Fraternity Hazing

I opened this thread cause I thought “who was accused of touching a hot c” was going to be “coed” not “clothes”.

Anyhoo.
If I want friends with similar hobbies then I will join a club, take classes etc. Not join a frat where people think I am willing to be debased; suffer enough of that crap in the work world. Want to get your ass kicked, touch me with a cattle prod.

I could really care less if people join fraternities, to each his own.

Actually, its the crux of your point, parallelling the two.

[quote]kelleyb wrote:
I love the fact people who bash fraternities have never tried to pledge or been a member of a fraternity for any appreciable amount of time. [/quote]

I’ve never stuck my dick in the garbage disposal, but I know it’s not a good idea.

Im used to hanging out with Purdue wrestlers, they used to kick the shit out of frat boys, Haze on that pussies!!

[quote]yasser wrote:

Actually, its the crux of your point, parallelling the two.[/quote]

Did you read my post? Im thinking you didnt.

I said that both enlistees and pledges submit themselves to hazing and both fraternities and the army use it for the same reason: to break the individual and reintroduce them to the group having had a common experience not held by outsiders.

Where does the nobility of the group fit into that? It doesnt.

[quote]Humpty454 wrote:
Im used to hanging out with Purdue wrestlers, they used to kick the shit out of frat boys, Haze on that pussies!![/quote]

My frat friends were tougher than your friends. LOL. Actually, my fraternity was the “football” fraternity. We had some BIG mothers in there (6’5", 360; 6’0", 310, 6’7", 275).

I think some of the misconceptions about fraternity life are laughable. I agree that anyone who would allow someone to do humiliating things to them for the sake of “friends” is ridiculous. But, most fraternities where I went to school were pretty much just a bunch of dudes who liked to party and lift weights together. We weren’t “rented friends” to each other. A lot of us were good friends that knew each other since day 1 as freshmen. Because we joined a fraternity and had a house to hang out in together and do stupid, regular guy shit, makes us all cunts and punks??? Some of you have some really closed minds.

And, I’m not sure how branding your fraternity letters on your shoulder is any different than getting a tattoo. My fraternity did not do this, but I know of a few who did.

DB

It does. The nobility is the cause your willing to make a sacrifice of ie. pride, health or self-esteem.

There is a purpose behind the military breaking you down, and that is to think as a unit as rather then an individual for battle and training purposes.

Fraternity is falling way short of breaking anyones spirit if it takes the military months and own your life.

If someone wants to join a fraternity and are willing to suffer the initiation that that is their perogative. But I dislike the comparison to the military, which is the only reason I chimed in.

[quote]SinisterMinister wrote:
My college rugby team certainly did plenty of what could be considered ‘hazing’, and it led to some of my fondest memories. There was never anything that would lead to any permanent scarring – physical or emotional – but it could sometimes get pretty nasty.[/quote]

precisely…i did shit i would do on an off day almost.
Do 40 hands, my zulu, sing terribly offensive songs, etc etc. Also, with rugby your talent and dedication to the team is what distinguishes you, not who licked the most frat ass or other circle jerk cookie stuff some frats do. (Not bashing all frats, just ones at my college)

[quote]yasser wrote:

Fraternity is falling way short of breaking anyones spirit if it takes the military months and own your life.

[/quote]

You mean like pledging which lasts 12-16 weeks, includes hours of meaningless standing around and boredom, intense situations, personal sacrifice, and dependence on your pledge brothers?

Pledging blows, thats why I didnt stick with it. It was a great group of guys and I am still friends (although not close) with many of them. I really feel like the vast majority of those railing against the greek community havent had any experience with the it beyond not being invited to parties and being picked on.

[quote]
You mean like pledging which lasts 12-16 weeks… snip[/quote]
Sounds like a job with shitty benefits.
Please read up on military basic training. Thx.

Yes, I am secretly railing against the frats because I was not invited to parties. You nailed it.

I let another man slap me naked, burn me with an iron, and make me drink to almost near death! I am Frat man! Hear my roar!

While that is horrible and both the people that receive and give out hazings are fucking retards in my book, I kind of wish that they did more dangerous shit.

Natural selection isn’t working.

Not in a frat, but it’s hard not to feel that the people who strongly loathe the Greeks just want to be a part of something so bad.

Same as the people who bitched about the ‘popular’ crowd in high school.

my baseball team did plenty of stuff that could be interpreted as hazing. and that was in high school.

in hoc signo vinces

I’d argue that perhaps it is. These guys were convicted following an investigation by Austin PD that itself followed one pledge falling five stories to his death.

His autopsy revealed his BAC was twice the legal limit, which I believe would make it .20 . From what I understand, alcohol poisoning sets in around .24-.25, and kills people.

So this isn’t normal. Cool.

And yeah, I’m of the mind that anyone who submits to this type of shit has serious problems. But that doesn’t necessarily mean they deserve the destruction they’re getting.

[quote]SinisterMinister wrote:
My college rugby team certainly did plenty of what could be considered ‘hazing’, and it led to some of my fondest memories. There was never anything that would lead to any permanent scarring – physical or emotional – but it could sometimes get pretty nasty.[/quote]

I was in a fraternity and played rugby - the rugby hazing was much worse. Of course, my undergrad was kind of nerdy, and nothing I ever heard of at school even approached the stuff in the original post. Ours was mostly copious alcohol consumption.