T Nation

Frantz Squat Suit

“Now some of these fellows, in addition to three pairs of pants, which were then covered by a pair of trunks, had one of the standard black rubber belts… and then on top of this they would fold bed sheets and wrap very tightly around the body so that the body from the mid thigh up to nearly as high as the pectorals was one solid hard mass. These men would wobble out on the platform, hardly able to walk. It was very difficult for them to reach far enough down to grasp the bar in the dead lift. In the squat, of course, all they had to do was take the bar on and waddle away from the squat racks and then attempt to get down as far as a parallel squat.”
So did the 1968 Senior Nationals’ controversy signal an end to American Powerlifting’s “Age of Innocence” or merely the dawning of a new “Anything Goes Era”?

[quote]Limbic wrote:
“Now some of these fellows, in addition to three pairs of pants, which were then covered by a pair of trunks, had one of the standard black rubber belts… and then on top of this they would fold bed sheets and wrap very tightly around the body so that the body from the mid thigh up to nearly as high as the pectorals was one solid hard mass. These men would wobble out on the platform, hardly able to walk. It was very difficult for them to reach far enough down to grasp the bar in the dead lift. In the squat, of course, all they had to do was take the bar on and waddle away from the squat racks and then attempt to get down as far as a parallel squat.”
So did the 1968 Senior Nationals’ controversy signal an end to American Powerlifting’s “Age of Innocence” or merely the dawning of a new “Anything Goes Era”?[/quote]

Limbic…seriously whats your problem?..some people like powerlifting in gear …(GET OVER IT)…seriously its people like you who make the internet a shitty place…also what are your raw numbers??..you better be strong as shit raw with all the shit you talk…but hey its easy to talk shit over the internet isnt it???..rb

big martin:

Here’s some humor for you:

They say one of the reasons people call heroin “Horse” is because it makes them feel STRONG. Are they really that strong? This is where I fing you powerlifters: you won’t answer that question. If you aren’t really that strong, why pretend it’s a PR?
So, any more than you’d find me in a Shooting Gallery jabbing heroin syringes in my arms are you going to find me donning a bench shirt to set new PR’s.

Now refuse to answer the above question and I’ll say you types are the ones that make the internet a “shitty” place.

Here’s my middle ground: I think the shirts and suits are false, but I don’t think roids are. Here’s how: let myostatin be the teacher. Animals that produce far less myostatin, by mutation, gain far more muscle WITH IDENTICAL DIETS AND IDENTICAL EXERCISE LEVELS. Does that mean we should kill those animals, or confine them? No. Genetics is fickle. Until you are as strong as Rychlak, Kennelly, or Mendelson, etc. YOU shouldn’t use shirts or suits because you aren’t their equal. They didn’t get their raw strength by shirts, do you think your shirt will bring you their raw level eventually?

Tell us YOUR raw numbers and we’ll check back in 6 months, 12 months to determine if shirts have been worth YOUR time.

Have you ever worn gear Limbic?
Here are my current raw numbers at 181 lbs bodyweight:
squat- 515
Bench- 335
Deadlift- 515
I haven’t tested my raw max on squat or deadlift very recently, but I’m pretty sure they’re somewhat higher than what I’ve listed here as all my other lifts have been going up. Part of what helped me get this strong is the confodence I gained from handling supra-maximal weights with …you guessed it- Powerlifting Gear… and I’m willing to bet mendy and rychlak and most other powerlifters have experienced the same benefit in contrast to your beliefs that they got strong just by lifting raw.I enjoy lifting raw and I enjoy lifting with equipment. If you don’t…then don’t do it, but don’t harp on everybody else for doing it.

Peyton:
Now this I can relate to. I have never used gear. I have had two injuries, and without those injuries my strength level would have been by now similar to slightly above at same bodyweight, working out consistently less than 5 years. So no, I’m not a wussy.

Tell me how a shirt is different than rack lock-outs with chains?
Or a suit is different than heavy quarter squats?
These are honest questions.

This is one of my points: people can be “taught” to needlessly divert themselves, to dissipate their energies.
Are the shirts and suits doing that?

I understand use of them has become a club. That’s forgiveable.

I dont want to really debate with you…i just wish you would respect those that choose to lift in gear…and not harp in and try to start a over-done gear debate on some educational threads for young powerlifters its rude…there are a lot of lifters who like to use gear we find it fun and very challenging…rb

Lifting gear is FUN, and, amazingly enough, takes PRACTICE.

Much like a castrated dog, Limbic “does not get it”.

I’ll leave this alone after this.

big martin was right, I should have left this alone, you’re only trying to educated them.

Last humor:
Alexander:
When you’re deep in your squat, do your “Power Briefs” like, cram your balls back in your abdomen?
They should, because you’re pissing on mileposts that aren’t “Yours”.
Haha.

ok i’m sick of all this talk about gear. you still need to bust your ass and lift in a certain manner to bring up your weak points in the gear. ok i’m done with that but anyways I am amazingly strong in the top half of my squat but have a lot of trouble in the lower half so i know the inzer hybrid would hlep me even more than the average powerlifter. my question is big martin have you ever used denim briefs under your hybrid? I know it would be extremely hard to do but im playing around with trying to used DOUBLE denim briefs with the hybrid. you probably wouldn’t advise this but i am alaways experimenting on how to get stronger. what do u think?

Limbic:

Having read this thread and the other you started, I am struck by how narrow minded and self-important you sound.

You mention your raw numbers in relation to another posters, stating you would be close if not better to their’s if it weren’t for two injuries.

How weak minded and pathetic. I would love to be able to call you out on this because I am sure you probably couldn’t total 1000. The internet sure is a safe venue for guys like you.

I have torn my right pec two times, injured my SI joint several times to the point of not being able to get out of bed, have suffered numerous shoulder and elbow injuries. Most of which found me back training within 2-4 weeks and made me a better lifter.

I can assure you this does not make me unique in this sport, but rather quite typical.

It is painfully obvious you have never gone through a peaking routine for a contest. PL, BB, whatever. The goal is to maximize your performance, period.

In PL, you cannot do this without getting stronger. You can only tweak gear so much or add so many layers. Eventually, strength is the limiting factor.

I start a peaking cycle on 12/27 for a meet in mid February. I was just reviewing the numbers and I can assure you when meet day comes, I will have pushed my mind and body as far as they can go heading into the contest.

That’s what it is all about.

Limbic:

I’m not really a big champion of powerlifting “gear” but I think you are more than a little off the wall.

Bringing heroin usage into a discussion on powerlifting gear is more than a little disturbing to say the least.

[quote]Limbic wrote:
Peyton:
Now this I can relate to. I have never used gear. I have had two injuries, and without those injuries my strength level would have been by now similar to slightly above at same bodyweight, working out consistently less than 5 years. So no, I’m not a wussy. [/quote]

I seriously doubt it. For one thing, I’ve had injuries too…part of becoming strong is learning how to recover and push past those injuries. And for another thing, my squat best competition squat is a state record and was nationally ranked in the USAPL …2 or 3rd for the nation in Junior age class and I think it was 6th for the nation in the open class, as well as being pretty far up the list in Powerlifting USA’s top 100 which includes all lifters in all federations…my other meet lifts and total were also ranked fairly well in the Junior class. I’m still pretty far from being the strongest 181 lifter, but I think it’s pretty ridiculous for you to assume that you would lifting “slightly more” than me. If you haven’t done it, then don’
t assume it. If you think you can then do it (in a meet, according to rules and standards) and I will be the first one to congratulate you.

[quote] Tell me how a shirt is different than rack lock-outs with chains?
Or a suit is different than heavy quarter squats?
These are honest questions. [/quote]

This question just proves that you have no idea about what you’re talking about. A good bench shirt fundamentally changes the technique of the lift, it’s not the same as board presses or accomadting resistance. The weight is the same all the way through the lift, with chains the weight increases as you press, this alone is a difference that’s easy to see. As for quarter squats I wouldn’t know, I don’t do quarter squats because when I lift in a meet I have to break parallel, in my opinon quarter squats have no translation to this. I’ll give you one difference though, the straps on my squat suit are pretty tight, when I walk out of the rack with 600+ lbs on my back I can barely breathe because the straps pull my chest down inhibiting my ability to get a deep breath,this is in addition to the 600+ lbs which makes it incredibly difficult to breathe. If i only had to quarter squat it i would have no problem, but going down to below parallel can be a scary experience as i have blacked out numerous times while returning to the top of the lift…Thank god for good spotters and training partners.

[quote]This is one of my points: people can be “taught” to needlessly divert themselves, to dissipate their energies.
Are the shirts and suits doing that? [/quote]

Dissipating energy? What are you talking about? Lifting more weight with gear than you can raw means you have to focus your energy even more on the lift.

I didn’t see anybody asking for forgiveness in this thread. I’m proud of all my lifts…raw and equipped. So thanks, but no thanks.

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
ok i’m sick of all this talk about gear. you still need to bust your ass and lift in a certain manner to bring up your weak points in the gear. ok i’m done with that but anyways I am amazingly strong in the top half of my squat but have a lot of trouble in the lower half so i know the inzer hybrid would hlep me even more than the average powerlifter. my question is big martin have you ever used denim briefs under your hybrid? I know it would be extremely hard to do but im playing around with trying to used DOUBLE denim briefs with the hybrid. you probably wouldn’t advise this but i am alaways experimenting on how to get stronger. what do u think?[/quote]

Never used denim breifs…so i really have no idea how they would perform…the best performing breif i have used by far is the metal pro…but there so thick that it makes very tuff to control them under a suit a strong as the inzer hybrid…the best non-overpowering yet best thin performing breif is the in power pant -“made with hardcore material”…not the normal powerpant inzer sells…these are powerpants with the hardcore material there a extra 50$…but the denim ones i have no idea…personally i dont like double denim bench shirts (becuase they slow me down way to much in the ecentric) so i have concluded denim squat gear would probally be very similar in that regard…rb

From what i have heard about denim squat suits and briefs the rebound or pop out of the whole is unparalleled so i thought matching it up with the leviathan would be a match made in heaven. The only problem is the people at Karin’s tell me that double denim briefs are overkill. I’d still like to try it though.

anyways Limbic I’d really like to hear those raw numbers of your’s. I’ll pst mine up here cuz I am proud of them. I’m 18 years old, I’ve been lifting a couple years but powerlifting only about 6 months here are my stats.
Bench: 455
Squat:500
Deadlift: 605

All these at about 240 lb. bodyweight. Limbic quit your bitchin and just lift. I let my lifting do the talking and I will get the best gear and in my powerlifting career I will break a lot of records and become elite sooner than later. I’m sure your aspirations are quite lower lol.

Do be perfectly honest, I was skeptical of your raw numbers, Peyton, until I figured out you are.

I was sitting here thinking that a 515 raw translated comfortably to a 6+ competition squat. Looks like I was right.

#6 ranked squat in the Open class just behind Ricks, and #2 in the Juniors second to McLaughlin who blew my mind at Mens Nats this year. #12 in the total for Juniors. Good company to be in.

Great lifting, dude.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Do be perfectly honest, I was skeptical of your raw numbers, Peyton, until I figured out you are. [/qoute]

No problem, man. I’m always skeptical of internet numbers too. But, I can just tell people to look at the rankings online and it’s fairly obvious …lol. And I wasn’t posting my numbers just to brag, but this Limbic character is starting to bother me.

I’d love to see McLaughlin lift, he’s crazy strong for his age, blows my mind how much stronger he’s gotten in the past few years…maybe the next Bridges? The only one of his lifts I think I could even touch anytime soon would be his squat…I’m fairly sure I could put up close to 700 now.As far as his bench and deadlift go he’s waaaaaaayyyyyyyy outta my league for a while. Did you compete at Nats?

Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully someday I’ll beable to hang with guys like Mclaughlin and Ricks. Lofty expectations, but you never know. Good luck in your lifting.

The Pain Clinic has a complete line of Frantz gear.

[quote]NYMK wrote:
The Pain Clinic has a complete line of Frantz gear.

[/quote]

Why.