Free T is Fine, but Total T is Low

[quote]KSman wrote:
When hypothyroid guys go on TRT, they can feel worse. With TSH=5.26, you were very hypo. So it looks like you are simply under-medicated. Are you missing doses?

Check your body temps as per the thyroid basics sticky and let body temps be your dosing guide.

You are taking T4 medication, but some need T3 as they are poor converters of T4–>T3.

This post needs thyroid panel labs.

I also noted:ACTH, Plasma 42 (6-50) 81%
Cortisol, AM 13 (4-22) 50%

ATCH can be up if the needle in your arm stressed you out and cortisol response to that can lag. That cortisol level is a bit low. Your thyroid function state might be part of this. Get good thyroid labs and body temperatures and see where adrenals go. You could try some KAL brand progesterone cream [which is 2%], amazon has it, also good for your ?wife? perhaps.

You need to be checking fT3, it is what gets the job done inside your cells, regulating body temps via mitochondrial metabolic rate.

[/quote]

I have not yet tried the progesterone cream.

My morning temps were between 97.8 to 98 so I went up on Synthroid.

On 100mcg I was sweating a lot and I got so hot at night that I couldn’t sleep with even a sheet over me, so I backed down to 75mg earlier in the week.

Here are the lab results from LabCorp. Previous results were from Sonora Quest.

FT3: 3.5 (2-4.4) - 62%
FT4: 1.46 (0.82-1.77) - 67%
TSH: 2.53 (0.45-4.5) - 51%

ACTH: 50.1 (7.2-63.3) - 76%
Cortisol: 17.9 (6.2-19.4) - 88%

Serum Testosterone: 241 (348-1197) - -12% LOW
Free Testosterone: 30.7 (8.7-25.1) - 134% HIGH

Maybe I should have checked SHBG. I do not understand why Free T is now flagged high and serum T is flagged low at the same time. I am not on anything other than Synthroid. Except I started taking 100mcg Selenium about a week ago. I suspect this elevated Free T is a lab error because in all the tests to date (lots of tests), Free T has never been flagged high.

Some of the brain fog cleared up and I have more energy. But my muscles and joints still hurt and my short term / working memory hasn’t improved.

Last weekend was psychologically stressful so my cortisol was on the high end, but at least ACTH is looking better. I read the paper you talked about “Venepuncture causes rapid rise in plasma ACTH”. But I was stressed out at this lab draw (the phlebotomist was scary) so perhaps the Synthroid is helping to strengthen my adrenals.

But I’m now concerned about this HIGH/LOW free/serum testosterone problem. I’d like for my FT to be flagged HIGH, that’d be great, but I know it must have been either a lab error or some sort of problem going on.

I thought that thyroid hormone increases SHBG. If that’s the case, I must be really screwed up.

Should I retest?

I tried to post images of my labs. Is there a way to do that?

The differences in reference ranges for Free Testosterone (Sonora Quest) and Free DIRECT Testosterone (LabCorp) were confusing.

Sonora Quest range for free testosterone:
35-155 pg/mL

LabCorp range for free DIRECT testosterone:
8.7-25.1 pg/mL

I found a pubmed article on the different tests. “Free testosterone by direct and calculated measurement versus equilibrium dialysis in a clinical population”. It said “results support the clinical use of both RIA and cFT as measures of FT. Due to numerical differences, each test requires its own set of reference values.”

Synthroid should be reducing TSH but still high.

E2 is more useful that SHBG.

[quote]KSman wrote:
Synthroid should be reducing TSH but still high.

E2 is more useful that SHBG.[/quote]

I really appreciate the replies KSMan. I plan to check E2, SHBG, T, and TSH again later next week or the week after. If you or anyone can think of any other tests I should be doing please let me know.

New results just in:

Testosterone, serum: 224 LOW (348-1197) -14%
Free Testosterone (Direct): 20.2 (8.7-25.1) 70%
Estradiol: 25.2 (7.6-42.6) 50%
SHBG, Serum: 26.7 (16.5-55.9) 25%

How can this be possible?

Should I check my liver? albumin?

Something is wrong because I feel like complete crap. My memory is bad and I have no morning wood (been years), fat accumulating on my lower body and no ambition.

But Synthroid has kicked in full blast. I get heart palps now, I sweat, my temp is up.

I probably don’t have much blood left but I’ve done two more tests this week.

I’ve used three different labs to date. Labcorp, Sonora Quest (Banner/Quest) and now Quest Diagnostics.

At Quest Diagnostics this week:

TSH 0.8 (0.3-5.5)
Serum T: 242 (250-1100) LOW
Calculated Free T: 48.5 (35-155) - 11% of normal

Labcorp does DIRECT Free T and it says that is high-normal. But both Sonora Quest and Quest gave me CALCULATED Free T and it says low-normal.

One final time, I’m going to Sonora Quest right now and asking for DIRECT Free T. If THAT is normal then I give up, but if it’s LOW, I think I need a hormone doctor (one is scheduled for this afternoon).

[EDIT… update after 1 hour]
Well scratch that idea. I went to Sonora Quest and they do not have a direct free T test. They only do calculated.

Does anyone know of another lab that I can send out to that does direct free testosterone?

[EDIT… update]
I just saw the hormone doctor and he said that the labs do not make sense to him either, but did not elaborate on direct vs calculated free testosterone tests. He prescribed 200mg testosterone / week. Not sure if I should keep digging or if I should get that filled Monday. I hate to be taking shots the rest of my life but I can’t figure out why I’m low. It seems Synthroid made me lower and screwed something up with my free testosterone where the tests from one lab are not agreeing with the other. Very confused.