Frequency and Mixing High and Low Reps

Hi Guys,
First time posting on here so Hello.
I am 5’9’’ @ 180 lbs, 2750 cals a day. I have been training on and off for about 5 years. I have written a training programme that has spilt my training from once a week to 3 times in two weeks. I’ve mixed in high and low reps into the programme. On hypertrophy days I’m adding 2 reps each round then increasing the weight. On strengh days I add weight each round. It looks like this:

Mon - Chest, Shoulders, Tris 4x8-10 @ 75% 1RM
Tue - Back, Bis
Wed - HIIT, Abs
Thu - Legs
Fri - Off

Sat - Chest, Shoulders, Tris 5/4/3/2/1 @ 80/82/85/90/95-100% 1RM
Sun - Back, Bis
Mon - HIIT, Abs
Tue - Legs
Wed - Off

Thu - Chest, Shoulders, Tris 4x12-15 @ 60% 1RM
Fri - Back, Bis
Sat - Legs
Sun - Off

What do you guys think, if you need more info let me know.

Nick

What are your goals?

Bigger, Stronger, Leaner

The exercises are as follows:
8-10 Rep Range -
Chest:
Incline DB Flys, DB Press, Decline DB Press
Shoulders:
Delt 21s
Tris:
Pushdowns

Back:
BB Row, Pull Ups, Hypertensions
Bis:
EZ Curl

Legs:
Seated Leg Press, Leg Curls, Leg Extensions, Calf Raises

5/4/3/2/1 Rep Range -
Chest:
BB Press
Shoulders:
Military Press
Tris:
PBar Dips 5x5

Back:
Deadlift, Pendlay Row
Bis:
Neutral Grip Pull Up 5x5

Legs:
BB Squat
Romainian Deadlit 5x5

12-15 Rep Range -
Chest:
Multi Angle Cable Flys, DB Pullover, Decline Push Ups
Shoulders:
Arnold Press
Tris:
Overhead Cable Ex

Back:
Aipa Row, Lat Pulldowns
Bis:
DB Curls

Legs:
Seated Leg Press, Single Leg Curls, BB Lunges, Calf Raises

Hope that makes things clearer.

Why not just go with a conjugate training template?

Yeah maybe but what do you think about this one?

Hard to say, really. Almost everything works for a period of time and to a certain degree.

Let us know how it goes.

1 Like

These are not goals. What are your refined goals. ACTUAL goals

It’s a bit ‘fluffy’ for me personally. Especially the 12-15 rep days. They wouldn’t do much for me and probably would be better off cycling the 8-10 reps back in. The only reason I can think that you have them is to stave off the deload weeks…?

I also dislike Pendlay Rows when working up to heavy singles or doubles. It invites poor form, jerking the back and risking injury on an exercise that is trying to promote explosiveness over pure strength.

Also… No squats?

1 Like

I have no idea what the difference between a goal and a refined goal is. Can you give an example?

I put 12-15 in to use all the rep ranges.
I see your point with the pendlay rows.
Squats on the second leg day.

Instead of bigger, "I want to be “enter weight” by “enter time frame.”

Instead of stronger, "I want to “enter exercise” “enter said amount of weight” for “enter reps/sets/distance/etc.”

Instead of leaner, "I want to be “enter weight” and “enter body fat percentage” by “enter time frame.”

Seriously, the amount of people who come on this site with little to no idea what they actually want out of training baffle the fuck out of me.

Weekly Undulating Periodization is what the programming you are structuring is called. Search Mike Zourdos. He has quite a few articles and studies on DUP, WUP, works with FSU’s powerlifting team and is the best source on that type of Periodization. It’s also what the Cube Method is based on, just for reference if you wanted to get other ideas of how people run it. It’s alot like the way I structure my programming and recovery has never been an issue with WUP. You will get the most out of it by looking at your weeks/sessions as training energy systems and different spectrums on the force velocity curve. Speed, speed-strength, power, strength-speed, Maximal strength and periodize as such and you can make it work for a very long time.

Now that’s what I call an answer. Thank you, I’ll check them out.

I think you should baffle the fuck off or chill out fella, no need to be rude. We’re not all experts that’s why I came on this forum for advice. I don’t have any goals, I want to get leaner and bigger until I feel good when I look in the mirror. I’ll need to get stronger because that won’t get bigger without it.

Thats the issue here “fella.” You have no measurable goals, therefore no one can help you with your program you laid out. If you have measurable, attainable goals, people know what you want, and can help you attain them.

curious…are these movements what you are referring to when you mention 60% for 12-15 reps?

Just checked out his DUP plan, it’s exactly what I’m looking for and makes total sense in my mind. Appreciate the info.

1 Like

Just make sure it fits in with your goals oh wait

Fair enough wanting to use all the rep ranges, but rep ranges this high are (IMO) better used at the end of a normal workout on pump exercises.

Having an entire week every 3 weeks basically ‘off’ from tough training isn’t the best way to get bigger and stronger. This type of training doesn’t deliver the hormone release that would come from doing a big heavy compound at the start of the session and doesn’t give your body enough incentive to grow.

This is especially true if you have been pushing your body for 5years already.

However if you are happy to only get bigger and stronger at a modest rate and give your mind and body a rest every 3rd week than that’s fine to.