Free Test 215. Is This Low?

Hello and greetings. I shall begin by saying that, quite obviously, I am new to this site but have read it from behind a curtain for quite a while. My predicament is as follows: I am receiving disability from the VA for certain conditions, mostly mental “deficiencies”. At my most recent GP appointment and lab I had my testosterone checked. They informed me they can only check free testosterone. When I received the results I was astounded by the description. I tested at 215ng/dl. I was told the reference group was between 70 and 800 so I was perfect. I said “that reference group includes 90 year old WWII vets, and I am barely over their levels?”

I am 42 years old, 6’ and 207# that I cannot shake off. I am tired yet don’t sleep well. I love to lift (or did in the past) but just can’t pick my self up to do it anymore. What are some thoughts? VA won’t admit that it is low so I am thinking “is it really low or I am having myself on?” Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Kindest Regards

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=va+testosterone+range&as_sitesearch=T-Nation.com

You need to present more lab data if you have it:

CBC
fasting cholesterol
fasting glucose
TT
FT
E2
DHEA-S
ALT
AST
TSH, fT3, fT4
LH
FSH
AM cortisol [8 AM]

Could your meds be affecting your T levels?

Low T is not a cause, it can be a symptom and then the task is finding the cause.

Blows to the head can damage the pituitary gland, leading to secondary hypogonadism. Your problem may be injury related.
PTSD?

Have you read the advice for new guys sticky?

My apologies. I should have been a little more specific. The disabilities are of the learning and social kind. Not of the injurious sort. The only readings on the test results were, and i quote, “testosterone 215ng/dl Test Type Vitros 5.1”. HDL 32 LDL 155 Cholesterol 235 (or near that). I am away from the test results right now, but there wasn’t much more. And i should have read the sticky but just jumped right into posting. Sorry for that

Darn it. I just realized that i typed that they only checked free test. That should have said total.

Need lab ranges with that.

You you do not take meds?

I aplogise. Im so new to this. Ranges? are you talking about the reference range? If so, they report the range is 71.8-800

Yes, I take Simvastatin for cholesterol. I also take Zoloft Buspirone

My labs and Ranges from the VA

TT 570 - 241-827
FT 20.4 - 8.7 - 25.1
E2 33.2 - 7.6 - 42.6

This is universal. They will run any test you want. Switch doctors or go to the patient advocate. I was started on androgel. Finally got switched to shots. I will never get HCG or an AI from them. They want me to see a Endo, It would be a waste of time. Testosterone will help temporarily until the side effects kick in and you need an AI.

Restoring T levels might reduce the need for the SSRI. Some guys are put on SSRI’s when the only problem is hormones.

Simvastatin is a statin drug. These can lower your production of CoQ10 in your liver, and can cause a CoQ10 deficiency. If you have any muscle pains or persistent cough, that can be a serious problem. You can take Ubiquinol, a type of CoQ10, as a supplement.

Read the ‘advice for new guys’ sticky and see how thing proceed in other guys’ threads.

Inability to loose weight can be from low T, estrogen dominance and thyroid problems.

What is going on with your blood pressure?

No more lab data?

Fasting glucose?