T Nation

Friend Bitching Me Out After Workout

saying that i made him do a workout the wrong way and that i could have blown out his back.

we were working out our backs today so i made him do deadlifts without moving his legs just basically bending over and then back up.

is this correct? anything wrong with this way?

depends on form - did you get him to stick his butt back?, his arm to leg length ratio (did he have to round his back to reach depth etc), is he a newb with low strength in body and mind?

It really depends on actual form, but from the way you describe it, it sounds brutal and terrible and makes my back hurt.

If you were doing it properly that would be more of a hamstring exercise than back thickness or width!

Sounds like your trying to get your mate to do straight leg deadlifts. Are you? or are you just getting him to do normal deadlifts but badly?
if your doing straight leg deadlifts i assume you are keeping the weight low because that could trash the back if he is a beginner.

If you have to ask this question you SHOULD NOT be advising other people how to lift weights.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
If you have to ask this question you SHOULD NOT be advising other people how to lift weights. [/quote]

Yep.

The fact that you didn’t even know the name of the exercise (any reason you didn’t just say, “We were doing stiff leg deadlifts or Romanian deadlifts”?) is a neon sign that you shouldn’t be giving advice to anyone anytime soon.

If he has any history of lower back issues and is worried about “blowing his back out”, that is not an exercise I’d have him start learning. If you don’t understand how to coach an exercise - emphasize straight or arched back, tell him what to do with his knees, where to position his head, etc. - you shoudlwait until you understand it better yourself.

Some exercises are fine to “teach” your buddies while you’re still learning. Deadlift variations aren’t one of them.

Just for fun: How old is the guy, what’s he weigh, how heavy was he lifting, and how many sets/reps?

[quote]kennyken wrote:
Sounds like your trying to get your mate to do straight leg deadlifts. Are you? or are you just getting him to do normal deadlifts but badly?
if your doing straight leg deadlifts i assume you are keeping the weight low because that could trash the back if he is a beginner.[/quote]

The legs should never be straight when doing deadlifts of any type.

Stiff-leg deadlifts, which work he hamstrings, are done with the knees slightly flexed, but stationary.

Is he someone who would know the difference between muscle soreness and herniated disc type pains? Most back pain novices and/or people new to using their muscles can’t distinguish the difference and could possibly be equating DOMS to a “blown back” (whatever that means).

deads are overall a poor choice for someone new to weight training.

[quote]Beast Status wrote:
deads are overall a poor choice for someone new to weight training.[/quote]

I disagree. But OP shouldn’t be teaching anyone how to do something he doesn’t know how to do himself.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Beast Status wrote:
deads are overall a poor choice for someone new to weight training.[/quote]

I disagree. But OP shouldn’t be teaching anyone how to do something he doesn’t know how to do himself.

[/quote]

True. I guess to rephrase my statement. There are better choices than deads for someone who has no experience or poor guidance. Building a sold base, bodyweight exercises, machines (excuse me for blaspheming), and some guidance from someone with some more experience would seem more suitable.

[quote]Beast Status wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Beast Status wrote:
deads are overall a poor choice for someone new to weight training.[/quote]

I disagree. But OP shouldn’t be teaching anyone how to do something he doesn’t know how to do himself.

[/quote]

True. I guess to rephrase my statement. There are better choices than deads for someone who has no experience or poor guidance. Building a sold base, bodyweight exercises, machines (excuse me for blaspheming), and some guidance from someone with some more experience would seem more suitable.
[/quote]

Yeah, I mean that is why I get fucking pissed when someone on here tries to act all hardcore telling someone brand new to lifting that they “are a pussy if you can’t pull 135” or “how does he load the bar if he can’t pull 135” or “what a bitch, I walked in and pulled 225 my first day.”

My point is Jesus, give someone a few weeks to learn the form and be confident he isn’t going to kill himself before he loads up and tries to nail a max lift.

Should a typical trainee get to 135 and 225 very quickly? Yes
Should anyone new to lifting go anywhere near a 1-3 rep max without confidence in his or her form? IMO no fucking way.

Sorry for the rant, I’m just tired of stupid people. (You are not one of those.)

well i must be retarded because i’ve always deadlifted on leg days.

i like the mental image of a “blown back”, though. he tries to raise the bar and his spine explodes outward like a cat’s head in the microwave.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Beast Status wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Beast Status wrote:
deads are overall a poor choice for someone new to weight training.[/quote]

I disagree. But OP shouldn’t be teaching anyone how to do something he doesn’t know how to do himself.

[/quote]

True. I guess to rephrase my statement. There are better choices than deads for someone who has no experience or poor guidance. Building a sold base, bodyweight exercises, machines (excuse me for blaspheming), and some guidance from someone with some more experience would seem more suitable.
[/quote]

Yeah, I mean that is why I get fucking pissed when someone on here tries to act all hardcore telling someone brand new to lifting that they “are a pussy if you can’t pull 135” or “how does he load the bar if he can’t pull 135” or “what a bitch, I walked in and pulled 225 my first day.”

My point is Jesus, give someone a few weeks to learn the form and be confident he isn’t going to kill himself before he loads up and tries to nail a max lift.

Should a typical trainee get to 135 and 225 very quickly? Yes
Should anyone new to lifting go anywhere near a 1-3 rep max without confidence in his or her form? IMO no fucking way.

Sorry for the rant, I’m just tired of stupid people. (You are not one of those.)[/quote]

concur! “Noah didnt build the ark overnight.” Been my moto ever since i walked into a gym for the first time 10 years ago and got stuck under 95lbs on the bench. Embarrising, but didnt get hurt more importantly. Ive always been one to tell new-bies to take it slow at first. Dudes that show up weighing 145 soaking wet, load the bar with 4 plates and start busting out FFUGGGLLY looking shrugs. Not only look like assholes but are in for a world of hurt some ways down the road.

[quote]loren646 wrote:
saying that i made him do a workout the wrong way and that i could have blown out his back.

we were working out our backs today so i made him do deadlifts without moving his legs just basically bending over and then back up.

is this correct? anything wrong with this way? [/quote]

Would you be bitching me out if I made you walk off a bridge?.. Speaking of which…

[quote]loren646 wrote:
saying that i made him do a workout the wrong way and that i could have blown out his back.

we were working out our backs today so i made him do deadlifts without moving his legs just basically bending over and then back up.

is this correct? anything wrong with this way? [/quote]

Why did he listen to you if he knows you made him do a workout the wrong way?

[quote]Beast Status wrote:
deads are overall a poor choice for someone new to weight training.[/quote]
I disagree.

[quote]OBoile wrote:

[quote]Beast Status wrote:
deads are overall a poor choice for someone new to weight training.[/quote]
I disagree.[/quote]

read the entire post. specificly what i added after i made this statement.

[quote]loren646 wrote:
saying that i made him do a workout the wrong way and that i could have blown out his back.

we were working out our backs today so i made him do deadlifts without moving his legs just basically bending over and then back up.

is this correct? anything wrong with this way? [/quote]

Wow , sounds like doing that is more of a Romanian style dead lift , when the back is completely flexed and not arched then what happens is the back muscles are getting stretched and utilised more efficiently than the hamstrings should fire , in that care , depending on the weight and person, it sounds like things arenâ??t firing like they should , so therefore , do a regular dead lift with your hips back , chest out , squeezed lats and arched lower back ( squat form ) and pull from the hills to minimise the amount of back pressure on your friend .