Frequency VS. Volume

When one has limited equipment (power rack, barbell, dip station, pull up bar) but, the goal is hypertrophy is it better to hit a muscle group frequently instead of with high volume?

I can get in a good back workout but, legs and chest…I end up doing a lot of sets for 1 exercise.

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

…I end up doing a lot of sets for 1 exercise.

[/quote]

Is that bad?

I find frequency is often times just a way to get in more volume while not under-recovering.

I believe frequency outweighs volume for the natural trainee. Anyway, one can get the same volume throughout a week with less volume per workout compared to all the volume in less frequent workouts for the week. It’s better to do 4 sets twice a week or 3 sets 3 times per week than 8 or 9 sets once per week. And you don’t need so many exercises to grow, especially if you are just building a base.

You have been a member since 2006. Haven’t you picked up on this topic already?

Aim for doing the same volume in one week with high frequency that a “high volume” routine would have, and increase from there. Your total weekly volume can get even higher than a high volume workout would even allow. For example I could 200 pullups a week with no problems splitting it up 4 days/week. However doing 200 pullups in one day, or 100 pullups on 2 days each would be out of the question for me

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

[/quote]

Is that bad?

I find frequency is often times just a way to get in more volume while not under-recovering. [/quote]

ya, that’s how I think of it too. Like instead of doing 20 sets for chest one day, you would do 15 sets twice in a week.

Frequency and volume are not dependent on each other. You can go high frequency/high volume, low frequency/high volume, low frequency/low volume, high frequency/low volume. Both are important in your training.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

[/quote]

Is that bad?

I find frequency is often times just a way to get in more volume while not under-recovering. [/quote]

This. Frequency and volume. Find the middle ground between both.
Also you could be more creative and do different movements. If you ever watch john meadows he is always doing something creative.

[quote]maverick88 wrote:
When one has limited equipment (power rack, barbell, dip station, pull up bar) but, the goal is hypertrophy is it better to hit a muscle group frequently instead of with high volume?

I can get in a good back workout but, legs and chest…I end up doing a lot of sets for 1 exercise.

Lack of exercise variety has nothing to do with volume & frequency.

Training every muscle group HARD 1x/week is an excellent starting point for everyone.

[/quote]