From 280 to 192: 6-Year Rollercoaster Ride. Feedback on Where to Go Next?

I’ve had a bit of a rollercoaster ride in terms of weight and health. At 29, I was 280+ lbs chainsmoking heartattack waiting to happen. Luckily, I gradually started turning things around at that point. I lost 40 lbs quite quickly, then struggled losing and gaining back the same 20 lbs for a few years thus hovering around 220-240lbs (for reference, I’m 6"0).

Pic above is me 6 years ago, a month or two after I started working out/watching diet a bit. Roughly 260lbs I’d guess (so not at the heaviest I ever was, but close enough and it’s the only shirtless pic I have from those days)

I’m 35 now, and 7 months ago I finally decided to go all in. Discovered bodybuilding and developed a macro based plan reading up across the web. Initially high protein, low carb and moderate fat.

This is me at the start of this cut 7 months ago at 235lbs
mfp-progress-photos-share-artifact-1512144349409

I’ve now taken a more carb cycling approach as my training intensified and my fear of carbs subsided. I’d average about 2150 calories daily though as I progressed I also started taking in more calories on heavy workout days and lower on rest days. I’m at on average 2300 calories right now, and still losing about 2lbs/month on this, macro split about 40-40-20.

I started doing full body workouts but have shifted to a more ‘bro split’ approach the past 2 months. 5 days a week following a 2 days ‘on’, 1 day ‘off’ shedule. Not much cardio, about a 30 min jog once a week, and I also bike to work for 30 mins total several days/week.

These are my current shape pics (192lbs), with my best attempts at some poses. Would love feedback and pointers on weak parts that need bringing up.

I personally find the shoulders and lower back especially lacking, and see asymmetry with my right side being more developed. A bit surprised as I do quite a lot of dumbell work, so any tips appreciated! Also tips for lower back development welcome!

Would also like opinions on whether I keep cutting, or if you think it’s time for some lean bulking/maintaining?

thanks!

2 Likes

Shit man, really well done, you should be very proud of your accomplishment!

I agree your shoulders could look a bit bigger. I would like bigger legs but yours arnt exactly lagging. Good calves, I’m jealous!

I don’t really think you have anything really lagging. I would just eat a bit over maintenance and try to keep building quality mass. If you get a bit puffy maybe do a mini cut here and there.

Heaps of different ways to go about it, just find something that suits you.

1 Like

thx for the feedback, much appreciated. I’v never actually trained calves, just have the same big calves as my dad, lucky with genetics on that front tbh. Since I did a lot of full body work in the beginning I can’t say I’ve neglected legs overall, but am seing most change there recently since incorporating a proper leg day in the routine (and suffering the accompanying DOMS…)

Probably also helped having to log around all that extra weight for years lol

Very nice dude! Excellent work! Nice to see them legs! I am about the same height and physique as you, and I would say more shoulders, a bit more arms (your forearms are really great tho! So I think you must use them too much when curling, try to extend slightly the wrists) and a bit of traps. But it’s just to give you some pointers because I think you look really good!

1 Like

Fantastic job–one of the most amazing transformations posted here that I can recall.

I don’t think you should change anything about your training or (especially) diet. For goodness’ sake, do not bulk–your fat cells aren’t gone, they’re only dormant, and just waiting for an extended period of calories above maintenance to swell back up again.

Keep training hard, and keep carb cycling at/just below maintenance. The muscles will come, and the remaining fat will go. Congrats again.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. Tbh I’m very wary of bulking. Once you’ve been fat like that and worked hard to shed it, it’s tough to switch to a mindset where you’re actually trying to gain weight and I don’t think I’m even mentally ready for that.

I do feel like I’m in a good place diet and exercise wise atm, and still got a few hundred calories to play with before hitting maintenance if I’d need a bit of a break, so will take your advice to heart.

I just started TRT as well last week (on doc’s orders) so I guess that will only help things along as well and also up to now I’ve relied exclusively on my fairly modest home gym setup, and am now looking into a gym membership. These two things should leave plenty of room for growth indeed in the upcoming months without tweaking the diet too much…

Former fat boy here. I can relate.

Bingo. Don’t change your diet; let the TRT do its thing.