Freak Accident/Death in Gym

[quote]d1chet wrote:
I guess he’ll never be the head of a major corporation[/quote]

All these stories are very tragic, but if it were to happen to me I would not want everyone sad about it. We all know that there are dangers in everything we do throughout our daily lives. Now the kid in the garage in Texas depending on age should have been taught not to collar the weights when lifting alone(for sure tragic).

I’m pretty sure I saved a young kid from splitting his skull open at the gym a couple months back . a guy I know just finished a set with 175 on the seated over-head press station , and then walks away to get a drink…about 50 feet away , but out of sight from the station . this kid ( about 12 , under a hundred pounds)that had been milling around the free-weight area starts eye-ballin’ the bar and then sits his ass down on the seat…then he reaches up and grips the bar . Im thinkin the kid is with the other older dude…but not sure I stand up a bit not sure what the fucks happening . then the kid slides his feet apart as if he’s bracing his back up against the back-rest prior to un-racking , and a chill shoots down my spine… and I shout out " HEY " as I scramble towards him .he lets go of the bar , lookin a bit embarrased , and walks away . he might have gotten the bar off the pins , but no way in hell was he going to prevent it from crashing down on his skull . turns out he wasnt with the older guy…just a kid wandering around the weight room .

tell ya what …if I owned or managed this type of facility , no way I would have let this scenario develop .

[quote]Fat Bastard. wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

Damn. That sucks. Sorry for your loss, OP.

DB bench/DB shoulder press - a momentary lapse mid lift can be dangerous. I was spotting someone a while ago an barely managed to prevent the 45lb DB from crashing on his face. Not that heavy, but was scary.[/quote]

A friend of mine had a seizure while doing db bench and clubbed himself in the head with a 65lb’er.

He started doing db bench to avoid having a loaded bar pin him in case he had one.
[/quote]

And what happened to him?[/quote]

Its hard to say. It was difficult for me to differentiate the effects of a head trauma from a seizure, and after about 10 minutes he cleared up enough to speak and what not. With no apparent bleeding and little swelling, he didn’t want to go to a hospital. Neurological examination which was already scheduled for a few days later didn’t reveal any complications.

The section which was causing the seizures has since been removed, and over all, he has made a great recovery.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

DB bench/DB shoulder press - a momentary lapse mid lift can be dangerous. I was spotting someone a while ago an barely managed to prevent the 45lb DB from crashing on his face. Not that heavy, but was scary.[/quote]

A friend of mine had a seizure while doing db bench and clubbed himself in the head with a 65lb’er.

He started doing db bench to avoid having a loaded bar pin him in case he had one.
[/quote]

Its hard to say. It was difficult for me to differentiate the effects of a head trauma from a seizure, and after about 10 minutes he cleared up enough to speak and what not. With no apparent bleeding and little swelling, he didn’t want to go to a hospital. Neurological examination which was already scheduled for a few days later didn’t reveal any complications.

The section which was causing the seizures has since been removed, and over all, he has made a great recovery.
[/quote]

I didn’t know that one could survive the blow from a 65 lb DB crashing on the head!

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn’t know that one could survive the blow from a 65 lb DB crashing on the head![/quote]

[quote]DJHT wrote:
I didn’t know that one could survive the blow from a 65 lb DB crashing on the head![/quote]

1st comment: “His head has a spoiler” LMAO!

Sorry to hear that clip, it’s certainly tragic.

Here’s a guy who should have used collars: