Fried Chicken - Good or Bad?

There is nothing wrong with most foods. A neurotic over eating or reliance on a certain food or group that will screw you.

Harmful?

I know chronic overconsumption of various things can lead to harm, but for any one particular meal I think it is a stretch to try to classify foods as harmful.

There is some mindset that certain types of food are actively bad. This mindset goes further and says you are unhealthy if you happen to eat such a food.

Compared to some of mainstream society, which lives off shit in a box and fast food, I think we can partake in a meal that isn’t as nutritiously appropriate and not suffer active consequences.

Am I making sense to anyone here?

[quote]vroom wrote:
Harmful?

I know chronic overconsumption of various things can lead to harm, but for any one particular meal I think it is a stretch to try to classify foods as harmful.

There is some mindset that certain types of food are actively bad. This mindset goes further and says you are unhealthy if you happen to eat such a food.

Compared to some of mainstream society, which lives off shit in a box and fast food, I think we can partake in a meal that isn’t as nutritiously appropriate and not suffer active consequences.

Am I making sense to anyone here?[/quote]

Yup. Thanks.

If you’re active,a little fried chicken here and there shouldn’t hurt you.
If you want,try coconut oil.
I usually eat a whole pizza or two pizzas that I make a day.
Yes,they’re made with whole wheat flour and have to trans fat,but it’s still a pizza(lots of cheeeeeeze).
I don’t see me dying anytime soon.
You do know that you only live once…right?

[quote]vroom wrote:
Harmful?

Am I making sense to anyone here?[/quote]

Yes, I agree. Years back when I first started lifting and learned the importance of eating enough protein due to a low budget chicken was a staple. It accounted for a large percentage of my whole food protein intake. Since I ate it so often I always baked it and took the skin off. I guess in regard to chicken I habituated to having it this way. I am in agreement that fried with the skin on rare occasions is fine.

D

[quote]Velz wrote:
I know his secret recipe, and I don’t want anything to do with it. Steroids and animal cruelty.[/quote]

Also, KFC uses trans fat for frying. Better to do your own thing at home with a quality oil (coconut, olive, palm, etc.) and quality breading (whole wheat flour works well!) Or, maybe find a restaurant that doesn’t use trans fat.

And one that doesn’t kill baby chickens, to boot. I stopped at a KFC while on vacation and had their buffet. Those were the smallest chicken parts I’d ever had. Couldn’t have been older than 6 months. The bones were brittle and flexible as hell, sometimes not fully formed. They live their entire lives in a tiny cage, on drugs and hormones. It’s fucked up.

Compare that to the pastured, Amish raised chickens I get at the food co-op, which are about twice the size. They are really well put together. The KFC birds seemed as if someone was trying to build a chicken from parts, and did a real shit job of it.

Anybody taking the skin off your chicken can send it to me. I eat it all.

–Tiribulus->

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Anybody taking the skin off your chicken can send it to me. I eat it all.

–Tiribulus->[/quote]

PM me your shipping info and expect shipments henceforth. :slight_smile:

D

If you just cook chicken in oil you’re not getting much if any of the fat anyway. You’ll see it in the pan when you’re done. If you lightly coat with whole wheat flour, it’ll absorb some of the oil and whatever sauce you want to use afterward. Then you have a nice P+F meal.

if its good enough for lee priest…

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
PM me your shipping info and expect shipments henceforth. :slight_smile:
D [/quote]

I doubt if it’d still be warm coming to Detroit all the way from Puerto Rico chief, but I’ll take it.

–Tiribulus->

quote]Kailash wrote:
Velz wrote:
I know his secret recipe, and I don’t want anything to do with it. Steroids and animal cruelty.

Also, KFC uses trans fat for frying. Better to do your own thing at home with a quality oil (coconut, olive, palm, etc.) and quality breading (whole wheat flour works well!) Or, maybe find a restaurant that doesn’t use trans fat.

And one that doesn’t kill baby chickens, to boot. I stopped at a KFC while on vacation and had their buffet. Those were the smallest chicken parts I’d ever had. Couldn’t have been older than 6 months. The bones were brittle and flexible as hell, sometimes not fully formed. They live their entire lives in a tiny cage, on drugs and hormones. It’s fucked up.

Compare that to the pastured, Amish raised chickens I get at the food co-op, which are about twice the size. They are really well put together. The KFC birds seemed as if someone was trying to build a chicken from parts, and did a real shit job of it.[/quote]

Having worked in the poultry industry for over five years while going through school, I’ll tell you that a 6 month old chicken is no baby, and actually very old in the poultry business. A full size roaster will spend at most 12 weeks at a grow-out farm, while the females will spend at most 8 weeks.

And the chickens you eat do not live in cages, but very large houses with plenty of room to move, and eat. All the PETA propaganda is way off base, and simply not true. Not that that’s stopped them before :slight_smile:

I haven’t seen any mention of Popeye’s in this thread, WTF? That’s the best national chain fried chicken, bar none. Give me a box of the spicy chicken with some red beans and rice and mashed potatoes w/ cajun gravy and I’m good to go.

Rick Ross-

“I feed ?em steroids to strengthen up all my chickens”

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
I haven’t seen any mention of Popeye’s in this thread, WTF? That’s the best national chain fried chicken, bar none. Give me a box of the spicy chicken with some red beans and rice and mashed potatoes w/ cajun gravy and I’m good to go.[/quote]
Apparently you’ve never had Bojangles! If I suddenly stopped caring about my health, I would move into a Bojangles.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
Apparently you’ve never had Bojangles! If I suddenly stopped caring about my health, I would move into a Bojangles.
[/quote]

I’ve had Bojangles. It’s not a national chain like Popeyes since it’s mostly in the South. Plus, I like Popeye’s a lot better.

Not to mention Popeyes has the best name, I mean cmon… POPEYE’s!

Boneless, skinless chicken breast.
Olive oil or olive oil cooking spray.
Cook thouroughly over low temp so you don’t get to the smoke point.

You now have healthy fried chicken.

Nowhere close to popeyes chicken and biscuits with a side of crayfish and etuffe’ though as far as taste goes.

I sure miss that stuff - it’s been 3 years.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
Panther1015 wrote:
I haven’t seen any mention of Popeye’s in this thread, WTF? That’s the best national chain fried chicken, bar none. Give me a box of the spicy chicken with some red beans and rice and mashed potatoes w/ cajun gravy and I’m good to go.
[/quote]

No, apparently you’ve never had Frenchy’s. Maybe that’s just a Texas thing. The french fries will kill you though. I think they’ve been known to stop a man’s heart from one bite.

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
wfifer wrote:

I’ve had Bojangles. It’s not a national chain like Popeyes since it’s mostly in the South. Plus, I like Popeye’s a lot better.

[/quote]
We had one in my town on Long Island, that’s the only reason I even know about it. It is only east coast though, apparently. I tell ya, it was the cheapest, most filling, best tasting chicken meal I’ve had. The seasoning they put on the fries was incredible, and the owner exhibited that wonderful southern hospitality–he’d come out to our table with free fries and stuff.