Frank Mirs Weight Training

[quote]xxxwtfxxx wrote:
Explosive Power
Rarely is an athlete required to produce a singular maximal effort in their sport. With the exception of powerlifting, most sports require movements that are much more rapid and demand a higher power output than is generated during maximal lifts (5,6). So while maximal strength training lays an important foundation increasing the potential for additional power development, if there is no conversion of this strength into sport-specific power, the program as a whole is much less effective.

An athlete can be exceptionally strong but lack substantial power due to an inability to contract muscle quickly. Power training is used to improve the rate of force production and a range of methods such as plyometrics can be employed to convert maximal strength into explosive power.

^^^ real meaning

[/quote]

Is this from Webster or Urbandictionary.com?

Somebody is running away from their own argument.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Somebody is running away from their own argument. [/quote]

what do you mean by that?

as a football player i would like to let u know ur an idiot…thats all

[quote]cutthoat25 wrote:
as a football player i would like to let u know ur an idiot…thats all[/quote]

QFT

[quote]xxxwtfxxx wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
Somebody is running away from their own argument.

what do you mean by that?[/quote]

Ahh…you’re just 16 yrs old…figures.

[quote]xxxwtfxxx wrote:
B.L.U. Ninja wrote:
xxxwtfxxx wrote:
Explosive Power
Rarely is an athlete required to produce a singular maximal effort in their sport. With the exception of powerlifting, most sports require movements that are much more rapid and demand a higher power output than is generated during maximal lifts (5,6). So while maximal strength training lays an important foundation increasing the potential for additional power development, if there is no conversion of this strength into sport-specific power, the program as a whole is much less effective.

An athlete can be exceptionally strong but lack substantial power due to an inability to contract muscle quickly. Power training is used to improve the rate of force production and a range of methods such as plyometrics can be employed to convert maximal strength into explosive power.

^^^ real meaning

Is this from Webster or Urbandictionary.com?

from your mothers basement most likely…[/quote]

LMAO. I think I used that comeback in grade school.

I lurk here a lot. This is my first post, had to log on to say: Read the sticky ‘How to Train’ Questions. Especially Xen Nova’s stuff on page four.

TYPE2 is that you?

I guess the brotards are still here after all.

kmc

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
Having trained using exclusively BB workouts, lifts, rep/set schemes I can say from experience that it was pretty much useless. Except for the occasional strength or weight advantage; very occasional. Really all it did was add a bunch of extra muscle that was doing me little to no good because it wasn’t helping condition my body, or improve on an specific fighting movement. Minus front squats.

I mean how often are you going to press someone when you’re standing up? Never… On the ground? Maybe once, then you get arm-bared and never do it again. I think mixing a few key power lifting lifts, probably a few Olympic lifts, and most likely a decent amount of strong man work, could be a workable routine. But really I think there are better alternatives.

*I’m with Irish [/quote]

It somewhat depends on the individual’s strengths and weaknesses, what attributes they need to enhanced and the desired effect though.

If we’re talking about someone trying to stay within a weight class, then I’d agree, there are better methods than performing a routine designed to make you heavier. BB’ing routines are also far from ideal when it comes to conditioning purposes and depending on the routine can really cut into your recovery abilities.

But, just to play devil’s advocate for a minute… I’ve actually seen great results/carry over from doing only BB’ing type routines. Let me explain.

When I was training seriously I was 50 lbs+ lighter, usually the smallest person in my class (for the first 6 months I was the smallest by far), and as a result I had to be very technical if I didn’t want to get tooled on by the bigger guys. But, they still always had the size/strength advantage on me and when you get two equally skilled opponents, the one with the size/strength advantage usually wins. I was definitely in much better shape then, than I am now as well.

Fast forward some recent (just for fun) rolling sessions with some of my old training partners/friends who still train regularly. After 3+ years of not training regularly I’m able to hit things on them that I could not before. Their strength is no longer an issue. I’m pretty much matching them stride for stride, sometimes even getting the better of them (I suspect I would do even better if my timing wasn’t so off on account of not training). That is of course until I gas out. :slight_smile: I am so freaking out of shape LOL.

But while my stamina lasts I’m keeping up with people who have been training regularly the whole time that I’ve been away (and were at or above my level when I stopped). All of this from only doing BB’ing type routines, getting a heck of a lot stronger and heavier (more muscular) as a result, and probably partly due to the fact that although I haven’t been training in a lot time I still continue to watch instructional vids to pick up new ideas/techniques and I happen to be an exceptional visual learner.

But still, I was pleasantly surprised by my performance(s). I’m convinced that (in my case anyhow) the bigger and stronger I get, the more I’m able to express my athleticism (at least on the mat). And I’ve gotta say that BB’ing routines (or maybe more appropriately “powerbuilding” routines) have done a great job of helping me do this.

If I was going to start training seriously again though, I would probably have to change routines due to recovery issues, and conditioning needs.

So, again, it depends on the individual’s specific strengths and weaknesses in my experience.

Fuzzyapple, if thats directed at me then no I aint TYPE2.

let me just paraphrase his argument:

lbAJBdvkljabksdka bkslbak vb jkalbvk aksvjdb kasjb kas bklvabl sj kljabsgk b aklsjhal; kja hglkajhdsgoapewrvinoeq;nvano nz;ovskn; ioN V:OEn;opin ufhiulwn vlakje

does that make as much sense?

Cycobush
you are the meng.

kmc

I just never should have posted anything on a thread that was labeled “Frank Mirs Weight Training”. Epic fail, on my behalf.

I’m not sure if this thread was doa but I just wanted to mention the names Mark Henry and Shane Hamman. Powerlifters who became olympic, as in the olympics, weightlifters.

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
let me just paraphrase his argument:

lbAJBdvkljabksdka bkslbak vb jkalbvk aksvjdb kasjb kas bklvabl sj kljabsgk b aklsjhal; kja hglkajhdsgoapewrvinoeq;nvano nz;ovskn; ioN V:OEn;opin ufhiulwn vlakje
[/quote]

There be no commas here!

[quote]John S. wrote:
xxxwtfxxx wrote:

ok buddy =) good for you.do powerlifting and teach your muscles to work slow because thats what happends when you train whith extremly heavy weights your forced to do it slow and not explosive like you would if you were doing 8reps

Let me just stop you right there, NO.

When moving heavy weight you try and press/pull that bar as fast as you can. It may seem slow because there is a shit ton of weight on the bar but when I put a sub max load on and like I always do apply max force you should see how fast that bar goes up.[/quote]

Yep. Try lifting singles and doubles ‘slow’. LOL! Better be in a power cage…and wearing ear plugs because of the crash.

ok you can think what ever you want the epic fail here isent the one trying to explain something its the ones who come in here and have no argument at all to prove what iam saying is wrong and just say. “omg stop telling me the truth it hurts wahhh waaah waaah your 16 and you cant know anything waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah”

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
John S. wrote:
xxxwtfxxx wrote:

ok buddy =) good for you.do powerlifting and teach your muscles to work slow because thats what happends when you train whith extremly heavy weights your forced to do it slow and not explosive like you would if you were doing 8reps

Let me just stop you right there, NO.

When moving heavy weight you try and press/pull that bar as fast as you can. It may seem slow because there is a shit ton of weight on the bar but when I put a sub max load on and like I always do apply max force you should see how fast that bar goes up.

Yep. Try lifting singles and doubles ‘slow’. LOL! Better be in a power cage…and wearing ear plugs because of the crash.
[/quote]

no one says lift at a snails pace on purpuose the heavy weigth makes you move it slow no matter what you think no one lifts slowly just cuz they decided to.

Myth 5: A slow rep speed is just as effective as a faster one.

Had to include this one, although itâ??s not as prevalent as the others. Itâ??s mainly perpetuated by lifters and writers from the high intensity school of thought. Those same people are quick to point out the importance of specificity in training except where it applies to rep speed. Some of them even take it to the extreme, recommending super slow reps that exceed five seconds.

Keep this in mind: Training slowly will make you slow. If you want to be really powerful not just strong you need to incorporate some type of speed training into your program. For instance, if you always train with really low reps, then your rep speed will of necessity be slow. If you do that consistently over several weeks, then youll be teaching your muscle to move the weight slowly, and as a result youll get weaker. You need speed work.

As a side note, when you perform speed work, try to keep your repetitions to no more than five. More than that, and you start to slow down, as your reps just dont have the power that the first ones had.

found an article on critical bench to soppurt what im saying.

where the FUCK is your prof that what i am saying is completly idiotic and cant never be true?