Frnt Sqt Conversion to Bck Sqt

Today I did 6 sets of 2-4 reps, going:

4 reps at 185
3 reps at 185
4 reps at 195
3 reps at 195
2 reps at 205
3 reps at 205

I used a shorter than shoulder with stance, stopped short about 2-3 inches above lockout before going back down, and went at or just below parallel on most.

Is there any way to figure out how much I could back squat for 3-4 reps now after this workout, like what front squats usually convert into back squats?

those are some good #'s…the FS is around 80% of the back squat, but that will vary. Good choice going with the FS though.

Check out Dan John’s Spider Web Chart: http://danjohn.org/lincolnowesme.pdf

[quote]chicanerous wrote:
Check out Dan John’s Spider Web Chart: http://danjohn.org/lincolnowesme.pdf[/quote]

That’s cool…now all you need to do is post the link to the page where Dan explains it :slight_smile:

I think this is a very person-dependent question. I can squat 315 (at least, I don’t go higher…) but probably couldn’t do more than half that on a front squat. Best way to find out is to do it yourself.

I saw a girl at my gym yesterday doing front squats ass to grass with 215 lbs, 5 x 5ish. Had a smoking body on her too. Definitely looked like an athlete… most likely a sprinter, although I should’ve asked. I think I was in love. :slight_smile:

well i’m glad that i can take claim to the most weakest lifter who ever took solid programs and massive clean eating seriously award. fugg it all

[quote]Miserere wrote:

That’s cool…now all you need to do is post the link to the page where Dan explains it :-)[/quote]

You can find it in the “Now, the Really ‘Good’ Olympic Lifting Stuff” section of his Old Stuff page on his site: http://www.danjohn.org/gramp.html

There’s no explanation other than “Connect your lifts…work on your weakness!” unless you can find one in one of the articles.

To use the chart, you connect the lift with another one using a straight horizontal line. For example, a 65 kg power snatch connects with an 80 kg snatch and a 130 kg back squat.

I believe you can connect lifts vertically as well. A 125 kg back squat connects with a 105 kg front squat and so on…

Wow, I am off the chart!!!

I think the front squat takes allot of technique and doesn’t relate well to a back squat.

When I was Bobsledding my front squat was actually better than my back squat.

I guess the chart would be valid if you spent equal time training both front and back.

[quote]chicanerous wrote:
You can find it in the “Now, the Really ‘Good’ Olympic Lifting Stuff” section of his Old Stuff page on his site: http://www.danjohn.org/gramp.html

There’s no explanation other than “Connect your lifts…work on your weakness!” unless you can find one in one of the articles.

To use the chart, you connect the lift with another one using a straight horizontal line. For example, a 65 kg power snatch connects with an 80 kg snatch and a 130 kg back squat.

I believe you can connect lifts vertically as well. A 125 kg back squat connects with a 105 kg front squat and so on…[/quote]

Well, I went and got the info straight from the horse’s mouth. You have to connect all your lifts via lines (going from one lift to the next). I’ve you have a balanced set of lifts, your lines should look like a square. If one of them deviates from the square pattern, then you have yourself a weakness (or a strength).

Does that make sense?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]scotty144 wrote:
I think the front squat takes allot of technique and doesn’t relate well to a back squat.[/quote]

That is very true in the beginning, but I think that once you’ve got your FS technique down, you’re only going to be limited by the weight you’re lifting, and this weight will likely be close to your back squat, and maybe even higher if all youever do are FSs.

Can anybody point me towards how to do a front squat correctly? I can’t seem to do them without bruising my arms, only heaven knows what I’m doing wrong. I know. I know. I’m an idiot. Freely admitted.

I think it depends on how much you practice the lifts. I’ve heard it’s supposed to be about 80%. Mine’s about 72% right now. But I haven’t back squated since June cause I hurt my back, so I doubt I could even come close to my true back squat max.

[quote]wyrd1 wrote:
Can anybody point me towards how to do a front squat correctly? I can’t seem to do them without bruising my arms, only heaven knows what I’m doing wrong. I know. I know. I’m an idiot. Freely admitted.[/quote]

If every time I posted this link I got $1…

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=890172

who cares about the conversion, front squats kick ass!!!

[quote]scotty144 wrote:
Wow, I am off the chart!!!

[/quote]

I’m pretty sure its in kilo’s making the back squat start at about 215 lbs. did you already know that?

[quote]evansmi wrote:
I’m pretty sure its in kilo’s making the back squat start at about 215 lbs. did you already know that?[/quote]

It’s actually in both :slight_smile: If you’re a girl, who’s just starting out, you’ll want to read those numbers as pounds, not kilos.