Frank Frazetta Dies

RIP :frowning:
By far my favorite artist. I’ve got a piece of his tattooed (not complete) on my arm. I plan on getting more of his work done on me. That picture Waylander threw up in one of my favorites!

Sad news. I am a huge fan of his work. I’ve been wanting to do a photography series inspired by his style, but I just haven’t gotten around to it. I think I’ll move that project to the front burner now.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
Is this the guy that did all the Molly Hatchett album covers?

I like the style he uses to draw, kinda smudgy but still lots of detail. [/quote]

Yes, he did their covers.

Smudgy?? Well, there’s a rawness to his style which is in context with the subject matter. Compare him to Boris Vallejo who paints very cleanly and meticulously… yet without the same power that Frazetta’s brush released!

Frazetta > Vallejo[/quote]

I used to have a couple of hard-cover collections of Boris Vallejo and Frank Frazetta, got them from an old closet in a house we moved into in my wee years.

Frazetta’s style jumped off the page, even his more laconic pieces seemed soaked in power. Vallejo’s pieces had too much . . . perfection, I guess. Too removed from natural disorder.

RIP. That’s sad to hear.

He was the greatest fantasy artist of all time.

His Conan is iconic and definitive and he could paint sensual women like no one else.

[quote]Vash wrote:
Frazetta’s style jumped off the page, even his more laconic pieces seemed soaked in power. Vallejo’s pieces had too much . . . perfection, I guess. Too removed from natural disorder.[/quote]

Well said, Vash.

Brings me back to the days of D&D and dragon magazine…rest well

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Truly a giant in his field.

S

I liked his work and I remember the movie “Fire and Ice.”

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

I liked his work and I remember the movie “Fire and Ice.”

[/quote]

Amazing movie. Gave it to a friend.

I remember this guy’s art ever since I was a kid. You could recognize his style anywhere. I never knew his name until now. Very powerful stuff. RIP…

Just a bump to link to this Time gallery:

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1990416,00.html