Friend's Interesting Legal Situation

Ok, I’m a junior in highschool. Small school of 250, town of 1600. Not much goes on here. But recently, a situation happened that is beyond ridiculous. Two highschool seniors, Alex and Ryan, don’t get along. At lunch, Alex sits by Ryan, they argue, Alex hits Ryan in the face with a spoonful of beans. They confront, no blows exchanged, situation seems diffused.

Next day, Ryan tells a couple people, including the Superintendent’s daughter, that he’s gonna bring a gun to school. He gets suspended, police pick him up, the works. Seems kinda like it’s over, right? Wrong. Seems that today, 4 or so days later, Alex is going to be charged with Battery for the said legume launching. A couple months ago two people fought with fists and got week suspensions, and nothing more.

One person hits another with BEANS, and gets sued. He’s not even being sued by anyone connected to Ryan. He’s being sued by the local DA. Seems like an odd situation. Opinions? not sure if this should be in politics or not, it’s kinda a small scale situation.

Who gets hit with a spoonful of anything and doesn’t DO anything?

My meaning being they should have fought, and that should have been the end of it. Fucking kids now all want to be gangsters.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

My meaning being they should have fought, and that should have been the end of it. …[/quote]

Might have been nice if the bean-thrower would have apologized and that were the end of it.

[quote]NealRaymond2 wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

My meaning being they should have fought, and that should have been the end of it. …

Might have been nice if the bean-thrower would have apologized and that were the end of it.
[/quote]

No doubt, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Get the media involved. That makes everything better.

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
Next day, Ryan tells a couple people, including the Superintendent’s daughter, that he’s gonna bring a gun to school.
[/quote]

That’s the difference, right there.
No one can mouth off like that in this day and age and get away with it. It’s taken downright, no-joke, fuckin’ seriously, no questions asked, by Authority when a kid threatens gun violence in a school setting, in the wake of Columbine, Va. Tech, and every other school shooting since Columbine.

God Damned kids think they can say, or do anything, and get off, simply because they’re kids. Well, the rules have changed, dumbasses. And you only have yourselves to blame.
Wisen the fuck up, and calm your asses down.

Are there really that many people around that consider putting a bullet in someone an appropriate response to a spoonful of beans to the face?

Somewhere along the way, we’ve lost all sense of proportions.

I don’t know if people lack outlets, or have somehow forgotten how to deal with anger, but it seems that whenever someone pisses off someone else , the recipient feels justified in taking revenge for all that’s ever gone wrong in his life.

Bringing a gun to the party won’t change anyone’s mind that he is a skirt wearing sissy.

Why is it when a story is prefaced with “beyond ridiculous” that the ensuing story is plainly ridiculous. I’m interested OP, what made this story “beyond ridiculous” to you?

FYI, the job of the DA is not to “sue” people. It is to prosecute criminal acts. The fact that he is unrelated to either party is irrelevant, though surprising in a town of 250 [edit: 1600] people.

[quote]Rykker wrote:
Blaze_108 wrote:
Next day, Ryan tells a couple people, including the Superintendent’s daughter, that he’s gonna bring a gun to school.

No one can mouth off like that in this day and age and get away with it. It’s taken downright, no-joke, fuckin’ seriously, no questions asked, by Authority when a kid threatens gun violence in a school setting, in the wake of Columbine, Va. Tech, and every other school shooting since Columbine.

God Damned kids think they can say, or do anything, and get off, simply because they’re kids. Well, the rules have changed, dumbasses. And you only have yourselves to blame.
[/quote]

Except that the person who was charged was the bean-thrower, not the gun-bragger. So maybe you think the gun-bragger should be in trouble but it’s the other kid who is getting in for his assault with fiber…

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
Rykker wrote:
Blaze_108 wrote:

Except that the person who was charged was the bean-thrower, not the gun-bragger. So maybe you think the gun-bragger should be in trouble but it’s the other kid who is getting in for his assault with fiber…
[/quote]

Oops. Hehe. Yeah, I kinda missed that part. I’m a fucktard.
It’s the pain meds. I’m in a fooooog, man.

Still, beans are a biological weapon, ain’t they?
Yeah, okay then… I’ll shut up now…

[quote]Rykker wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
Rykker wrote:
Blaze_108 wrote:

Oops. Hehe. Yeah, I kinda missed that part. I’m a fucktard.
It’s the pain meds. I’m in a fooooog, man.

Still, beans are a biological weapon, ain’t they?
Yeah, okay then… I’ll shut up now…[/quote]

Well, eventually they become dangerous…I believe the street name is a Dirty Methane Bomb…

Maybe the DA just has nothing to better to do. You said it’s a town of 1,600…

It’s not odd at all. Here’s an explanation of “battery” in plain English from a web site, “A battery is the willful or intentional touching of a person against that person�??s will by another person, or by an object or substance put in motion by that other person. Please note that an offensive touching can constitute a battery even if it does not cause injury, and could not reasonably be expected to cause injury. A defendant who emphatically pokes the plaintiff in the chest with his index finger to emphasize a point may be culpable for battery (although the damages award that results may well be nominal). A defendant who spits on a plaintiff, even though there is little chance that the spitting will cause any injury other than to the plaintiff’s dignity, has committed a battery.”

I’d imagine your friend is being prosecuted because the kid he picked on has been deemed at-risk by your school, a status pretty much confirmed by the fact that he discussed bringing a gun to school. Tell you friend that if he doesn’t like being in front of the judge he should stop being such a douchebag.

Thats why fighting should be encouraged. They would fight, one would win and one would lose and that is it. It also helps kids understand that actions have consequences and you cant just go shooting your mouth off to anyone you want without something happening. Holy shit they just killed the robot on Alien!! What the fuck, is it made of splooge?

Fighting is not the answer. Not acting like dickbags, thats the answer. These 2 numbnuts didnt get along. Well then leave each other the f- alone and go on with your life. The sooner kids stop expecting the world to kiss their a** and take personal responsibilty for their actions the better.

I think I’ve only pulled a gun once in my life time of gun carrying. Sadly it was just against a bear.

I have had my share of fights, for good reasons and for no reason at all. For some reason, the only people I see that pull guns first are the people that end up dead early in their lives. Yet, some people do not get a clue that pulling a gun first is about as dumb as it gets. I always thought the order of progression was 1) Argue 2) Fists 3) Hitting with inanimate objects 4) Knives 5) Guns.

The old school days are over, I blame it on over reaction and over protecting. When did fighting become bad? Last time I checked in order to settle something you had to fight, verbally or physically.

When I was little I was protected, but at least my parents prepared me. Taught me how to fight. Now kids do not know how to fight so they resort to guns I guess. Kind of like germs, everybody keeps their kids super clean and won’t let them play in the dirt, then these kids come down with sickness because they have no immune systems.

There is a crime of Battery for a reason.

Don’t hit others with beans.

The threat of taking a gun would be assult and the other guy should be charged with this by the police too. (I haven’t started taking criminal law classes yet so I’m not sure about this being assult).

They both need to be put before a judge and be told, by a judge, not to act like fuckwits and have some community service given to 'em.

I think both of them are falling victim to the newest inability for adults to parent their kids. Fucking beat the crap out of your kids when they act like shitheads! It doesn’t help at all to sue the crap out of a kid, 'cause it’s the parents that ultimately have to carry that burden. It’s not like several thousand dollars are going to be taken straight out of the son’s ass, 'cause his fucking punk ass will call the cops as soon as his father goes at him with a belt. But, I’m just ranting. Maybe we all should drive around with high-pressure paintball guns and spray the little punks trying to be gangsters… shit, I meant “gangsta”

emdawgz1, I want to marry the woman in your avatar…

Err, right. Bean-throwing. Damn these kids this day in age.