T Nation

Free Virus Protection Software?

Can anyone please recommend a reliable and free virus protection software available for download on the web?

Thanks.

Avast Free and AVG Free are the two big hitters of free antivirus. I’ve heard that Avast is on par with some pricey antiirus programs, but I have never tried both of them. Do I win her?

used to use AVG. It will bug you about upgrading.
now using microsoft security essentials.

I got the AVG cuz my computer had hiv.

It seems to work pretty well after wiping my entire system and reinstalling from the original restoration c.d.s.

ClamWin:
http://www.clamwin.com/content/view/18/46/

We use this corporate wide (that’s 200 divisional and 1000+ corporate-wide IT company)

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
ClamWin:
http://www.clamwin.com/content/view/18/46/

We use this corporate wide (that’s 200 divisional and 1000+ corporate-wide IT company)[/quote]

Or, you could try its’ lesser known counterpart, ClamFTWin.

My friend fixes computers for a living. I caught a virus at the begining of the summer, so he had to wipe out my OS and reinstall it. He then suggested AVG and installed it for me. It has kept me sfe about 5 times since he installed it. I really don’t get bugged that often about upgrading. I’ve been very happy with it and I would suggest it

AVG

[quote]jisboss wrote:
[/quote]

This. Plus I use Malware Bytes, and CCleaner (I’ve used this a couple times when there were some traces of a virus left (message that would pop up saying missing xxxxxxxx.dll file, or something along those lines)).

[quote]kellerdp wrote:

[quote]jisboss wrote:
[/quote]

This. Plus I use Malware Bytes, and CCleaner (I’ve used this a couple times when there were some traces of a virus left (message that would pop up saying missing xxxxxxxx.dll file, or something along those lines)).[/quote]

To be clear though, Malwarebytes and CCleaner are not antivirus programs. Malwarebytes is used for malware/spyware protection and CCleaner is used to clean your registry, delete temporary files and manage startup applications. Both of these are essential but not exactly antivirus. I recently switched from FreeAVG to Microsofts Security Essentials and am very impressed. I have run several zero day penetration tests the day they are announced and the definitions have already been updated. The program runs very light weight and doesn’t bother me. Whatever you do never buy Norton or McAfee they are total crap.

I second avast… I’ve been using it for years with no issues what so ever. Also Microsoft security essentials is pretty legit from what I hear but I have no experience with it.

Third for avast. I have used it for years with no problems. I tried discreetly telling this to a women buying a computer at best buy and the guy behind the desk trying to sell her Semantic got all butthurt and told me AVG doesn’t work.

I informed him that I HAVE to install Semantic at work and it is nothing but headaches. Of course I didn’t know what I was talking about because I’m not on the Geek Squad.