T Nation

France Trying for a Makeover?

Heading up 2 recent military interventions, banning the burkha, is France trying to reform its image from surrender monkeys to international tough guy?

One thing I learned when I was in Paris 2 years ago, they are nasty when they get mean.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
One thing I learned when I was in Paris 2 years ago, they are nasty when they get mean. [/quote]

lol that’s for sure. A lot of the time they are much more hospitable than people let on, but good god can they be assholes.

The Burkha ban makes sense to me. I also like their no tolerance policy. Either abide by the rules or GTFO.

Their empire was an incredibly brutal one - just look at the torture enacted in Algeria (learning tricks from the Gestapo). The French still maintain a military presence in West Africa that the British by comparison, do not.

The Burkha ban is because Sarkozy has lost ground to the national front. Also a great deal of oil from Libya goes to France. Geopolitics at its finest

[quote]Bambi wrote:
Their empire was an incredibly brutal one - just look at the torture enacted in Algeria (learning tricks from the Gestapo). The French still maintain a military presence in West Africa that the British by comparison, do not.

The Burkha ban is because Sarkozy has lost ground to the national front. Also a great deal of oil from Libya goes to France. Geopolitics at its finest[/quote]

Good points. French history is full of brutality and bloodshed (as is the history of every nation).

The headlines coming out of France in recent weeks do seem to mark a shift away from French geopolitics of the last decade though (or at least their professed ideology with regard to such).

France and Italy Will Also Send Advisers to Libya Rebels

I don’t care who you are, that’s funny right there.