Frat Curls

[quote]dond1esel wrote:
I see a black man in your avatar, JMB, and I would presume that it is you. Let me make that comparison of stereotypes for you.
[/quote]

I’m confused. That is me in my avatar.

JMB

[quote]JMB wrote:
It’s official! Go to Urban Dictionary and vote “thumbs up” for the definition of “frat curl!”

ok, i hope i take a little bit more moderate of an approach…

im in a frat, im also a varsity football player

and everyday i thank god that i have the resources i have here, i train using a modified westside program created by Dave Tate along with some renegade elements by Davies

do i feel opressed by the frat boy curls reference? i hope not, i use them in the same context, often times, even the brothers in my fraternity do the same damn thing, and you better beleive i walk over and call them fags for doing it.

one thing to mention tho, they do what they do for different reasons. i lift to get stronger and faster, to become a better athlete. i know that the keys to my success are many, including nutrition, proper training, dedication, etc… all the creeds that us T-men follow here. my frat brothers tho, go by what is required of them. biceps and abs. in college, especially among the younger girls, if you have bicpes and abs, you have a nice body. fuck if your 160 and have nothing on your legs, that is what they care about, and thus frat boys oblige.

maybe this goes back to TC and the demasculinating (is that a word?) effect that society is putting on men. Younger men now lift in accordance to what women want!

on a side note tho, the whole frat curls thing dose get a bit annoying after a while. they curl like that because they are deuche bags, not because they are in a frat, they just just happen to be in a frat. for every frat brother you see hogging the squat rack doing curls, there is another one like me that cares about the way a man should train, not the way a woman thinks he should.

This is one of the funniest threads I’ve seen awhile!

[quote]JMB wrote:
It’s official! Go to Urban Dictionary and vote “thumbs up” for the definition of “frat curl!”

OMG!! That is the shit!!

La’
Redsol1

[quote]dond1esel wrote:
I’m not thin skinned…[/quote]

Ummm… Yes you are. Check again.

JMB~ That site has me rolling! Thx! Bookmarked for sure!!

[quote]Dr. Ryan wrote:
CU,

It really should go without saying, but the only things with collars on them at the gym should be the barbells.[/quote]

what makes that even more funny is the amount of guys who are “too tough” to use a collar in the weight room, it’s got to be hella embarassing to struggle and have all the weights fall off!

[quote]hoosierdaddy wrote:
ok, i hope i take a little bit more moderate of an approach…

im in a frat, im also a varsity football player

and everyday i…
[/quote]

Nicely said.

Ha ha ha, Frat Curls!

Man I love it, I had to vote for it.

Some people are taking this waaay to seriously, I mean… just because you get caught doing ‘frat curls’ doesn’t mean that you’re in a greek institution.

I’ve seen some skinny white trash guys doing these same lifts at my gym and have since dubbed them the “frat curlers”, meaning that they now belong to the fraternity of boys who want to get their biceps pumped huge so they can look tough in their “West Coast Choppers” tank tops.

Although… When I walk into my gym and read the word “Abercrombie” more than twice, I know I’m gonna see some stooopid shit. Same goes for dudes wearing pooka shell necklaces.

insecurity breeds defensiveness…
so why are you so insecure? You didn’t get laid at the last kegger?

Whether or not I am a T-man is not for me to say, but I was in a fraternity back in the day, and for the most part enjoyed the hell out of it. When else in your life are you surrounded by most of your friends, the biggest collection of young hotties around, and kegs of beer with minimal responsibility as long as you make grades and don’t F up too badly? Paradoxically, lots of my frat bros ended up being doctors, dentists, lawyers and such, even with all of the time wasted on 12oz. and frat curls. A test file and a unwritten rule that you had to help the young guys with school work if you took the class or studied the subject probably didn’t hurt.

It’s true that frat boys do lots of stupid things. But then again, they are groups of loosely supervised 18-22 years olds, such how much can you expect? I doubt that they are much dumber, or smarter, than others groups in the same settings.

As far as the sensitivity part goes, well, the shoe fits at least as well on the other foot. A lot of GDIs took pot shots at us. Frats are always, or should be, looking for new members to bolster the ranks, and have no problem bring guys by to show them around. Lots of the biggest detractors probably never set foot in one to have a look around. A guess they were too pissed off because those pink shirt wearing, frat curl curling pretty boys were banging the hottest chicks, throwing the best parties, getting in the best classes and pulling down good grades, and seemed to be having a grand time of it. Envy must be a real bitch.

If you want to do the kids a favor, then strike up a conversation with them and then hand them a piece of paper with the T-Nation web site on it. Tell them to read a few TC articles to get them hooked and then get them to read a few training articles. Don’t be suprised an little platoon of T-men arises. Of course some of them are arrogant little bastards (as are some non-frat boys) who need a proper beat down, but lots of them are just kids trying to figure a few things out and have a good time along the way. Can’t blame them for that can you?

Thumbs up!

I too am a member of a Fraternity. Only I can know what a great decision it has been for me to join a Fraternity. Being in a Fraternity has opened many doors for me, introduced me to many excellent people, and helped me grow as a man.

As far as the negative image of Fraternity men, or “frat boys,” I have stopped trying to change the minds of those that hate us so much. When I first joined, I was out to convince everyone of the virtues of the Greek Community. I realize now that nothing is going to change.

The reason why there is a bad stereotype is because there really are “frat boys” that make the rest of us look bad. For every Fraternity man that lives by the values set forth by their founders, there are 2 that only join “frats” to get drunk and laid.

Therefore I decided previously that I will better myself through my Fraternity, but not stress out about the publics opinion. If the public wishes to refer to squat curls as frat curls, then so be it.

im in one. most of its true. im in one of the most dominating in the country. the frat jokes should not bother you if it just does not apply. i read most of them and laugh because its highly true of some houses on this campus. just not mine.

I am a proud, proud member of Gamma Delta Iota.

I never felt the need to pay money in order to have friends - unless they were of the female persuasion, and even then only on an hourly basis.

[quote]schrauper wrote:
Whether or not I am a T-man is not for me to say, but I was in a fraternity back in the day, and for the most part enjoyed the hell out of it. When else in your life are you surrounded by most of your friends, the biggest collection of young hotties around, and kegs of beer with minimal responsibility as long as you make grades and don’t F up too badly? [/quote] -edited for length

Well said. I was in a Fraternity will in school also. Although I recognize the “frat curl” problem, I agree that it is mostly the uneducated lifters that do this. I can’t count how many times I have torn a page out of my training log and given www.t-nation.com to a younger trainer. Instead of making fun of these guys, help them.

Hey hey now. I don’t ‘hate’ fraternity members. I know plenty who are great guys and good athletes. But you gotta be able to laugh at yourself people.

And for what it’s worth, I’m not jealous of you either. It doesn’t take greek letters to get hot women.

JMB

[quote]dond1esel wrote:
Where the hell is the Greek community on these forums, that they let anybody say anything about us? I am a fraternity brother at a top university, and I am doing everything I can to improve myself the same way anyone else around here is. This is one time too many for such ignorance and stereotyping. Please act in a way befitting the level of knowledge available to you.
[/quote]

Apparently they aren’t on these forums or they wouldn’t be curling in the goddamn squat rack.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Nick

[quote]The_Incubator wrote:
Apparently they aren’t on these forums or they wouldn’t be curling in the goddamn squat rack.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Nick[/quote]

ROFLMAO

[quote]dond1esel wrote:
JMB wrote:
Try not to be so thin skinned, dude. Obviously you don’t fit the stereotype. I’m sure you’re in great shape and train the right way. It’s like using the term “soccer-mom.” Not all mothers whose children play soccer exemplify the traits associated with that term, but pretty much everyone uses it anyway. All I know is that the vast majority of frat boys at my school are the bench n’ curl type. Even if I were in a frat I would call them “frat-curls.”

Anyway, I don’t think I need to walk on eggshells for fear of bruising the egos of the insecure.

JMB

I’m not thin skinned, and I surely have nothing to be insecure about, but thank you for the assumption, which I assume is an erroneous deduction stemming from the fact that I last year pledged myself to a brotherhood of men to whom I had no previous obligations. I clearly must need the strength in numbers and blinding conformity, right? Well, since you probably have no interest in being rushed, I won’t tell you what I’m actually doing in a fraternity.

I’m sorry your post was the one that pushed me into action. But I think we all realize that derogatory references to fraternity brothers are chronic and rife in strength training literature and discussion, and this site is no exception. I obviously don’t like poor training habits either, but it is patently unfair to uniformly ascribe them to any group, and I can’t stand by any longer as a group of which I am a part is so affronted.

In fact, you have in your last post made the precise connection between your use of the term “frat curl” and the definition of a stereotype. Sorry, but not all “frat boys” are ignorant lifters, nor vice versa. I suppose the Greek community doesn’t have enough negative stereotypes to combat without the T-Nation denigrating its training habits.

I see a black man in your avatar, JMB, and I would presume that it is you. Let me make that comparison of stereotypes for you.

(Just for clarity, I am black man at a predominantly white institution who has joined a “white” fraternity, and carried both associated sets of baggage. I have the perspective to have made that statement.)

Now stop it.

P.S. lothario, that was ignorant.[/quote]

Man,you need to relax dude.

[quote]JMB wrote:
Just got back from this weeks pressing workout, and I’ve just seen something that blew my mind. Everyone’s seen prettyboys doing the infamous “frat-curls” in the squatrack etc, but I’ve never seen it taken to this extreme before.

I got to the gym at maybe 9:15, and there’s this frat looking dude in the squatrack curling. So big deal, I didn’t need to squat today, live and let live. But after about twenty minutes, I noticed that he was still curling, now on the preacher bench. Curling again and again with 25 or 35 pounders. Sometimes hammer curls, sometimes barbell curls, but always curls. 45 minutes have passed, and he gets up from the preacher bench… only to start performing standing curls! By this point I’m almost impressed by his endurance. I finished my workout in an hour, and when I left this guy was straining in front of the mirror doing standing hammer curls. He might still be there now, haunting the gym like some sort of biceps-obsessed phantom…

Anyway, I don’t want it to sound like I’m just bitching about “stupid gym people” or anything. I really don’t care what he does as long as he’s not in my way. I’m just amazed… That has to be the most intense biceps workout I’ve ever seen.

Too bad he doesn’t have much to show for it.

JMB[/quote]

Back to the topic at hand. I’ve got one better. I was traveling about 2 months ago on company business and looked up a local gym I could visit near the hotel I was staying in Oklahoma. Similar to the story you just told, this scrawny guy was doing preacher bench dumbell curls for at least the 45 minutes I was there if not more. But here’s the thing. He picked a dumbell weight for each arm that he could not handle for 1 rep on either arm (I think it was like 35 lbs). So he would start the rep and start screaming at the top of his lungs while using his other arm to spot the arm holding the dumbell. He made the most fucked up face contortions I’ve ever seen and his face would turn purple. His head would jerk back and forth violently as he screamed bloody murder while trying to do his one rep for each arm. His screams could be heard throughout the whole gym. He did this for 45 minutes. He’s doing this while I’m doing some heavy-ass barbell squats. I would wait between his screaming sets to do mine. I came really close to going over to him and punch his ass out.