Frenchie's Killer Queen Log

I really know nothing about the pace/timing of meets. But, it does seem a meet is pretty taxing, and if you’re not ready to compete again no sense putting your body through that stress. Hopefully, a deload will give you a bounce.

If you’re not feeling it then skip it. With events like this you should be excited to compete. If you’re not, then there’s no point.

i see pros and cons either way.

deloads, huh. maybe i should look into those, too :-/

they don’t sound like very much fun :-/

I don’t compete very often so maybe I’m a little biased, but there are some pretty sucky aspects of pl comps, so I find it hard to get excited about “doing it for the experience” when I know I’m not bringing my best to the platform. I just think its silly to put all that time into meet prep, spend the money to compete, and then match the numbers you had for your last meet.

I agree with what MIM said. It’s your meet. You call the shots. I you aren’t feeling good about it, don’t do it. There are plenty of other meets that you can do when you’re feeling ready again.

Take a deload and get back at it. Whatever you decide, I know your deadlift is going to be epic the next time you compete.

Thanks for the imput folks. I don’t want to be a whiney baby, and I’m not saying there has been NO improvement on squats but I’ve been form rehabing with good success (wall squats, sitting back and such) without adding much weight to the bar. I’m thinking the next step for me is to use what I learnt with more weight.

and you’re right BG - my deads are coming along nicely. I’ll be very proud to show those off when my other 2 lifts get a bit of a boost.

Regardless I’ll run this over with the coach this friday and see what she has to say.

Hi Mainie.

that’s all I got.

Hi!

You’ve been working so hard on technique stuff so I hope that you’re proud of that. As for the meet, I agree with the others. Totally your call, but I’m an intuitive and if I’m not feeling something… well go with your gut. That’s my 2 cents.

Good luck with the deloading. Maybe I can learn a little about what exactly that means from your log when you do it.

Technique work is tough especially when you are trying to undo movement patterns that have become pretty ingrained. That you are sticking with it is commendable and shows real dedication to your sport.
Everyone’s said it already - if you’re not feeling it for the meet this June don’t feel guilty about skipping it and aiming for the next one.

I poked my head in SAMA too - I’ll never think of saran wrap the same. Very nice!

Hey Mainy, is there a push/pull only part of the next meet you could do? If you don’t feel up to a full power meet, and your deads are improving greatly, there’s a push/pull option (hopefully) that would still let you compete.

You’re doing great, and your form is improving on everything. If you want to show it off, go forth and dominate. If you’re not ready, marinate until you are, and wreck the shit our of the next meet!

LWI

I’m hungry for some bbq now.

Saran wrap and marinating…get it?

Anyway. I wasn’t feeling the strongman comp, cause even though I could do it for the experience, like BG said(hi there!!)
I don’t think I’d be totally bringing my best work.

[quote]nlmain wrote:
competition check:
2 steps
[/quote]
Only two? I do three. Back, side, side.

[quote]nlmain wrote:
stop fiddling feet - I’m so freaking bad with this one.
[/quote]
You will get better with this simply because it becomes harder and harder to “dance” as the weight gets super heavy.

Regarding whether to do a meet . . . only you can make that call. I agree with Buckeye Girl that if I’m not going to beat previous numbers, I’m not real motivated to step on the platform. Also, refining form is all well and good. But it’s certainly not the same as training for heavy singles on the platform.

I’ll be real curious to see how 5/3/1 + de-loading works for you.

Thanks for your imput Snap - I appreciate you taking the time to comment on this.

so on tonight’s menu:

Deads:
135x5
155x5
195x3
220x3
235x3 - no chalk or belt up this point and happy with the my grip.
245x3 - chalk and belt from this point on.
255x5 rep PR+ 3 from last week. was aiming for 8 but the stupid fire alarm kept buzzing which was distracting as hell. next time I get 8 fo sure!

Squats:
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x3
165x2
175x1
185 2x1
165x3
155 3x3
135x5

-knees out, lower backed locked, thinking of commands.

my legs are already sore. the doms should be epic tomorrow.

Nice deads Frenchie! You’ll get the 255 for more reps next time. That’s freakin’ awesome!

I know zip about PL meets, but I do notice that people with lots more experience than me will still step back and work on basic technique at low weights, or BW. And rest. Oh, and LOBSTER!!! Yum!

[quote]veggiestrong wrote:
Good luck with the deloading. Maybe I can learn a little about what exactly that means from your log when you do it.[/quote]

CNS takes longer to recover than muscles… even if muscles are sore, they can still perform- if your CNS is too taxed, you’ll just shut down as a precaution.

the programmed deload after an intense week (or a meet) is more to let your CNS recover than your muscles, which is why 5/3/1 says to still go in and do work, but higher volume and less weight, as that doesnt place much (if any) demand on your CNS.

n- you’re not getting paid for the meet or your totals and you’re not sponsored with any requirements. don’t do the meet if you’re not feeling it. test your maxes in a few weeks if that makes you feel better, but if your mind and heart aren’t in it, its not worth it.

185 is hard for me to pull off the floor…I can’t imagine having that on my back! Sick squatting!

Nice DL PRs. It was a good DL day for both of us =D

Nice work!!

Nice deadlift PR!
I couldn’t squat after deadlifts. My lower back would be toast.

oh shit. 45 pages.

are you ready?

hmm… i really should look into 5/3/1 for my squats (re: the ramping and deload scheme). i just… really really really really really… don’t understand math :frowning:

edit:

uh oh. looks like i broke your log :frowning:

link to new log: