Fraternities (and Sororities)

[quote]belligerent wrote:
All sororities do is fight.[/quote]

Sounds like you have a lot of experience as a sorority girl.

I was greek, one of the smaller, nerdier houses, and it was great for me. Good people I still talk to, lots of experiences I wouldn’t have had without the house, and living there was cheaper than living on or off campus, dues included.

I wouldn’t pledge just to join something.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Frat boys are hated here in my school. At least that what the bathroom walls tell me…

Anyway, I wouldn’t mind throat fucking some fat sorority sluts every weekend. The bathroom walls tell me that too…[/quote]

You know… you really dob’t see much frat shit around here. Interesting.

CMU was a whole different story.

Anyway, OP - Almost everyone I’ve known who’s been in a frat, business/academic/social have all enjoyed themselves and said it was well worth it. I was thinking about joining one for my degree next year.

I had five years of greek life and loved it. Indeed a wild ride…

I lived in the house during my last few years of college. Don’t know how I made it out alive. Our house had 35 bedrooms and was walking distance to downtown Athens (~40 bars).

Every frat experience you could think of, I lived. It was awesome.

BTW, joining a fraternity or sorority is not the equivalent to paying for friends. The older guys that have been around the fraternity for years don’t get cash in their pockets or personal checks from the new guys.

Dues money goes towards a variety of things. My chapter spent most of our money on social events (open bars or renting out floors of hotels). The money also goes towards house maintenance, national dues, community meals and contributions to a chapter savings account.

Dues are just a way to pool together every member’s resources to plan parties. We had over a hundred active brother’s in my chapter, so our calender every semester was very very good.

We would rent a couple coach buses and each take a date with us to a braves game or thrashers game, drinking on the bus the entire time. One year we rented buses and took dates to South Carolina for the Carolina Cup (horse race) and tailgated all day.

We had at least 2 band parties in our basement every semester and anywhere from 300 to 500 people would show up, depending on which band we got. In the spring, we would order three dumptrucks full of sand to come to our parking lot and turned the parking lot into a beach volleyball court and had kiddie pools and trashcans full of beer everywhere.

We would have 2-3 date nights every semester. We’d go out to dinner with a group of 8-10 couples and then go downtown to a bar we rented out and didn’t have to pay for drinks all night.

Our formal would be in New Orleans every January. We would take dates down there for 3 days and stayed in a hotel on bourbon street. Ridiculous.

If you get the chance to join a good frat, don’t pass it up.

[quote]Big Aristotle wrote:
I had five years of greek life and loved it. Indeed a wild ride…

I lived in the house during my last few years of college. Don’t know how I made it out alive. Our house had 35 bedrooms and was walking distance to downtown Athens (~40 bars).

Every frat experience you could think of, I lived. It was awesome.

BTW, joining a fraternity or sorority is not the equivalent to paying for friends. The older guys that have been around the fraternity for years don’t get cash in their pockets or personal checks from the new guys.

Dues money goes towards a variety of things. My chapter spent most of our money on social events (open bars or renting out floors of hotels). The money also goes towards house maintenance, national dues, community meals and contributions to a chapter savings account.

Dues are just a way to pool together every member’s resources to plan parties. We had over a hundred active brother’s in my chapter, so our calender every semester was very very good.

We would rent a couple coach buses and each take a date with us to a braves game or thrashers game, drinking on the bus the entire time. One year we rented buses and took dates to South Carolina for the Carolina Cup (horse race) and tailgated all day.

We had at least 2 band parties in our basement every semester and anywhere from 300 to 500 people would show up, depending on which band we got. In the spring, we would order three dumptrucks full of sand to come to our parking lot and turned the parking lot into a beach volleyball court and had kiddie pools and trashcans full of beer everywhere.

We would have 2-3 date nights every semester. We’d go out to dinner with a group of 8-10 couples and then go downtown to a bar we rented out and didn’t have to pay for drinks all night.

Our formal would be in New Orleans every January. We would take dates down there for 3 days and stayed in a hotel on bourbon street. Ridiculous.

If you get the chance to join a good frat, don’t pass it up.
[/quote]

My experience was similar to this. It was amazing. I was president of my chapter for a year, and that has done wonders for my resume. It varies on what school you go to but I highly recommend it.

Sorry, I’m not a bro.
Brah.

Like Big Aristotle and mallen, I had the best time of my life in my frat back in college. I was there five years, lived in the house four. Was pretty active, held President, Recruitment, VP, etc.

You never know where you are going to meet brothers from your chapter or from other chapters in life. I ran into three guys that I pledged with in Iraq and about a dozen guys from other chapters of my fraternity. Same thing for Germany, just randomly meeting people you have something in common with.

It’s just not something that you can understand from the outside looking in…

I thought about it upon arriving at university. But with school and football I didn’t have the time. When I did consider rushing a fraternity, I was ordered to do some absurd things, which I gave a quick “fuck off” to. Consider the reason why you would want to join a fraternity/sorority. If you need to pay for friends, parties, and status then you should rethink things.

When I went to college I had no desire to join a fraternity. I thought they were all just a bunch of douch bags with poped collars and crooked ashton koocher hats (not my scene). One of my friends talked me into going to a rush event (free food was the kicker). I met a bunch of guys like the ones described above but one fraternity was different. They actualy spoke in complete sentences and their conversation wasn’t all about how many chicks they “bang” every night. They were just cool guys so I pledged and had some great times in my fraternity.

I’m not saying that the poped collar guys were bad they just werent the kind of people I like to associate with. But I say go for it. Fraternitys are a lot of fun and if you join the right one you can learn a lot and usualy give a little back to the community.

Guys seriously tough, how many frats are close to those as seen in ‘American Pie’??? You know, binge drinking, chicks, wild stuff. Hell that would make my academic life go to a new level of awesome :smiley:

Ehhhh…just dreaming lol

Best time of my life and the best friends I’ve ever had.

That being said, it depends on the house and the school. Even the same fraternity at a different school may have a drastically different “vibe”.

I joined because I got along really well with the guys in my house. As corny as it sounds, I do really see many of these guys as my brothers, not just “friends”

I was practically a part of a few of the sororities on my campus my first few years of school…

see how many heads that flew over…and I’m not kidding…some are skanks…most are skanks…but all are pretty good in the sack!

have fun dood but don’t let it run your life. I never joined a frat because I had plenty of friends and a life outside of school that the frat would just interfere with…def not against it tho…control the drinking and cap before you tap and your good. lol

DG

I second the rugby club recommendation.

Best decision I’ve made.

[quote]SSC wrote:
skaz05 wrote:
Frat boys are hated here in my school. At least that what the bathroom walls tell me…

Anyway, I wouldn’t mind throat fucking some fat sorority sluts every weekend. The bathroom walls tell me that too…

You know… you really dob’t see much frat shit around here. Interesting.

CMU was a whole different story.

Anyway, OP - Almost everyone I’ve known who’s been in a frat, business/academic/social have all enjoyed themselves and said it was well worth it. I was thinking about joining one for my degree next year.[/quote]

I assume you go to Western too? Anyway, I was referring to all the scribble I see on the bathroom walls around here. All stuff like “Frats R gay” and shit like that.

You are right though, the frat thing isn’t really that obvious here, but A LOT of the students certainly do party a bit too much in my opinion. I have seen hungover students puking in the halls and stuff.

Had some best times of my life being in a Fraternity ( Sigma Pi ). I could count on anyone of those guys to help at any time to this day still. Do it, you will never regret it.

Count me in with the positives. Best decision I made in my college years. A bunch of great guys, also helped out with the studying because somebody was either in a class with you or had just taken that class/had that professor. I was president for one year, first taste of leadership experience.

The camaraderie was fantastic. We looked out for each other and most of us had quite a few friends in other fraternities. I was at a small Southern School, by the way.

You will get wildly differing answers because Greek life is different from school to school, and from region to region.

You’ve already gotten some valuable advice; consider the sources. Most of the people with inside experience liked it. Look at Brett295 who had no desire to join one but after being around some guys he liked he joined and had some great times.

Bottom line: it’s [i]YOUR[/i] decision. Good on you for soliciting some opinions; I’m wishing you the best of luck!!