T Nation

Free the Jenna 6 Shirt Banned

School Bans “Free The Jena 6” Shirts.

School officials in Jena Louisiana have banned students from wearing t-shirts that read “Free the Jena 6.” The school superintendent said the t-shirts are a threat to the order of the campus.

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/31/1435243

Sad.

Yeah, we all know that solving the world’s problems is only a few T-shirts away.

This really sucks. It reminds me of when I was in Jr. High. Back in the day, we were not allowed to wear any tee shirts or tennis shoes outside of gym class.

Well, racial tension is extremely high in that town right now. There has been numerous black/white fights and many more threats towards the student body. Teachers have threaten to quit if these arrested students are allowed back into class for fear of violence. It’s not pretty, and really makes La. look even worse.

There is also an allegation that the arrested students that are charged with attempted 2nd degree murder had no weapons and were jailed, while the white students in the same fight weren’t charged with the same. In fact I haven’t read where the white students were even arrested, making the whole incident even more racially biased.

Sorry about being an ass in my last post. I was just screwing around… anyways, this is interesting.

I remember my friends and I got into a fight at a football game during high school and the opposite thing happened. The white kids got nabbed by security and they told the black kids to go get lost. The black kids started it too. It was in retaliation for one of the black kids punching my buddy’s little brother in the face.

The good old days, when we actually fought and didn’t shoot one another . . . .

In order to understand the Jenna 6 story better, you would need to know the back ground of these kids. Were they trouble makers? Gang bangers? What’s the story?

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
Sorry about being an ass in my last post. [/quote]

Don’t worry about that. We all have our moments.

Yep. The same good ol’ days where Paris Hilton would get spat on instead of idolized, right?

Being a regular of DemocracyNow! I’ve been following the story since it first broke out last year. It’s kinda hard to recapitulate concisely but you may wanna catch up here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/this_world/6685441.stm

There was only one white student in the fight, it was 6-on-one and they continued to beat him after he had fallen to the ground, was unconscious, and bleeding profusely from his head.

[quote]lixy wrote:
School Bans “Free The Jena 6” Shirts

School officials in Jena Louisiana have banned students from wearing t-shirts that read “Free the Jena 6.” The school superintendent said the t-shirts are a threat to the order of the campus.

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/31/1435243

Sad.[/quote]

Don’t be so sad, they’d probably ban my “Islam is Evil” shirt too. Schools aren’t democartic governments after all.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Don’t be so sad, they’d probably ban my “Islam is Evil” shirt too. Schools aren’t democartic governments after all.[/quote]

You think they’d let me on a plane with a shirt like that?

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Don’t be so sad, they’d probably ban my “Islam is Evil” shirt too. Schools aren’t democartic governments after all.[/quote]

What’s Islam gotta do with this? This analogy is just ridiculous.

What you probably mean to say is that the school would ban your “Fry the Jena 6” shirt.

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
There was only one white student in the fight, it was 6-on-one and they continued to beat him after he had fallen to the ground, was unconscious, and bleeding profusely from his head.[/quote]

Free those poor innocent victims of oppression!

If anything fits the definition of a hate crime this is it.

I have read that this kid had nothing to do with any of the previous problems like the nooses in the tree.

I hope that they convict whoever jumped this kid and they are punished to the fullest extent of the law. I also hope that if any of these kids were not involved they are found not guilty.

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat36 wrote:
Don’t be so sad, they’d probably ban my “Islam is Evil” shirt too. Schools aren’t democartic governments after all.

What you probably mean to say is that the school would ban your “Fry the Jena 6” shirt.

[/quote]

They are both infuriating. Imagine if it was your friend or brother that was jumped knocked out and then kicked and some jackass is sitting next to you in class wearing a shirt that calls for the criminals that did it to be set free.

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat36 wrote:

[/quote]

It wasn’t an analogy, it was just a joke.

I had to read up on this. 2nd degree murder charges seem a little much, but at the end of the story in the local paper recently one of the 6 stated, “Just drop the charges and let me move on.” I don’t think so spanky.

I agree with no 2nd degree attempted murder charges, but there are consequences and they should be meted out accordingly. And that applies to the jackasses who put up the nooses in the first place.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
Well, racial tension is extremely high in that town right now. There has been numerous black/white fights and many more threats towards the student body. Teachers have threaten to quit if these arrested students are allowed back into class for fear of violence. It’s not pretty, and really makes La. look even worse.

There is also an allegation that the arrested students that are charged with attempted 2nd degree murder had no weapons and were jailed, while the white students in the same fight weren’t charged with the same. In fact I haven’t read where the white students were even arrested, making the whole incident even more racially biased. [/quote]

The underlying issue is definately very racial but it is difficult to say that the authorities are acting out of racial bias without knowing the full situation surrounding the incedent where a law was disregarded.

Opinions are legal even if offensive, assault is not in any case. Who started the fight and who acted in self defense?

I had to wear a uniform in my public school.

These poor kids have it so rough these days.

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
There was only one white student in the fight, it was 6-on-one and they continued to beat him after he had fallen to the ground, was unconscious, and bleeding profusely from his head.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s not attempted murder. /sarcasm

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat36 wrote:

[/quote]

My school made me change clothes for having a shirt with a picture of a stool on it. Apparently I was promoting drinking.

Censoring clothes is nothing new in Public Schools, the fact that it was about the Jena 6 makes it look bad but it’s hardly unique. Most political speech that is not given in the form of a persuasive essay is shot down in my school.

Good article in Slate today on this:

Look, the judicial system is made up of people and thus there are going to be biases of all kinds; including racial. We still have a lot of work to do in that respect in this country.

But here’s an idea: How about not subjecting yourself to that system by not committing felony assault with intent to kill?