I don’t want to raise too many lifts at once so I will raise one for each body part. After I get to real spot where I am unable to do 3 sets of 10reps I will raise the weight when I do 3 sets of 10reps 2weeks in a row.

Ok I will be adding some supps I have not been using much but I have a friend who works at A Supp store and gives me his price if not free stuff :slight_smile:

Some times its out of date but just barely.

So now that I am using carbs here is all the supps I took today

Multi
Whey Protein
Fish Oil
Joint Formula
Creatine Mono and Ethyl ester
Greens Supp
Hoodia
Fat Burner @ euphoric Stimulant stack
Sustained Release Formula Protein
Sleeping supp
daily dose asprin

I know its alot but I didn’t mention any names( dont know the rules out here)

and if it wasn’t free I paid like 1/4 the price :slight_smile:

Your workouts will evolve with your progress. You have the right idea, slow and steady. It’s the best way to prevent injuries. At this point injuries are your worst enemy. Having to take weeks off to heal can set you right back to square one.

You seem to know there your going and pretty much how to get there. That’s got me interested in your journey. Here it’s about the daily struggle were all endure in pursuit of personal goals. A common place to share our struggles and give our support. Stay strong Bro, this is for life!