T Nation

Frequent Yoke Walks

Any advise regarding frequent yoke walking?

My hand is still out of commission, I gained most of my strength back but it is still painful to do any pressing and the doctors orders are to do a little as possible with the injured hand for the next month. He said he'd rather not have an MRI and surgery done if it will heal on its own and he thinks more rest will be the best method. The good news is that I can do moderate weight farmers walks without pain.

I still haven't came up with an official training protocol until this things heals, but I was thinking of doing a two day split, something like:

Day 1:
SB-Squat AMRAP in 60 seconds
Extras - still not sure

Day 2:
Yoke Walk
Extras - still not sure

I have no idea what type of load or volume to do with the Yoke to avoid over training. My max is around 500lbs or 2xBW for 40 feet. I was thinking sets of fixed distance with 350lbs or so...

Week 1
50% run, 60% run, 3 x 70% run
Week 2
60% run, 70% run, 2 x 80% run
Week 3
70% run, 80% run, 90% run
Week 4
3 x 50% run

Add 10lb and do again

It looks like you just made that up and took it from 5/3/1.

I can’t speak as to where he got that from, but those aren’t exactly 5/3/1 percentages. However, if you google 5/3/1 for strongman, you’ll find a program that includes yoke walks programmed based on 5/3/1 percentages that is reported to get results. The above percentages are, nonetheless, quite similar and probably would work, too.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
It looks like you just made that up and took it from 5/3/1.[/quote]

I took the 531 principles as I was doing 531 at the time. Jim does not write strongman programing because he doesn’t want to write about what he hasn’t done so I used the principles and put them to farmers and yoke.
I got my yoke up to 850 at a bodyweight of 195. It worked for me, that’s all I can say.

[quote]John Henry wrote:

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
It looks like you just made that up and took it from 5/3/1.[/quote]

I took the 531 principles as I was doing 531 at the time. Jim does not write strongman programing because he doesn’t want to write about what he hasn’t done so I used the principles and put them to farmers and yoke.
I got my yoke up to 850 at a bodyweight of 195. It worked for me, that’s all I can say.

[/quote]

After having my knee explode on me on 775lbs at 190bw, I gotta salute you on this. That’s outstanding. How far did you take it? I managed 27’ before the blowout.

Thanks, I made it 60’. My best farmers was 80’ with 350 each hand. I learned a valuable lesson, don’t get addicted to bigger numbers. I’m recovering from 3 shoulder surgeries (right, left, left re-tear during recovery). I don’t know if I’ll return to strongman. Makes me wonder if I just trained with 200 weight-class weight and didn’t push so hard if I would have avoided the blown shoulders.
Did you recover from your knee blow out? do you still compete?
775 is still awesome at 190, I think I have a youtube vid of when I hit 700 something.

I blew out the knee on the 10th. I’m getting an MRI on Thurs and will evaluate from there. I don’t see any issues returning from this though, but yeah, I’m with you and I plan to be doing more speed work and less heavy work for a bit.

Best of luck! I hope you recover and come back. I’ve been out since feb '14. Tho I hit my 350 farmers max the day before surgery. One last hurrah lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMSNLqWYieA

That’s smart! Speed is what really wins the yoke, just wish I was smarter sooner.

[quote]John Henry wrote:
Best of luck! I hope you recover and come back. I’ve been out since feb '14. Tho I hit my 350 farmers max the day before surgery. One last hurrah lol

That’s smart! Speed is what really wins the yoke, just wish I was smarter sooner.[/quote]

Thanks man, and hoping you bounce back as well. I at least take solace in having blown out the knee in a competition. I would’ve felt like a real chump if I did it in training, just trying to pad my ego. I did manage a 750lb walk for 30’ in training beforehand, which felt pretty badass, and a 800lb yoke pick-up and hold for 10 seconds, but now I realize that those are pretty silly to do, haha.