T Nation

Free Comic Book Day is Tomorrow

Free Comic Book Day is a single day - the first Saturday in May - when participating comic book shops across North America and around the world give away comic books absolutely FREE* to anyone who comes into their stores.

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/index.asp

The site offers a store locator for all y'all who may not know where the local comic shop is.

Last year comics from 40 different publishers were available. All the big guns like DC, Marvel, and Image showed up in force giving away a big variety of books and swag. There are plenty of smaller publishers like Dynamite (who is doing a bang up job on the Lone Ranger series) and independents like Radical Publishing.

So go ahead and visit your local comic shop. Take the kids. Get some free stuff.

Check it out.

Some samples of the free loot being given away

Good shit, im gonna have to check it out.

What's a comic book? A book of jokes?

The only store near me doing FCBD opens when I go into work. So, my coworker is getting abandoned soon as he comes in.

toxic fucker also pointed out how "stupid it is for a grown man" to buy comic books. POinted out that Playboy would be a better investment. "At least it's serious." Also finds humor in my supplements, diet, and working out.

Some people have sad lives.

They need comic books.

Kind of hard to justify that when the top grossing films from last year were Batman and Iron Man.

Plus, last time I read Playboy they had dedicated columns for video games, comic books, and collectible statues/toys.

Those who think they know everything just annoy those of who do.

Nothing near me! Freaking Fort Lost in the Woods, Misery!!!!

Impressions from Free Comic Book Day:

Green Lantern: Blackest Night is going to melt the faces of all.

The Avengers . . . is another reason to pass on Marvel.

Not Free:

Immortal Iron Fist is THE Marvel book. Apparently, instead of making something that sucks, Joey-Cue is letting some awesome out into the world.

I need to go into a comic shop with a MUCH larger budget.

Oh, BTW, what happened to Wizard: The Guide to Comics? That mag used to rock all the socks. Now . . . blargh. It's like Men's Health Comic Book Special.

I used to love Wizard.

I picked up a Cable & Deadpool graphic novel to redeem the shitty image of Deadpool from the Wolverine film.

I need to go in and get some more Iron Man stuff. And I used to love Death's Head but they only had the two issues that I already own.

I will check out Immortal Iron Fist, Vash. Thanks.

Yeah, Blackest Night is going to be absolutely epic in scale. I'm trying to get caught up on my GL & GL Corps as is. The Black Lanterns are the big buzz right now. We've seen toy sculpts for Martian Manhunter and Kal-L as black lanterns and DC just delivered some promo art confirming Aquaman is going to be a black lantern. Plus, DC has been killing off heroes and villains left and right for the last 10 years, so the black lantern prospects are massive. THe old GL villain Black Hand will be in htere for sure. Other possibilities are Superboy, Jade, Blue Beetle (Ted Kord), Maxwell Lord (the guy who killed Ted Kord), Mirror Master, Captain Boomerang, and well anybody who is currently dead in the DC universe.

I've been catching up on the Immortal Iron Fist Trades and am loving this relaunch. Good to know there is much more greatness to come.

The rest of Marvel is so "hit or miss".
World War Hulk - good (could've been better though)
Civil War - good
Spider-Man revealing his identity to the world - awesome
Spider-Man making a deal with the devil to divorce his wife and live with his 80-year-old aunt - Kinda Oedipus-Rexy
Skrull Invasion - Meh
M Day and the 198 Mutant affair - Total crap and a cop-out on Marvel's part

The First three trades paper backs are available.

Psuedo-Spoiler

Loved the shot of Sue Dibney's head stone in the Blackest Night one-shot . . . Dead Identity Crisis? What about Batman?

The covers to the IIF are some of the most perfect shots I have seen in the past 15 years. The art almost always fits the story for the internals, and the writing has yet to disappoint.

Having Sue and Ralph "Elongated Man" Dibny come back as black lanterns would be crazy. I wonder if the Black Lanterns won't ultimately serve as a means for DC to bring back all the characters they have killed off over the years. Mostly I want to see the Dibny's, Superboy, Martian Manhunter, and Jade (can never have to many green-skinned women in sci-fi) resurrected.

As for Batman, I was thinking no. I don't think he will be coming back as a black lantern since he was hit by Darksied's Omega Sanction. And if I understand the Omega Sanction correctly it sends the person to their own personal hell where they live increasingly worse lives with increasingly more painful deaths. Which, if I was in charge, would make for seriously insane suspense/horror stories as Batman fights and claws his way back to the living.

But then I saw this picture.........

Bruce Wayne's body is dead. According to Wikipedia, he's being jumped through time. Last seen with the dieing Anthro, the First Boy.

With Batman's mind in one place, his dead body in another, what happens when they get back on the same timeline?

Fuck it, I'm just picking up the Final Crisis anthology.

Here I was, trying to budget my comics to little or nothing, and BAM.

Fucking free comics.

DC Forever.

He wakes up in the dirt?

If his body has the black ring . . .

Otherwise, Jason Todd Fail.