FROGGBUSTER's Training Log

09/12/09:

Bodyweight: 154.0lbs waking up pre-shit, 156.2lbs at time of Chins

Bench: 162.5lbs (5/5?/5?) - had help with 5th reps of last 2 sets i think, will repeat next time

Front Squat: 185lbs (3x3) - very heavy

Chins: BW (11/10) - +1.8lbs bodyweight, so reps decreased

Deadlift: 200lbs x 5 - only one set, back felt weirdish after 1st set

Bad workout, bad circumstances.

09/15/09:

Bodyweight: 154.4lbs waking up pre-shit

OH Press: 105lbs (3x7) [11:41] - last set was very tough

Back Squat: 225lbs (4x5) [14:05] - i was going to do 5 sets, but my lower back is a little injured so i cut it short

DB Chest Press: 55lbs (2x10) - pretty tough actually

Kroc Rows: 50lbs (2x10) - good form for the most part

Warming up on back squats I could sense that something was not quite right with my lower back. I’m getting small twinges of pain just holding the bar at the top on my shoulders. It probably started from the weirdness I felt doing deadlifts on Saturday.

I hope it’s nothing serious. I’ll do no squatting or deadlifting on Friday, and see how warmups feel on Sunday. I might do some back extensions though to get some blood flowing through that area.

No heavy squatting again until this is resolved.

09/18/09:

Bodyweight: 154.6lbs waking up pre-shit

Bench: 150lbs (4x7) [17:24] - much easier than i expected

Leg Press: 4x45lbs + 2x35lbs (3x10) - much harder than expected lol, got a burn and pump

Chins: +10lbs (10/8) - dunno what bodyweight was

Hamstring Curls: 45lbs x many reps

09/20/09:

Bodyweight: 153.8lbs waking up pre-shit, oops

OH Press: 107.5lbs (7/7/6*) [16:25] - didn’t touch on that 6th one actually

Back Squat: Warmed up to 245lbsx1

DB Chest Press: 55lbs (10/11) - brought the dumbbells closer to the neck during the 2nd set and became much easier

Kroc Rows: 50lbs (2x11)

Lost weight, I think my scale is fucking up.

Back tweak is gone, but I only warmed up today because my left hamstring felt weird. Didn’t want to risk it.

09/23/09:

Bodyweight: ??, lost weight though i know for sure

Bench Press: 153.5lbs (3x7) [10.5mins] - lol clips

Back Squat: 225lbs (5/2) - my back felt funny again, i think i know why…

Leg Press: 45lbs x 6 (2x10) - pretty tough

My back felt the same way it did when I tweaked it a week ago today. I think there’s something wrong with my form. I had been actively try to sit back into the squat, and for some reason this causes me to lose intra-abdominal pressure. It explains the reason why something didn’t feel quite right recently when I squatted, like there was some extra compressive force on my lower discs.

Well, I guess the solution is just to rest up again and see how things are on Friday during warmups. I’ll try to squat very slow and controlled.

09/26/09:

Bodyweight: ??, 157.0lbs at the end of last night

OH Press: 108.5lbs (3x6) [13:31] - tough, gets easier when pressing with elbows outish

Back Squat: 245lbs x 1; 265lbs x 1; 265lbs x1 - belted; back tweaked up again after second single with 265lbs

DB Chest Press: 55lbs (2x12) - 2nd set very hard and tough, barely got the last rep

Bulgarian Split Squats: +50lbs (1x16) - tough!

DB Rows: 50lbs (2x12) - pretty tough as well

The singles were pretty easy, surprisingly… but then back tweaked up. Was going to go for 4 or 5 of them.

Need to take longer than 3-day break for back obviously. I’ll take some considerable time off from squatting and work on assistant exercises. I’m really liking the split squats.

I’ll incorporate Leg Press, Split Squats, Hamstring Curls, Ab work, and Back Extensions.

Edit:

Workout A: 3 x Bench, 3 x Leg Press, 2 x DB OH Press, 1 x Abs, Back extensions

Workout B: 3 x OH Press, 3 x Split Squats, 2 x DB Chest Press, 1 x Hamstring Curls, 2 x DB Rows

09/29/09:

Bodyweight: ??, didn’t eat much today

Bench: 156.0lbs (3x7) [14:02] - heavy and tough

Leg Press: 45lbsx6 (2x12) - heavy and very tough

DB OH Press: 35lbs (1x9) - very tough for the left arm

Just went and did some structural exercises today + 1 set of accessories, skimped out on Abs + Back extensions. I have a midterm tomorrow and need to study. I also have one next week, so workouts could get cut down or even skipped near Thursday of next week.

Left tricep and shoulder muscles were way more fatigued doing the DB OH Presses than my right one. I guess that means my left arm is a lot weaker than my right one. Something to keep in mind I guess.

10/02/09:

Bodyweight: ??

OH Press: 111.0lbs (6/5); 101.0lbs (8/8) [24:26]

Bulgarian Split Squats: +50lbs (2x15) - these are brutal conditioning-wise lol

DB Rows: 50lbs (2x13) - not bad

Decline Abs: +60lbs (1x20)

Not happy with OH Press progress recently, probably due to lack of sleep. Decided to up the volume today after missing the 6th rep of 111.0lbs. Took out DB Chest Press today because of the high-volume pressing.

I was pretty burned out after the split squats, so my lazy ass didn’t do hamstring curls lol.

how long have you been lifting seriously and whats up with all the timed sets and whatnot

On/off for 2 years. I like to keep time of some of the exercises so I can try to beat it if I repeat the same weight/sets/reps in the future.

OK and how old are you?

your username seems familiar from when i was on the teen bodybuilding forums @ another site 1-2 yrs ago…

Yea, that’s me lol. I am 20.

Edit: Hey Young, can you contact me PM if you want to know anything further? I’d like to keep my training log as clean possible. Entry after entry. Thanks.

10/04/09:

Bodyweight: 155.4lbs waking up pre-shit

Bench: 158.5lbs (3x7) [14:47] - hard and tough

Leg Press: 45lbsx6 (2x13) - 2nd set very very tough

DB OH Press: 30lbs (2x12) - had a little trouble locking out the later reps

Back Extensions: BW (5x12) - rehab for lower back, felt it in my glutes quite a bit though

Going down to 3x6 for bench next time.

Also, got a pullup bar at home now; I’m going to do a few sets of 4 or 5 through the day on my off-days, greasing-the-groove style.

10/05/09:

Chins: 5/5/5/4

10/06/09:

Bodyweight: 155.7lbs waking up pre-shit

OH Press: 120lbs (4x2) [17:58] - first double was easy, next 3 were hard lol

Bulgarian Split Squats: +70lbs (2x12) - kept on losing my balance, these were pretty tough

DB Rows: 50lbs (2x14) - not bad at all

Decline Abs: +70lbs (1x17) - #17 was really really hard so i just stopped after that rep, should have done 65lbs actually

DB Chest Press: 55lbs (1x13) - only one set cuz i was pretty tired

I had a McDonalds vanilla cone + protein shake afterward, lol. Unfortunately, I pass McDonalds on my way back from the gym. :frowning:

dont u want to avoid the cone after workout instead of eating it then

10/10/09:

Bodyweight: ??, probably lighter than I should be

Bench: 161.0lbs (3x6) [14:35] - heavy; 3rd set was easiest because i made adjustments to my form, rolling my wrists back at the bottom helps a lot

Back Squat: 206lbs (3x5) - tough

DB OH Press: 30lbs (1x18); 35lbs (1x12?) - forgot how many reps i hit with 35lbs lol, think it was 12ish

Deadlift: 136lbs (2x16) - tough, i might lower the amount of reps next time

Decline Abs: 70lbs (1x20) - tough again

Bench today was more difficult than I thought it would be. This is probably due to poor nutrition and sleep over the past couple of days. I’m glad I hit all my reps.

Back to squatting. I did notice some stiffness in my lower back when I was setting up my arch benching, but it did not seem to affect my squats at all. 206lbs was tough, but I guess that’s what happens when I haven’t seriously squatted in a month. I am apprehensive though, gonna be careful and see what happens. You would think 2 weeks off would be good enough but you never know…

My DB OH pressing took off. Last time 2x12 with 30lbs was tough, but this time I hit 30s for 18 reps before it got tough. I don’t think I changed my form or anything either, so it means I got stronger. Yay. This bodes well for my OH pressing strength in general.

I’m not going to do heavy deadlifts anymore. Frankly, I don’t care for deadlifts. However, they are a good accessory exercise for squats, so I am going to treat them as such. 2xhighreps is good enough.

10/11/09:

Chins: 4/4/4/4/4

10/12/09:

Bodyweight: ??, forgot to weigh myself

OH Press: 111.0lbs (3x5) [10:07] - heavy

Squat: 211lbs (1x3) - back felt tweakish again

DB Chest Press: 55lbs (14/12)

Back Extensions: BW (4x15) - got a nice pump going

DB Rows: 50lbs (2x16) - heavy, lots of cheating going on in the second set

Well, it looks like I was wrong. I’ve made only a minor improvement to my OH Press since a month ago, looking back in my log. Hopefully, that will change soon with the added DB OH Presses for more volume.

I’m going to have to be more active in rehabbing my back. I didn’t do anything active for it and just rested for 2 weeks, and apparently that is not the way to go. I also am going to not deadlift for the time being. For some reason, I think it may be contributing to my fucked up back, even though I feel fine deadlifting. Better safe than sorry.

Back to leg press and bulgarian split squats for the time being I guess…

10/14/09:

Bodyweight: 155.6lbs waking up (IIRC))

Bench: 163.5lbs (3x6) [12:53] - more tough than heavy

Back Squat: 211lbs (3x5) - no tweaks

DB OH Press: 35lbs (12/10) - first set was all full reps; 2nd set cheated a little, brought them up higher to ear-level as the set went on

Decline Abs: +70lbs (1x20) - sort of tough, but much more doable than last time

Bench was good, definitely got stronger on that.

As I said, no discomfort squatting today. I discovered I have very tight knots along the length of my erectors. I also have been reading Robin McGivens book and did a lot of a particular stretch yesterday. These 2 things seemed to have helped a lot. I will continue to do them and see what happens. I also have a chiropractor appointment scheduled for next week to get some adjustments done.

I noticed that it’s very hard for me to lock out the DB OH Presses, it will suddenly get much much harder to push through the weight once the DBs get to the top of my head. I will ask around for advice on that.

Good day, good workout.

Also, I was doing chinups yesterday and the wooden attachment to the top of the door just ripped off mid-rep. So, no more chins lol.

10/17/09:

Bodyweight: 155.2lbs waking up pre-shit

OH Press: 113.5lbs (3x5) [10:11] - not as hard as I expected, finished in a good time, this is a 3x5 PR

Squat: 216lbs (3x5) - no tweaks

DB Chest Press: 55lbs (2x13) - hard

Deadlift: 136lbs (1x6) - back tweaked up at #6

DB Rows: 55lbs (2x10) - heavy actually

Back Extensions: BW (3x15) - flushing blood through the area

I did not expect my back to tweak up during deadlifts, especially if they hadn’t tweaked up during squats. I don’t know what’s up with that. The good news is that my rehab is working. I’ve been doing the McGivens extension stretch, massage, and some reverse hypers (using my desk and bed) at home.

Chiro on Monday.

10/19/09:

Bodyweight: ??

Bench: 166.0lbs (3x5) [13:25] - heavy and hard

Squat: 221lbs (3x5) - felt a little tweak in my sacrum area, due to leaning forward more

DB OH Press: 35lbs (12/11) - great form first set, decent form second set (tiptoed a little near the end to lock out)

Decline Abs: +75lbs (1x18) - left wrist was in a bad position and started hurting, took away from focus

Back Extensions: BW (3x15) - flush blood

Diet was decent and sleep was enough over the past day, but bench took a hit. I didn’t expect 166lbs to be easy, but I did expect to at least get 6/6/5 because 163.5lbs last time wasn’t that bad. I did notice some sore delts yesterday; that was the first time my shoulders have been sore in a while. Perhaps I just need more recovery time.

Squats were okay. I am leaning forward more to activate my posterior chain, and as a result I felt some stiffness in my sacrum on my 14th rep. I need to do some soft tissue work in the area and see what’s up. As for the lower back weirdness, that seems okay for now. I did do lots of massage yesterday in that area.

edit: Back from chiro. No revelations, just tight glutes that I have to work on and massage out in addition to the tight erectors.