T Nation

Frankl Benches 870 @ 220

I can’t believe how clean a lift it was. That is just ungodly.

WOW!! I have nothing else to say, just WOW!!!

That was awesome!

Holy crap.

Another 10lbs and thats a 4x BW bench.

It’s amazing how clean that is for such a crazy weight, almost looks like he is handling a empty bar.

Don’t think he locked out…in fact he never had it at arms length himself (soft handout)… which is a comment on the situation rather than the lifter.

Having said all that he is a phenomonal bencher! He seems way ahead of his peers and dose what he needs to do, cleaner than most, with great control!

It looks like he’ll be the lightest ever to bench 900 the way he’s going!

Thanks for posting this. That is insane. I bet he will do 900 pretty soon he looked like he could have lifted more.

What shirt does he use? Anyone know?

[quote]IainK wrote:
Don’t think he locked out…in fact he never had it at arms length himself (soft handout)… which is a comment on the situation rather than the lifter.

Having said all that he is a phenomonal bencher! He seems way ahead of his peers and dose what he needs to do, cleaner than most, with great control!

It looks like he’ll be the lightest ever to bench 900 the way he’s going![/quote]

hmmm I gotta disagree… I woulda said the “soft” hand off was the bar just sinking in. Watch his arm angle, it doesn’t really move. When ya take a hand off down over your sternum/belly the bar tends to sink in a bit as your lats find a good position.

I do something similar, tho not to the same extent. Watch for 1.04 http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=vioN91uszPY you should see the bar “sink” after the hand off. If I started lowering the bar immediately it would probably look like a soft hand off too.

I woulda said it was locked out too… I don’t expect him to snap his elbows locked with that much weight. There’s way too much of a chance of injury. I don’t even feel comfortable doing it with half that weight.

EDIT: Pretty sure the shirt’s a Super Duper Phenomn.

That’s letting the bar sink in?

Lockout looked good, the hand off not so much.

Hanley thats some nice lifting big man!

Why not just have a start command and that would be the end of that. The ref would then be able to get the guys to start fully locked out or there’s no start command.

As for lockout out. To my mind locked out is locked out elbows and not just straight arms. All this ‘chance of injury’ is a naff excuse, and pretty irrelevant. He can either lockout the weight or not!

You carn’t bend the rules to avoid being injured or because its a mssive load. ‘Full extension of the arms’ is the rule (at least that’s IPF so I guess it may be different for his fed?). .

We are talking inches, but give an inch…

For me a summary of this lift would be;

Weight- awesome
Style- less impressive
Lifter- very impressive.

Definitely a soft handoff, though not nearly as bad as some I’ve seen. Lockout looked fairly clean.

Great lifts by both Frankl and the TS. Wish I could leave work and hit the gym right now…

Awesome lift! Definitely could have gotten more

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Definitely a soft handoff, though not nearly as bad as some I’ve seen. Lockout looked fairly clean.[/quote]

Are soft handoffs aloud in the Fed he was competing? I ask because if they are, then it’s not a question of if there was one or not. If you’re allowed to use it, why wouldn’t you?

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
Definitely a soft handoff, though not nearly as bad as some I’ve seen. Lockout looked fairly clean.

Are soft handoffs aloud in the Fed he was competing? I ask because if they are, then it’s not a question of if there was one or not. If you’re allowed to use it, why wouldn’t you?[/quote]

I think it was an APF meet. And no, their official rules do not allow for a soft liftoff. The bar was halfway down before the middle spotter even got out of the way.

Someone else said it though: requiring a start command from the head judge would clear that up.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

Are soft handoffs aloud in the Fed he was competing? I ask because if they are, then it’s not a question of if there was one or not. If you’re allowed to use it, why wouldn’t you?

I think it was an APF meet. And no, their official rules do not allow for a soft liftoff. The bar was halfway down before the middle spotter even got out of the way.

Someone else said it though: requiring a start command from the head judge would clear that up.[/quote]

Thanks.

I was wondering because there was an interview on powerliftingwatch with the head of the USPF (I think?) which is starting a new multi-ply division and he indicated soft hand-offs would be allowed. I was just wondering if a similar rule applied here.

Completely agree that a start command should be used if you don’t want soft hand offs.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

Someone else said it though: requiring a start command from the head judge would clear that up.

Thanks.

I was wondering because there was an interview on powerliftingwatch with the head of the USPF (I think?) which is starting a new multi-ply division and he indicated soft hand-offs would be allowed. I was just wondering if a similar rule applied here.

Completely agree that a start command should be used if you don’t want soft hand offs.[/quote]

The USPF picked up affiliation to the GPC, an already established international multi ply fed, so to that end they’ll be bound by their rules in international competitions. I saw a piece about it on PLwatch, but I’ve yet to read about how they’re going to be implementing the rules. From what I do know about the GPC tho, internationally they’re stricter than the likes of the APF. You’re not even allowed open back shirts afaik.

I’m going to start referring to him as Mini Kennelly.