T Nation

From 35 to 40

Hey I have been extreamly overweight since highschool when I quit playing sports and got into playing music and video games.I was always chubby but played every and any sport I could up until the end of my freshman year. Suddenly the chubby kid with good skills was not enough to make the teams anymore.

So from then till I went to work at age 20 I got up to about 285lbs. Then as I got more seniority I got better jobs and in 5 years I was pushing 370lbs. That was the first time I ever tried lifting and working out for weight loss. I had a friend who was very competative locally and he set me up with a diet plan and workout plan. I lost 30 lbs and the girl I had been living with left me and took my daughter who was less then a year. This event lead me to a depression that led to drugs and self medication and eventually I was well over 400lbs.

After a few years I went to rehab and while at rehab they made us walk everyday and eat pretty healthy. When I got out and went back to work I weighed myself of the shipping scale and I was at 488lbs (AUG06). I started to post on a couple boards and lifting and cleaning up my diet and in 6 months got down around the 420’s but christmas came and again serious depression. I also was experiencing some serious physical issues in my knees and back from doing dead lifts and squats while being so big I could not keep strict enough form.

Long Story Short (I know too late for that lol) I have been up and down since then but a month ago I was back up to 471 I started to take it serious again. 2 weeks ago I switched to a CKD (Anabolic type) diet.I also started doing a workout based on the navy seal workouts that I found on the internet. As of last monday 3 weeks I was down to 463lbs but I was not in ketosis. This week I have been for at least the last 3 days and will weigh in tommorow I am hoping for the 450’s. My goal is to move down 10 lbs a month at least untill I hit the 399 lbs mark then I will prob slow down some.

I found this board a couple days ago after following a link to the V-Diet which I may try in the future. I been lurking a while and today I decided to join and reap the great advice I see given out here daily.

Brad

You have a couple of things going for you. First you understand the magnitude of the task ahead of you. Slow and continuous and never look back. Second, you found an awesome site and the best form on that site. There is a lot of support for those who are serious.

Welcome Brad, I look forward to reading your blog and offering up my support. This is for life!

[quote]streamline wrote:
You have a couple of things going for you. First you understand the magnitude of the task ahead of you. Slow and continuous and never look back. Second, you found an awesome site and the best form on that site. There is a lot of support for those who are serious.

Welcome Brad, I look forward to reading your blog and offering up my support. This is for life![/quote]

WOW I knew from lurking around this forum was different then the others but I can’t believe someone responded already. Thanks so much for your encouragment. I think it was a matter of time for me and the time is right. The old saying “when the pain of staying the same is greatern then the pain of changing.” thats where I am at. I was there 2 years ago but didn’t have the knowledge or determination I do this time.

thanks agian for the support

Ditto what Streamline says. This is a great place for real accountablity. Lifestyle changes are the hardest to engage. But it’s a change you can make.

Welcome to the site.

As Dr Phil would say,“today is a changing day of your life.” Most of the folks here are genuine, listen learn and commit yourself. The rewards are endless. I like to quote so here’s my favorite:

“My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is Heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, diluted, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate… at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in a maze of mediocrity. I won’t give up, shut up, let up, or slow up.”~ Robert Moorehead

Welcome

As someone who has come come from a history of obesity and substance abuse (me), I always used to hear from the people in recovery say, “I got sick and tired of being sick and tired”. Until I too got “sick and tired” my life didn’t change.

I am coming up on four years of a positive lifestyle, and although no day is easy, it’s way easier then drugging or eating my way out of pain. Thinking it wouldn’t return the next day…
I applaud your honesty and your bravery for posting here, and would like to say welcome in the most sincere way. We are all here to help each other, and I’m sure you’ll fit right in.

Thanks j_willy3 and barryjenkins00 and great quote. It’s funny cause one of the reasons I joined this board after looking around was because of the honest support.

The other board has great people but they are mostly supportive even if you are screwing up or d-bags who never stop talking about why is a fat person at a bodybuilding site.

Here I saw people calling people on their sheet when they were slacking off but being supportive at the same time. Tuff Love kind of mentality and that appeals to me alot.

[quote]KNB wrote:
As someone who has come come from a history of obesity and substance abuse (me), I always used to hear from the people in recovery say, “I got sick and tired of being sick and tired”. Until I too got “sick and tired” my life didn’t change.

I am coming up on four years of a positive lifestyle, and although no day is easy, it’s way easier then drugging or eating my way out of pain. Thinking it wouldn’t return the next day…
I applaud your honesty and your bravery for posting here, and would like to say welcome in the most sincere way. We are all here to help each other, and I’m sure you’ll fit right in.

[/quote]

Thanks man everything you said could have came right from my mouth. I have tried to avoid pain and the parts of me I didn’t like for years. Now I realize that if I face the sheety parts of me I may have a chance to change them but if I keep trying to bury them with drugs/ food ect I will die young and unhappy and that just is not going to work for me.

1. post your food intake. It’ll make you more accountable. One can still lie in logs, but doing so publicly is uncomfortable.

2. Don’t do AD, the weekend carb-ups will slow your fat loss down.

3)Meat, veggies (as much as you want to eat), water(a lot) and coffee sweetened with cream should be the only things you eat, besides some sort of multivitamin or non-caloric supplements.

1. stay away from diet anything. The artificial sweeteners cause the same insulin reaction and subsequent fat storage that carbs and sugars do. Our bodies are not adapted to fake sweeteners. The insulin release starts as soon as the tongue tastes sweetness.

Yesterday is gone and dead. The future is imagination. All you have is the now in which to make your choices.

Wishing you the best of luck in slimming down.

It’s just a choice; make it.

That is what I tell myself whenever I am faced with an obstacle that is seemingly too great.

It is just a choice; make it.

When I quit smoking cold turkey after 13 years of 2 packs a day it was because I finally made the choice. When I put my depression behind me as a debilitation as opposed to something I will live (LIFE) with, no longer allowing it to get in the way. I can go on and on with the choices I have made that when looking them in the face seemed insurmountable but once I made the choice to change, truly made the choice, then the path became clear and the journey was laid out before me. Not to say that it isn’t hard, isn’t work, isn’t scary. No, not at all. It is simply GOING to be done, because I made the choice to do so.

You can do this! You have the ability to change! You have the ability to stick to your choice! You have the ability to NOT turn back. It is your choice to make the right or wrong decision. Make the right choice and continue to make the right choice. That is your choice- to choose in the face of seemingly insurmountable adversity the right choice, time and time again.

You will do it.

[quote]skidmark wrote:

1. post your food intake. It’ll make you more accountable. One can still lie in logs, but doing so publicly is uncomfortable.

2. Don’t do AD, the weekend carb-ups will slow your fat loss down.

3)Meat, veggies (as much as you want to eat), water(a lot) and coffee sweetened with cream should be the only things you eat, besides some sort of multivitamin or non-caloric supplements.

1. stay away from diet anything. The artificial sweeteners cause the same insulin reaction and subsequent fat storage that carbs and sugars do. Our bodies are not adapted to fake sweeteners. The insulin release starts as soon as the tongue tastes sweetness.

Yesterday is gone and dead. The future is imagination. All you have is the now in which to make your choices.

Wishing you the best of luck in slimming down.[/quote]

Thanks bro I pretty much got my diet dialed in now I will post a few fitdays from this week. I plan on only carbing up once a month. It is much more in line with the CKD as described by Lyle McDonald in “The Ketogenic Diet”.

I do have a couple diet sodas but have not had an issue with them yet. I drink a gallon of water a day and would eventually like to quit the sodas all together.

I think I have fitdays for MON/TUE/THU. I don’t do it everyday if I am eating pretty much the same things. I have some test strips I got free from work I cut a bunch in half and I have lots so I have been testing day and night for the first 2 weeks. I have been steady deep keto for the last 6 days.

I tried to attach a pic of my fitday but its not working lol.

Total Cals 2,048 Fat 137.2 Carbs 35.4 Protein158.4

Cals  Fat  Carbs  Pro

Compliments Salsa 25 0.2 5.0 1.0
Lilydale Tailgait Sausage 560 36.0 4.0 52.0
Gray Ridge Small Egg 240 14.0 0.0 20.0
Cheddar Cheese gramskglboz 480 40.0 0.0 28.0
Pork chop 436 25.4 0.0 48.6
Broccoli, cooked 205 10.2 26.4 8.7
Butter 102 11.5 0.0 0.1

Total 2,048 137.2 35.4 158.4

Fat (62%) Carbs (7%) Protein (32%) Alcohol (0%)

[quote]JohnnyNinja wrote:
It’s just a choice; make it.

That is what I tell myself whenever I am faced with an obstacle that is seemingly too great.

When I quit smoking cold turkey after 13 years of 2 packs a day it was because I finally made the choice. When I put my depression behind me as a debilitation as opposed to something I will live (LIFE) with, no longer allowing it to get in the way. I can go on and on with the choices I have made that when looking them in the face seemed insurmountable but once I made the choice to change, truly made the choice, then the path became clear and the journey was laid out before me. Not to say that it isn’t hard, isn’t work, isn’t scary. No, not at all. It is simply GOING to be done, because I made the choice to do so.

You can do this! You have the ability to change! You have the ability to stick to your choice! You have the ability to NOT turn back. It is your choice to make the right or wrong decision. Make the right choice and continue to make the right choice. That is your choice- to choose in the face of seemingly insurmountable adversity the right choice, time and time again.

You will do it.

[/quote]

Thanks I will read this everytime I am feeling like I can’t do it anymore. It’s a choice I like that.

Bro, I’m not a bodybuilder and there’s a lot of us here that are not. I could care less what my bodyfat is. I turned 53 a few days ago, I want to be stronger in 3 months than I was today. Then i want to be stronger than I was then and so on. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Here, we get hurt, act stupid, eat wrong, and perservere.

There is bullshit here but overall you’ll have a ton of support. Here’s another:
“The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.”
William James
Off your ass and on your feet, the Missouri Mule is watching and praying for you.

1.) I would encourage you to get a full blood test from your doc and see what your hormones are doing. Lots of weird hormonal things popup being large and over 35.

2.) Don’t try to over do anything, for a while I wasn’t putting on muscle so I started overtraining and eventually threw my back out really nicely, took a few weeks before I was back in the gym.

3.) Eat tons of veggies, mostly green leafy, broccoli is your best friend next to protein. And also make sure you get your mono and poly unsaturated fats in everyday.

Don’t get frustrated if every now and then the scale doesn’t move because your putting on muscle also. Don’t give up dude, you can lose it!!

[quote]rich6176 wrote:
1.) I would encourage you to get a full blood test from your doc and see what your hormones are doing. Lots of weird hormonal things popup being large and over 35.

2.) Don’t try to over do anything, for a while I wasn’t putting on muscle so I started overtraining and eventually threw my back out really nicely, took a few weeks before I was back in the gym.

3.) Eat tons of veggies, mostly green leafy, broccoli is your best friend next to protein. And also make sure you get your mono and poly unsaturated fats in everyday.

Don’t get frustrated if every now and then the scale doesn’t move because your putting on muscle also. Don’t give up dude, you can lose it!![/quote]

Thanks Rich I just had my blood work done and my dr said if he didn’t know it was mine he would not believe it everything looked perfect. When I told him I was going to do a Low Carb diet he insisted I get my blood checked every 6 months so he could keep and eye on it.

He is very knowledgable and gave me the lots of fiber, gree veggs and omegas :slight_smile:

Pretty much everything you just said so I am covering my bases pretty good.

I am just comming off a serious back injury so I am taking it pretty slow and like you say I just want to be a bit more in shape next week then I was this week.

Thanks for the post

Hey Brad. Congrats on making a change to a healty lifestyle. If you need any advice, this would be the place. I weighed in at over 360 lbs. on Thanksgiving Day (down from a high of 380 or so). That morning I decided to get serious about getting my health back. I started eating healthier that day. Quit drinking Coke cold turkey. I used to consume 120 oz. a day-minimum. As of today I’m at 237. I will eventual add before/after pics to my profile. I just hate dealing w/ computers…

I would suggest dropping the diet sodas from your menu. As others have pointed out, the artificial sweeteners are not doing you any favors. I live by the ‘don’t drink your calories’ motto (exceptions are made for protein powders).

Good luck to you!

Just wanted to say welcome. Can’t help you much in the diet department but I’m here to provide you well thought out, insightful, and cutting edge advice on lifting. Ok, so I’m just here for the support.

Glad you posted. This isn’t going to be quick and it isn’t going to be easy but brother is it ever going to be fun! Keep your head on straight and taking day after day doing the thing and you will make it.

Welcome Here!

Welcome SHW.The folks here will help with feedback and support.Healthy lifestyle changes and don’t look back!!!

Yo Brad. Glad you’re taking the first big step. I know what it’s like to battle addictions, I’ve been doing it every hour for the past 25 years. You’ve been to re-hab, you know the drill, you know what to do.

And I’m one hell of a mean, badass drill sargeant. And I’m watching you. Consider yourself warned ;^)

Best of luck to you.