Fraud Victim

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
Fuck these people.

Now the question is… am I helping out the FBI by having said peice of shit send me a check and then passing it off to a bank to let them know?

What a piece of shit.

[/quote]

Its a bullshit check, so most likely no.

[quote]royalgoober wrote:
TriGWU wrote:
Anyone…

Anyone…

Bueller? Some help?
[/quote]

Can’t help with the scam issue but are you also selling it on roadbikereview and any other tri/road forums? I’ve sold/bought a ton of crap on various DH foums with no problems so I’d assume the same holds true for road pages. I’ve always stuck to dealing with other forum regulars FWIW.

Had the same thing happen to me when I listed a car in Hemmings (the classic car monthly). Same shtick, I blew it off as bogus as soon as I read it.

Fucking Nigerian Jackasses…

[quote]magyar wrote:
Had the same thing happen to me when I listed a car in Hemmings (the classic car monthly). Same shtick, I blew it off as bogus as soon as I read it.

Fucking Nigerian Jackasses…[/quote]

Totally random question but you wouldn’t happen to work for a company out of Macon, GA?

All right so the guy wrote back and said that I could cash the check and wait 6 weeks before it cleared to send him the money. Thoughts?

There just has to be a way to screw everyone over

If the check is drawn on an American bank, cash it at the bank that issued it. Then they should have no comeback if it turns out to be a dud. What bank would be so incompetent that it couldn’t recognize its own checks?

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
If the check is drawn on an American bank, cash it at the bank that issued it. Then they should have no comeback if it turns out to be a dud. What bank would be so incompetent that it couldn’t recognize its own checks?[/quote]

The question is… if the check goes through for 6 weeks and I just never send the guy anything…

can he come back and get me…

I know that there is a way to get these fuckers its just a very very very small trick and very very very hard to find it.

But am I wrong to think there HAS to be a way?

Any and all helpers will be compensated.

A little off topic, but there is a hilarious website devoted to re-scamming the guys from Nigeria who send out those emails about the 26,000,000 some fucker left behind and they just need someone in America to help them claim it.

I think that was a good idea to cash it at the issuing bank (if it’s an American one), or you could also open another account at a different bank, cash the check, then close the account.

Maybe open the new account under a different address. My current NYS licence has the wrong address simply because I haven’t changed it yet since I moved. If you could get away with changing your address on an official document, then you could open the account with a different address.

Okay, some of that might not be the most legal things to do, but hey, they’re trying to screw you out of as much money as they can, and they don’t give a rats ass about you or your life.

If you’re going to cash it, I’d rather have as little information about myself associated with that check. Just in case.

Open a new account, at a new bank, with something like $1.

Deposit the check.

Write the gonad that it bounced, so he’d better look into it. He’ll probably use someone elses stolen identity to send you another one.

Deposit the check.

Write back that it bounced too… so you are no longer willing to do “business” with them.

If the money stays in your account for six months or a year, close the account at that bank and keep the cash in your mattress… :wink:

Now, I wonder if I don’t have something I can sell… hmmm.

The only catch, you’ll have to have your name and a reasonably accessible address to accept the checks at. Not sure I’d like someone into identity theft overseas with my name and address and pissed that I had ten grand “of theirs” in my account.

Now, for me, my last name is pretty damned common… I might just be able to swing it and still be anonymous… :wink:

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
Is there anyway to end up ripping them off?[/quote]

I dont’ think so in this case… BUT, one guy had a similar situation with laptops. The con would pay for the shipping, so the seller loaded up TONS of junk laptops, monitors and other heavy items. The con man had a huge shipping bill. There is a website about this… somewhere.

My friends girlfriend went through the same situation. We told her not to get involved but eventually her bank locked her account and the FBI got involved.

This is a common scam.

scam the scammers as with the aforementioned approach go buy a twenty dollar used huffy paint the proper name on it and ship to them hold there check in an escrow acct.then be prepared to file complaint with with youre states attourney
and postmaster if he mails you the check the postmaster general will pursue on mail fraud

[quote]jmn21 wrote:
My friends girlfriend went through the same situation. We told her not to get involved but eventually her bank locked her account and the FBI got involved.

This is a common scam.[/quote]

Locked her account… why?

Because she was cashing bullshit checks or because they were stealing money?

[quote]vroom wrote:
Open a new account, at a new bank, with something like $1.

Deposit the check.

Write the gonad that it bounced, so he’d better look into it. He’ll probably use someone elses stolen identity to send you another one.

Deposit the check.

Write back that it bounced too… so you are no longer willing to do “business” with them.

If the money stays in your account for six months or a year, close the account at that bank and keep the cash in your mattress… :wink:

Now, I wonder if I don’t have something I can sell… hmmm.

The only catch, you’ll have to have your name and a reasonably accessible address to accept the checks at. Not sure I’d like someone into identity theft overseas with my name and address and pissed that I had ten grand “of theirs” in my account.

Now, for me, my last name is pretty damned common… I might just be able to swing it and still be anonymous… ;)[/quote]

I like it.

[quote]4est wrote:
TriGWU wrote:
Is there anyway to end up ripping them off?

I dont’ think so in this case… BUT, one guy had a similar situation with laptops. The con would pay for the shipping, so the seller loaded up TONS of junk laptops, monitors and other heavy items. The con man had a huge shipping bill. There is a website about this… somewhere.[/quote]

I should ship him all my kettlebells.

Still wouldn’t do it. It might seem like a satisfying opportunity to fuck the fuckers, but this crap is generated from a region known for corruption, massacres, and acts of brutality that make the standard American gang war look like a tip toe through the tulips. Seriously, pull your hand away from this flame. Call the F.B.I.

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
Still wouldn’t do it. It might seem like a satisfying opportunity to fuck the fuckers, but this crap is generated from a region known for corruption, massacres, and acts of brutality that make the standard American gang war look like a tip toe through the tulips. Seriously, pull your hand away from this flame. Call the F.B.I.
[/quote]

I agree, your fighting a battle the FBI, and many companies devoted to helping catch these assholes can’t begin to fight.

I can almost guarantee this check you’d recieved would be fake. You cash it? Then you’d be the one in the doghouse. You might not be repremanded for it, but you’d waste your time explaining why your trying to cash a $6000 fake check from the United bank of Rowanda!

I work at a bank, and we see fraudulent cashiers checks/money orders often. Many of them come from Bank of America.
My advise to you…do not deposit it into your acount. Some people hit it right on the head when they said cash it at the originating bank. But whatever you do, don’t deposit it into your own account. Somehow these scam artists have a way of getting the account number you used to deposit the check. They will turn your life into a living hell.
A lot of banks no longer will cash these items. We just recently had a non customer cash a fraudulent money order from Wal Mart. I’m not really sure why the dumb ass teller did it in the first place, but thats a whole different story. Anyway, after a little negotiating with the guy (luckily I live in a small town where it is possible to find people), the bank was able to get the money back.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

So I walk in to the bank the check was made out from. Tell them that it was from the internet that it could be fraudulent. Don’t cash it under my own account and see where it goes. If the cash goes through I tell him I’m ready to mail him my “bike”. Go out and buy a lil model toy bike for .99 and send it to him ala his shipping company. Never wire him the money and if in 5-6 months its still there then I’ll buy everyone here some Grow!.

But the key is that this has to be nice and well run. You all want some Grow!