T Nation

Frank McGrath Training Delts

New on MD, Frank McGrath hitting shoulders at Gold’s gym. Love to see a fellow Newfoundlander getting some attention! His forearms are unreal.

I used to train at the same LA Fitness as him in Ontario. He lives in my area. Never talked to the guy but he pretty much dwarfed everyone at the gym.

Someday, I would like to have pumps like that.

He gets a lot of attention from AnimalPak, and if you browse youtube you can find a series of videos where he trains almost every bodypart.

Eg:

part 1 of shoulders, you can find the rest in the “related videos” or by searching.

The chest series, and the arm series, and the back series are all worth a watch.

Mcgrath’s physique seems to be a very balanced combination between freaky mass and aesthetic shape. I like him a lot, in fact I think all the guys at Animal are very quality bodybuilders.

does he train his forearms directly? would be cool if he did some captains of crush stuff…or plate pinches n stuff.

Yeah the Animal videos are great. I’ve watched them dozens of times to get amped up to train. Dude is a beast.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
does he train his forearms directly? would be cool if he did some captains of crush stuff…or plate pinches n stuff.[/quote]

He trains his forearms with wrist curls.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
rasturai wrote:
does he train his forearms directly? would be cool if he did some captains of crush stuff…or plate pinches n stuff.

He trains his forearms with wrist curls.[/quote]

Haha, owned.

(I don’t mean that in a negative way, of course)

was hoping for more of an extreme maritime accent, little bit dissapointed there

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
mr popular wrote:
rasturai wrote:

Haha, owned.

This is something I want to discuss actually. I mean a lot of people seem to bash wrist curls, but i always thought that if you do them moderately heavy, with a very exaggerated stretch (and do them kind of like a widowmaker) and with progression, shouldn’t they be a pretty good exercise for your forearms?

[/quote]

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
mr popular wrote:
rasturai wrote:

Haha, owned.

This is something I want to discuss actually. I mean a lot of people seem to bash wrist curls, but i always thought that if you do them moderately heavy, with a very exaggerated stretch (and do them kind of like a widowmaker) and with progression, shouldn’t they be a pretty good exercise for your forearms?[/quote]

It would be a bit hard to progress on a movement like that doing heavy reps (5 or less) because the muscle is so small (relatively), I think it’d be more beneficial to do higher reps (10-20).

If someone who does them often would chime in, that would be helpful :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Der Candy wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
mr popular wrote:
rasturai wrote:

Haha, owned.

This is something I want to discuss actually. I mean a lot of people seem to bash wrist curls, but i always thought that if you do them moderately heavy, with a very exaggerated stretch (and do them kind of like a widowmaker) and with progression, shouldn’t they be a pretty good exercise for your forearms?

It would be a bit hard to progress on a movement like that doing heavy reps (5 or less) because the muscle is so small (relatively), I think it’d be more beneficial to do higher reps (10-20).

If someone who does them often would chime in, that would be helpful :p[/quote]

oh yeah definately. I think low reps on that kind of a movement is just asking for injury. but i mean, if you ramped up to one set of as you put it 10-12 reps, done very controlled with a deep stretch and a several second pause in the stretched position after each rep. and then made an effort to add 5lb or so when you hit the 20 reps.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Der Candy wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
mr popular wrote:
rasturai wrote:

Haha, owned.

If someone who does them often would chime in, that would be helpful :p[/quote]

I only do them occasionally, but you can make progress with them in the 15-20 rep range just like you can any other muscle group.

I should probably make it a regular thing, but I just run into problems as far as where to put them in my routine… especially because I could work them two or three times a week.