T Nation

Friendly Competition

I started out on these forums making what I thought at the time was a mistake by posting in the “rate your physique”… After getting ripped by most of the responses I’ve since decided to heed their “advice” and put on some serious weight. I’ve already gone from 205 to 210 in the past two weeks, but have no intention of stopping anytime soon.

So, here’s the challenge…
I want to find someone or maybe even a few other experienced lifters with a goal of gaining close to 20+ lbs of FFM. The time table will be be 6 months. My personal goal is to go from 210 at 12% BF to 230 at 8% by September. The whole purpose for this is to hold myself accountable and to not forget what started all of this. If you’re up for the challege, let’s get started!

Started lifting in Nov of 07. Weighed 180 (5’9). Had a 20% Body Fat. As of 2 weeks ago (will weigh/measure this saturday) I weighed 191 and 15.7% body fat.

So as of Nov I had 144 lbs Lean Muscle Mass and 36lbs of Fat.

As of Feb 23rd 161 lbs of lean muscle mass and 30lbs of fat.

Just finished Month 4, and we’ll see how it finished by May.

[quote]arosett wrote:
I started out on these forums making what I thought at the time was a mistake by posting in the “rate your physique”… After getting ripped by most of the responses I’ve since decided to heed their “advice” and put on some serious weight. I’ve already gone from 205 to 210 in the past two weeks, but have no intention of stopping anytime soon.

I want to find someone or maybe even a few other experienced lifters with a goal of gaining close to 20+ lbs of FFM. The time table will be be 6 months. My personal goal is to go from 210 at 12% BF to 230 at 8% by September. The whole purpose for this is to hold myself accountable and to not forget what started all of this. If you’re up for the challege, let’s get started![/quote]

Watch American Pie lately or what? Seriously, I think that everyone on this site is in pursuit of adding 20 pounds of FFM in 6 months.
Good luck on your endeavor

[quote]Jay-B wrote:
arosett wrote:

I want to find someone or maybe even a few other experienced lifters with a goal of gaining close to 20+ lbs of FFM. The time table will be be 6 months. My personal goal is to go from 210 at 12% BF to 230 at 8% by September. The whole purpose for this is to hold myself accountable and to not forget what started all of this. If you’re up for the challege, let’s get started!

Watch American Pie lately or what? Seriously, I think that everyone on this site is in pursuit of adding 20 pounds of FFM in 6 months.
Good luck on your endeavor[/quote]

Thanks! No American Pie for me though… It’s like I said, I was ripped by a bunch of people for being too small, so I figured I’d go back to the glory days of when I was in undergrad and get my bodyweight back up to 230ish.

Im one skinny b@5t3rd to be honest! Since christmas have put on 15 and kept my body fat% the same from just doing compound lifts about three times a week and cleaning up my diet.
Weight: 145 pounds
Height: 5,11 ft
Body Fat: 8.7%

I am seriously up for the challenge of getting a more solid routine and a proper diet. So we going to have a official start date? and you think we should post pics or measurements every month to keep motivated?

[quote]UKallday wrote:
Im one skinny b@5t3rd to be honest! Since christmas have put on 15 and kept my body fat% the same from just doing compound lifts about three times a week and cleaning up my diet.
Weight: 145 pounds
Height: 5,11 ft
Body Fat: 8.7%

I am seriously up for the challenge of getting a more solid routine and a proper diet. So we going to have a official start date? and you think we should post pics or measurements every month to keep motivated?
[/quote]

I’m actually going to start my new workout routine and diet tomorrow (3/7), however, you can start as soon as you’re ready. I’ll go ahead and post pics. Measurements will come asap, just need to get some assistance on them. I like the idea of monthly picture updates, but I may even try to do something similar to what the Physique Clinic participants are doing, posting weekly pics. Feel free to post as much info as you’d like. I hope this thread will give others some great motivation. Good luck!

[quote]Oldfart wrote:
Started lifting in Nov of 07. Weighed 180 (5’9). Had a 20% Body Fat. As of 2 weeks ago (will weigh/measure this saturday) I weighed 191 and 15.7% body fat.

So as of Nov I had 144 lbs Lean Muscle Mass and 36lbs of Fat.

As of Feb 23rd 161 lbs of lean muscle mass and 30lbs of fat.

Just finished Month 4, and we’ll see how it finished by May.[/quote]

Why stop in May? Join in and keep the progress going!

Starting weight 207.5lbs, 12% BF

Back relaxed

My plan of attack is to follow the programs outlined in Chad Waterbury’s Muscle Revolution for increasing muscle mass. On top of those workouts I will be doing “Perfect 10” for my arms and his “Calf Blitzkrieg” workout as well.
From a nutrition standpoint I will be consuming around 3700 cals on days I train and between 2000-3000 cals on my off days. I will follow a carb cycling plan that I’ve designed for myself which should allow for maximal muscle gain accompanied by minimal fat.

Just got a huge shipment of supplements in on Friday… Let the fun begin!

Today I attended my Personal Training Conference (NSCA) and when I sat in on a nutrition for fat loss discussion it got me thinking about my diet. Basically what was said reminded me of the TNT Diet by Jeff Volek, the low carb approach is by and far superior for fat loss because of the body’s ability to control insulin.

That said, I’ve decided to do more of a TNT diet for weight gain. So, I’ll be eating every protein and fat in sight while timing my carb intake around my workouts. It is my belief that by taking this approach I will be able to stay very lean while on my quest to build muscle mass.

Wowers… should I ask what a score like the picture above costs?

[quote]Oldfart wrote:
Wowers… should I ask what a score like the picture above costs?[/quote]

I bought most of it when T-Nation had that sale last week… That said, just about $1000! It should last me about 4 months or so. We’ll see.

So, I’m at the start of week 3 now and am up to 213lbs with a slight increase in body fat. I’m really enjoying Chad Waterbury’s ABBH program and have received several compliments on my new size. My daily caloric intake is around 3500 with protein holding steady at aprox 400g/day.

On days that I lift weights my carb intake is around 160g and on days off it’s down just under 70g. Fat intake is between 150-170g/day. I hope to crack the 215 mark by the end of the ABBH program and with the way things are going so far that shouldn’t be too difficult to hit.

If it weren’t for misplacing my damn camera I would’ve posted progress pics by now… Just finished with ABBH and am really loving the growth. This past week I started noticing too much fat accumulation and thus decided to do a one week cut. Believe it or not, before I started cutting I got my bodyweight up to 216-218 lbs.

I’ve started low carbing it, essentially following the guidelines in CT’s Shredded in 6 Days. After the one week cut I’ll be back on the weight gain cycle. I kind of have that feeling that I’ll be following a plan like this for a while, by doing 3/1 ratio of weight gain/weight loss cycling to minimize the fat gain while at the same time, preventing any plateauing of progress.

When you find your camera, pics.

Some pics from last Saturday…

More…

Front shot…