T Nation

Friendly Bet and a 6-Pack

So my buddy bets me that in 10 weeks, hes gonna have a six pack that blows mine out of the water. Keep in mind that neither of us have one and we dont have a wide variety of foods to choose from (military).

I know im between 12-14% body fat( 6’2 201 lbs) . I think hes near 16-18%.
So, Ive never tried this six pack thing before, and I need some pointers as to what I should do.

Is it possible to cut 3+ percent in 10 weeks? I hear the magic number is around 10% . Ive got whey protein and mess hall to choose from. Can you guys point me in the right direction?
regards…

I would go to http://www.T-Nation.com and read some of the articles there. I hear there is real good info.

IMO youll need to be way the hell under 10% to have a killer 6 pack. if this is really a goal go get that shit above all you need to shed BF but man your height and weight youll be a rail at say 5-6%

Id look at something extreme like the V-diet or the like coupled with smart training do what you can to preserve the limited LBM you have and lose fat.

Ten is there a specific day for an end pics etc. be wise to pan for it lose as much fat as you can then water deplete like one would for a contest. water/sodium manipulation, diuretics natural ones preferably.

Might check out 7 das to ultimate leanness for the last week or so

remember as well going for this uber six pack likely will mean you are not performing on all 8 cylinders dont get your ass shot off

Phill

Yeah? I hear thats a great site too! Ill keep it in mind… Thanks bro.

[quote]Phill wrote:
IMO youll need to be way the hell under 10% to have a killer 6 pack. if this is really a goal go get that shit above all you need to shed BF but man your height and weight youll be a rail at say 5-6%

Id look at something extreme like the V-diet or the like coupled with smart training do what you can to preserve the limited LBM you have and lose fat.

Ten is there a specific day for an end pics etc. be wise to pan for it lose as much fat as you can then water deplete like one would for a contest. water/sodium manipulation, diuretics natural ones preferably.

remember as well going for this uber six pack likely will mean you are not performing on all 8 cylinders dont get your ass shot off

Phill[/quote]

Alright,thanks for the tips… So realistically speaking, can I achieve this goal in 10 weeks and not beat myself into the ground? really, i would be completely happy with at least something to show at the end (not death at 6%)…

Im not trying to come off like im not motivated, but I still need to be able to fetch a stick when told to do so…
regards…

[quote]BSD wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

Alright,thanks for the tips… So realistically speaking, can I achieve this goal in 10 weeks and not beat myself into the ground? really, i would be completely happy with at least something to show at the end (not death at 6%)…

Im not trying to come off like im not motivated, but I still need to be able to fetch a stick when told to do so…
regards…

[/quote]

You are 6’2", weigh 200lbs and plan on losing over 20lbs? Do you even lift weights now?

You do realize this is a bodybuilding forum?

Do you have access to a gym. How often can you eat. Access to any supplements… How often can you workout, what’s your free time look like.

I have access to Optimums 100% whey protein, I do lift on a daily basis. I take right at 200g of protein daily. I spread my meals out at about 400 to 500 calories 5 to 6 times daily. Ive got plenty of BSN products ( noX, nitrix, cell mass). I take omega III’s in the form of fish oil. Ive been doing this religiously for about 10 weeks. I have access to a good gym.
Regards

[quote]BSD wrote:
Ive been doing this religiously for about 10 weeks. [/quote]

–JB

[quote]BSD wrote:
I have access to Optimums 100% whey protein, I do lift on a daily basis. I take right at 200g of protein daily. I spread my meals out at about 400 to 500 calories 5 to 6 times daily. Ive got plenty of BSN products ( noX, nitrix, cell mass). I take omega III’s in the form of fish oil. Ive been doing this religiously for about 10 weeks. I have access to a good gym.
Regards[/quote]

Sounds like you’ve got most of the basics down. 5-6 meals a day is good. Fish oil is awesome. 200g protein is enough, but it may be wise to up your intake even more while cutting–protein is great at killing hunger, even better than fat. Preferrably increase it from actual whole food, b/c I don’t know if the protein powder is very good at killing hunger, but whatever you can do.

My advice to you is to drop the NO-xplode and the Nitrix after you finish the container. They’re worthless. The cell mass is basically a creatine ester/glutamine supp. Maybe it’s worth using, I don’t know. I haven’t used any glutamine supps personally, although creatine (regular old monohydrate) is a staple of mine.

Now, have you only been working out with weights for about 10 weeks, or is that just your current supplement stack? How long have you been consistently training with weights, and what does your routine look like?

To the people posting in response–The way I figure it is, a bet is a bet, and he needs to win it. Even if he wouldn’t normally cut at his weight.

To the OP–Personally, I don’t care what you do right now, as I take it that your long term goal is to gain muscle mass right? So go win your bet.

Prof X and others–The man made a bet. It’s not like he’s a 140 lb guy that just wants to see his abs. I don’t get that vibe from him. I know in light of the past weeks and months it is hard to keep patience with all these “fight clubbers” around and the changes in the site and all.

I agree with you guys 100% on that, and I want to kill them all myself as well. But really, cut him some slack. He’s about 50lbs heavier than all the other cutters anyway. It’s just a short term bet, and I think we should help him win it. It’s not a long term life goal.

.02 $

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Prof X and others–The man made a bet. It’s not like he’s a 140 lb guy that just wants to see his abs. I don’t get that vibe from him. I know in light of the past weeks and months it is hard to keep patience with all these “fight clubbers” around and the changes in the site and all.

I agree with you guys 100% on that, and I want to kill them all myself as well. But really, cut him some slack. He’s about 50lbs heavier than all the other cutters anyway. It’s just a short term bet, and I think we should help him win it. It’s not a long term life goal.

.02 $[/quote]

Yeah, I dont mean to come in here and act like every other newbie on all informative websites, its just that i want a tailored product so i dont spend damn near 10 weeks doing the wrong thing.
With that said,
Ive been working out with weights for about 2 years… Started out with machines for a good while then switched over to compound lifts.The difference between then and now is the fact that im taking the proper amount of protein currently. Im definately in the business of staying the course and getting big eventually. I just want to know how I can go about keeping my LBM and getting that 6. My friend is a jonny-bad-ass and I want him and everyone else to realize hes readily defeatable.

Workout wise.
Typically i do blitz technique with my workouts.
Lat/Bicep on pullup bar- start at 8 pullups and rest pause for about 30-45 seconds.
afterwards I go to faulure for about 5 more sets then do 5 negative reps ( Hang for about 5-10 seconds letting myself down slowly with a full extension at the conclusion.)

After back, I head to triceps.
pull downs Starting at 75% of max to failure. Then stripping weight by 5 lb increments and adding reps. Ill use free weights every other week for triceps.

Forearms afterwards… Olympic bar behind the back forearm curls. I double up with the stick attached to rope attached to 15-20 lbs of weight (hard to explain but you hold the rope straight out and wind the weight up the stick with the rope and weight attached to end.) Then I conclude with 15-20 mins of cardio.

Second upper body day consists of chest, biceps, and shoulders…
For chest, every other week on the bench(as opposed to dumbells, i start out at 105% of max with partner for about 2-3 reps. Then go down to 75%, afterwards i go to failure stripping weight and adding reps.

Biceps include preacher curls and concentration curls on alternating days. Again, to failure with added negative reps.

I do crunches on pullup bar on chest days with medicine ball inbetween my thighs. Jump up to bar and hang while doing 4 sets of 15. Increasing reps weekly. Also Do flutter kicks, superman holds, full extension situps on decline bench with 1 plate. * count body builders, yada yada.

Lower body has taken a break because i strained my back while doing squats about 2 weeks ago. I run very frequently so im hoping that will hold me over till my back is good.
questions, comments?

regards…

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

.02 $[/quote]

Yeah, I dont mean to come in here and act like every other newbie on all informative websites, its just that i want a tailored product so i dont spend damn near 10 weeks doing the wrong thing.
With that said,
Ive been working out with weights for about 2 years… Started out with machines for a good while then switched over to compound lifts.The difference between then and now is the fact that im taking the proper amount of protein currently. Im definately in the business of staying the course and getting big eventually. I just want to know how I can go about keeping my LBM and getting that 6. My friend is a jonny-bad-ass and I want him and everyone else to realize hes readily defeatable.

Workout wise.
Typically i do blitz technique with my workouts.
Lat/Bicep on pullup bar- start at 8 pullups and rest pause for about 30-45 seconds.
afterwards I go to faulure for about 5 more sets then do 5 negative reps ( Hang for about 5-10 seconds letting myself down slowly with a full extension at the conclusion.)

After back, I head to triceps.
pull downs Starting at 75% of max to failure. Then stripping weight by 5 lb increments and adding reps. Ill use free weights every other week for triceps.

Forearms afterwards… Olympic bar behind the back forearm curls. I double up with the stick attached to rope attached to 15-20 lbs of weight (hard to explain but you hold the rope straight out and wind the weight up the stick with the rope and weight attached to end.) Then I conclude with 15-20 mins of cardio.

Second upper body day consists of chest, biceps, and shoulders…
For chest, every other week on the bench(as opposed to dumbells, i start out at 105% of max with partner for about 2-3 reps. Then go down to 75%, afterwards i go to failure stripping weight and adding reps.

Biceps include preacher curls and concentration curls on alternating days. Again, to failure with added negative reps.

I do crunches on pullup bar on chest days with medicine ball inbetween my thighs. Jump up to bar and hang while doing 4 sets of 15. Increasing reps weekly. Also Do flutter kicks, superman holds, full extension situps on decline bench with 1 plate. * count body builders, yada yada.

Lower body has taken a break because i strained my back while doing squats about 2 weeks ago. I run very frequently so im hoping that will hold me over till my back is good.
questions, comments?

regards…

Do you live under a bridge? Does your protein intake consist of children and…children?

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
Do you live under a bridge? Does your protein intake consist of children and…children?[/quote]

Do you have any children? yum…

Here’s a thought–you might want to add some rows. You got lots of chins, which is great, but I don’t see any dumbell, barbell, or cable rows. You should throw those in.

Sneak over to the Doc and get some Lipo. Your buddy will never know!!

[quote]rgb321 wrote:
Sneak over to the Doc and get some Lipo. Your buddy will never know!![/quote]

I dont like that type of pain…

I dont have a “row” machine to use out here…I wish I did…

This is good advice from Phill.
All the exercises in the world won’t win your bet whilst there is blubber over your abs.
Get serious with your nutrition. Cut out all the crap, eat clean only, get the mindset of a competitive bodybuilder & get disciplined to win your wager. Commit to giving us your progress on a weekly basis as there is nothing like putting your head above the parapet. You will need to get your bodyfat to 8% or less, and you can do it!

[quote]Phill wrote:

Phill[/quote]

Here ya go.

DB