T Nation

France: No Voluntary Paternity Tests

http://www.ibdna.com/regions/UK/EN/?page=paternity-testing-ban-upheld-in-france

It would ruin so many things in the US if we followed along, including those amazing Maury’s when they trot out 5 or 6 different candidates.

I can see where some of the Euro misogyny comes from if this is really public policy that is considered acceptable in some countries.

[quote]groo wrote:
http://www.ibdna.com/regions/UK/EN/?page=paternity-testing-ban-upheld-in-france

It would ruin so many things in the US if we followed along, including those amazing Maury’s when they trot out 5 or 6 different candidates.

I can see where some of the Euro misogyny comes from if this is really public policy that is considered acceptable in some countries.
[/quote]
I could see possibly banning the tests for children born to married couples if there was some question regarding reliability. But otherwise, I tend to think acceptance of fatherhood of a non-biological child should involve informed consent on the part of the non-biological father. In the short run, purported fathers finding out their purported children who came out of their wives are not theirs is likely to have some adverse effects on some children. But I think in the long run: children in general will be better off if parental responsibility is assigned appropriately; and men are not discouraged from working hard to provide, by thinking they are getting bullshitted to death.

Put it another way: if society crumbles and we end up with the majority of people living in cardboard shacks and wallowing in shit, that will hurt a lot more children than letting married men find out the truth through paternity tests.

This is insane.

Your wife cheats on you and has a child with another man and it is ILLEGAL for you to try and prove this ?

I suppose though it also applies to situations where the man goes out and has a bastard child. The mistress would have no way of proving who it was…

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
This is insane.

Your wife cheats on you and has a child with another man and it is ILLEGAL for you to try and prove this ?

I suppose though it also applies to situations where the man goes out and has a bastard child. The mistress would have no way of proving who it was…[/quote]
You are a freaking optimist and I like the cut of your jib. I hadn’t even thought about how much better it would be to remain unmarried in France and fuck a bunch of married guys wives. Never be on the hook for child support.

In the short run, purported fathers finding out their purported children who came out of their wives are not theirs is likely to have some adverse effects on some children.
[/quote]

I think in the not so short eun that might have adverse effects on some man too.

It doesn’t mean that paternity is untested and untestable in France.
It means that judges have to be involved in the process.

The French State doesn’t say : “you should not know”
it says: “if you want to know, we want to know too”.

It’s not about paternity and family per se. It’s about control.