Friendly Bet and a 6-Pack

[quote]olliedog wrote:
This is good advice from Phill.
All the exercises in the world won’t win your bet whilst there is blubber over your abs.
Get serious with your nutrition. Cut out all the crap, eat clean only, get the mindset of a competitive bodybuilder & get disciplined to win your wager. Commit to giving us your progress on a weekly basis as there is nothing like putting your head above the parapet. You will need to get your bodyfat to 8% or less, and you can do it!
[/quote]

Yeah I def agree with you, but im not quite sure what you mean by eating clean? I thought I have been eating ok. Is there something that you guys picked up on that Im doing wrong?
I drew up an excel sheet that tracks my daily food intake and estimated daily calories. I will post after a week of using it so you guys can put me on the chopping block.
Regards…

[quote]BSD wrote:
olliedog wrote:
This is good advice from Phill.
All the exercises in the world won’t win your bet whilst there is blubber over your abs.
Get serious with your nutrition. Cut out all the crap, eat clean only, get the mindset of a competitive bodybuilder & get disciplined to win your wager. Commit to giving us your progress on a weekly basis as there is nothing like putting your head above the parapet. You will need to get your bodyfat to 8% or less, and you can do it!

Yeah I def agree with you, but im not quite sure what you mean by eating clean? I thought I have been eating ok. Is there something that you guys picked up on that Im doing wrong?
I drew up an excel sheet that tracks my daily food intake and estimated daily calories. I will post after a week of using it so you guys can put me on the chopping block.
Regards…

[/quote]

not sure how were supposed to know if your doing something wrong diet wise?? list what a typical day week consist of Theres a big diff between eating clean and healthy to eating to be stage ready uber lean. BBers are essentially at there worst health wise when they are on stage.

Phill

[quote]BSD wrote:
Regards… [/quote]

Read the following to get acquainted with the basics:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493

Also, dig around. Berardi has some excellent other more in-depth articles

And next time, don’t let yourself dragged into such bets. Unless, of course, it’s about who can deadlift more at the end of 10 weeks. THAT is T-Nation worthy!

[quote]BSD wrote:
Regards…
[/quote]

Seriously, that’s a good idea. Getting a six-pack has more to do with your nutrition than your training. It took me too long to learn that as a beginner.

It’s good to have somebody else see what you’re eating, maybe they can see a few things that aren’t helping you. It would also help to keep track of how many calories you’re eating per meal and over the day (for those of us too lazy to add).

Honestly I stopped eating a few foods regularly just because my better developed friends looked at them and told me, 'You know, they’re not healthy."

I like your attitude. A refreshing change from all the defensive newbies that post here. Thanks.

[quote]lixy wrote:

Read the following to get acquainted with the basics:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493

Also, dig around. Berardi has some excellent other more in-depth articles

And next time, don’t let yourself dragged into such bets. Unless, of course, it’s about who can deadlift more at the end of 10 weeks. THAT is T-Nation worthy![/quote]

Hey man, I appreciate that link, it really spells things out, short and sweet. I dont have the best of connectivity issues so I cant browse this site without getting pissed off at a page that takes 10 minutes to load. Good stuff man, appreciate it.
As far as me getting myself into bets, Im far too hardheaded to be outdone, so im at the acceptance stage, bear with me.

Questions,
I never make the meals that I eat so I dont always see the nutrition information. I found a site (Calorieking.com) that helps with counting those calories. Are there any better sites to use as a nutritional guide to foods?

Im looking for an easy fix for a “clean” food that I can take thats starchy. I need to be able to order it online. Suggestions?

Regards…

are supplements out? If not maybe you could spare some cash for HOT-ROX or something. Yeah, it’s hard when you don’t prepare your own meals. Do what you can on your own though.

Also, you don’t need a machine to do rows. I assume you have a bar and some weights that can go on the bar. You can do bent over rows. Also, if you’ve got dumbells, you can support yourself with an arm on a bench and do dumbell rows.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
are supplements out? If not maybe you could spare some cash for HOT-ROX or something. Yeah, it’s hard when you don’t prepare your own meals. Do what you can on your own though.

Also, you don’t need a machine to do rows. I assume you have a bar and some weights that can go on the bar. You can do bent over rows. Also, if you’ve got dumbells, you can support yourself with an arm on a bench and do dumbell rows.[/quote]

Awesome, thanks for the tips concerning rows, ill definately be glad to incorporate that into my workout.

I could shell out some money for HOT-ROX but im just kinda thrown off about them after seeing a couple people I know abuse stuff like that. Plus all that info I catch on TV about how bad stuff like that can be. Im uneducated really…Maybe you guys can shed some light on how effective/safe/unsafe these are…

Regards…

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
I would go to http://www.T-Nation.com and read some of the articles there. I hear there is real good info. [/quote]

LOL

what am I reading??? What branch are you in? I was former military, and the food was fairly clean if you knew what you were doing. As far as supps, exercises, etc., pullups and the limited amounts of other things you are doing are simple. As far as your buddy, if he’s that high BF, he is in a world of shit, enuff said…

I would think you should become friends with one of the cooks in the mess hall. Prepared food can vary greatly in its calories and nutrient profile depending on how it is cooked and processed. You need some inside info on what’s going on back in the kitchen so you can figure out the best food options.

A lot of food contains added sugar, processed carbs, hydrogenated oils, stabilizers, emulsifiers, added fats, preservatives, and a host of other chemicals. You want to avoid these things.

A small change in the way something in cooks can make a big difference. A big plate of steamed veggies can provide a load of vitamins, nutrients, fiber, and be low in calorie. If some sort of added fat (like butter) has been added they now are packed with calories. If your mess hall has a nice salad bar, load up on raw veggies.

For protein sources think lean meats that are grilled as opposed to fried. Baking can also be a decent option IF fat has not been added. Definitely avoid baked goods and desserts.

[quote]BSD wrote:
Im looking for an easy fix for a “clean” food that I can take thats starchy. I need to be able to order it online. Suggestions?
[/quote]

Oatmeal (old-fashioned not instant, no sugar added)
Beans
Sweet potatoes
Brown rice
Whole wheat bread (no corn syrup)

[quote]BigDaddyT wrote:
I would think you should become friends with one of the cooks in the mess hall. Prepared food can vary greatly in its calories and nutrient profile depending on how it is cooked and processed. You need some inside info on what’s going on back in the kitchen so you can figure out the best food options.

A lot of food contains added sugar, processed carbs, hydrogenated oils, stabilizers, emulsifiers, added fats, preservatives, and a host of other chemicals. You want to avoid these things.

A small change in the way something in cooks can make a big difference. A big plate of steamed veggies can provide a load of vitamins, nutrients, fiber, and be low in calorie. If some sort of added fat (like butter) has been added they now are packed with calories. If your mess hall has a nice salad bar, load up on raw veggies.

For protein sources think lean meats that are grilled as opposed to fried. Baking can also be a decent option IF fat has not been added. Definitely avoid baked goods and desserts.[/quote]

Sounds good,

Ive decided that attempting to get a six pack right now would be slightly ludicris. I need to gain weight and cut down later. So im just going to focus on hitting the gym hard and eating right. I dont think it would be too healthy for me the other way around.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/f/8/f8aea-KuwaitM__.jpg

[quote]micromuscle wrote:
what am I reading??? What branch are you in? I was former military, and the food was fairly clean if you knew what you were doing.[/quote]

Im in the Navy attached to a Marine expeditionary unit stationed in the middle east. I added a pic of me on the range.

Dude, this is such a gay bet. 2 guys(edit - lightweights) comparing abs. Why don’t you both enter in a beauty contest?

Shouldn’t you be having a chin up comp or something?

[quote]Andrew Dixon wrote:
Dude, this is such a gay bet. 2 guys(edit - lightweights) comparing abs. Why don’t you both enter in a beauty contest?

[/quote]

This is where I get offended and say that I can kick your ass because youre talkin trash and then starts the pointless “internet octagon”?

Thats not a bad idea man, We should have a chin up contest! Us lightweights would look great for the beauty contest with superior lats and biceps… Thanks for the idea bro!

I have a few tips.

1. Do squats, rows, bench, overhead, deadlift and chin ups. Forget isolations, they’re a waste of time for your goal.

2. Get in 200 grams a day of whey protein. Mix it with water.

3. Eat nothing besides lean chicken breasts, tuna, rice, fruits or veggies.

4. No soda, no candy, no chips. Those are foods for fatasses.

5. Get yourself some HOT-ROX and some Creatine Monohydrate.

6. Do a few sprints every day. Like when you’re on the sidewalk or whatever, just sprint, like you’re trying to run fast enough to take off and fly.

7. Eat pretty small portions.

8. Get up early and go to bed at a decent time.

9. Eat 8 or so small meals a day. A shake IS a meal.

[quote]Hadow Khan wrote:
I have a few tips.

1. Do squats, rows, bench, overhead, deadlift and chin ups. Forget isolations, they’re a waste of time for your goal.

6. Do a few sprints every day. Like when you’re on the sidewalk or whatever, just sprint, like you’re trying to run fast enough to take off and fly.

9. Eat 8 or so small meals a day. A shake IS a meal.[/quote]

Outstanding… I do most of those already…
questions:

What do the hardore sprints do for my body?
Why dont I do isolation exercises?
What is safe/unsafe about HOT-ROX?
What is an optimum brand of creatine Monohydrate?

regards

[quote]BSD wrote:
Andrew Dixon wrote:

This is where I get offended and say that I can kick your ass because youre talkin trash and then starts the pointless “internet octagon”?

Thats not a bad idea man, We should have a chin up contest! Us lightweights would look great for the beauty contest with superior lats and biceps… Thanks for the idea bro![/quote]

Its funny I said that because your actually heavier than me.

[quote]Andrew Dixon wrote:
BSD wrote:
Andrew Dixon wrote:

Thats not a bad idea man, We should have a chin up contest! Us lightweights would look great for the beauty contest with superior lats and biceps… Thanks for the idea bro!

Its funny I said that because your actually heavier than me.
[/quote]

So you were joking then? I took it seriously… Sarcasm/facetiousness get lost pretty easy when you’re just typing, esp since there are so many that would say that kind of thing seriously on here.

[quote]BSD wrote:
Hadow Khan wrote:
I have a few tips.

9. Eat 8 or so small meals a day. A shake IS a meal.

Outstanding… I do most of those already…
questions:

What do the hardore sprints do for my body?
Why dont I do isolation exercises?
What is safe/unsafe about HOT-ROX?
What is an optimum brand of creatine Monohydrate?

regards[/quote]

You can correct me if I’m wrong khan, but …
Ths sprints are a workout that will actually raise your metabolism for a good bit of the day, and (i think) raise GH levels too.

Compound movements give you more bang for your buck ie involve more muscle groups, so they’ll burn more calories and raise T and GH levels more than isolation. Compound movements are good no matter what your goal IMO.

Have very little knowledge about HOT-ROX

creatine Monohydrate is more proven and studied than EthylEster, but i think the drawbacks of monohydrate give the advantage to EE.