France is at War

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

I need to look up “The Legion” but feel free to share some info here if you have the time.
[/quote]

Bad dudes. In the good way. Also some of them in the bad way: the FFL has always had a reputation as a haven for guys fleeing criminal pasts. Enlistees normally assume a “declared identity” upon arrival.[/quote]

Thanks.

I did a quick research and apparently even they are running background checks ( since 2008 ).

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
A:

It’s the French Foreign Legion…(some will shorten it to “The Legion”)…

They are “the” French Special Forces…and often are the first in and the last out.

Even until this day, they are composed of men from all over the World…and still have this reputation of being a bunch of badass criminals, misfits and outcast…but they are as Professional as they come.

Here is the WIKI page as a start:

Mufasa
[/quote]

Thank you…it sure is interesting.
I will try to find out if they are paid privately, or how this works: I say this because I am curious as to why one would not enlist for a special forces unit like SEALS in one’s own country. And how these men differ psychologically.
What is in it for them to chose the Legion over other military options and specially since they are being sent to basically do the job of “the cleaner”.

With the picture you posted I was reminded of the movie The Expendables.
Jean Claude Van Dame played an outstanding role as a villain - I never did like him as a hero.

[quote]JEATON wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]JEATON wrote:
Looks a bit like a FN P90, but not quite. Maybe a FN 2000?[/quote]

Looks like a FAMAS Infanterie.[/quote]

Thank you.
Interesting piece. [/quote]

It makes the AR-15 look like an toy gun.

I wonder how many items over it would qualify as an assault weapon as per item listed on our proposed ban list.

This is in London.

Would you allow this to take place here in America?

She is clearly issuing a threat! Unbelievable.

There are many many radicals like her in London, breeding an army.

This used to concern me when I lived there.
How the British government allowed so many of them in.
It made me think they would take over London from within.

http://www.gg2.net/news/uk-news/Islamists+protest+in+London+against+French+Mali+role/4043

[quote]Alpha F wrote:
This is in London.

[/quote]
The irony is that anywhere in the world that forced her to dress like that wouldn’t give her the right to express free speech. Her sign should have read: French Army You Will Pay: Look What The Muslims Did To Me (and I’m one of them).

[quote]Alpha F wrote:
Well, what else aside from natural gas is there for “us”?[/quote]

Northern Mali is an Al Queda strong point. Or becoming one in any case.

james

lol @ the photo

Abu Hamza was allowed to preach hatred outside the streets of Finsbury Park Mosque for years with police standing nearby, WHY? Have you ever tried to think why?

[quote]Alpha F wrote:
This is in London.

She is clearly issuing a threat! Unbelievable.

There are many many radicals like her in London, breeding an army.

This used to concern me when I lived there.
How the British government allowed so many of them in.
It made me think they would take over London from within.

http://www.gg2.net/news/uk-news/Islamists+protest+in+London+against+French+Mali+role/4043[/quote]

[quote]Alpha F wrote:
Thank you…it sure is interesting.
I will try to find out if they are paid privately, or how this works: I say this because I am curious as to why one would not enlist for a special forces unit like SEALS in one’s own country. And how these men differ psychologically.
What is in it for them to chose the Legion over other military options and specially since they are being sent to basically do the job of “the cleaner”.

With the picture you posted I was reminded of the movie The Expendables.
Jean Claude Van Dame played an outstanding role as a villain - I never did like him as a hero.
[/quote]

They pay for shit. People join the Legion to get away or for the challenge. They will give you a new identity if you want one too. There’s also not the chance that you enlist and go into the regular French Army instead of the Legion. It’s reversed in every other country. You first enlist then try out for the “special” units.

Shorts in garrison would kick ass considering how hot it gets in that part of Africa.

Don’t forget that the French have a long, long history in western Africa.

james

They’re economy is also fucked.

85% tax rate. Good luck with that

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
A:

It’s the French Foreign Legion…(some will shorten it to “The Legion”)…

They are “the” French Special Forces…and often are the first in and the last out.

Even until this day, they are composed of men from all over the World…and still have this reputation of being a bunch of badass criminals, misfits and outcast…but they are as Professional as they come.

Here is the WIKI page as a start:

Mufasa
[/quote]

“THE” French Special Forces? I’m going to disagree with you there. Great history, steeped in tradition, highly disciplined, tough bastards? Check,check,check and check. No dispute. Twice in my career have I worked with/near one of their units- impressive, and regarded differently–not favorably-- by the rest of the French Army (only my observation)…

In any case they are not organzed under the COS, of which several other units are (BFST, GIGN, FKSOD). And even the French do not consider them ‘Special Forces’, though some units within the FFL receive specialized training.

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

I need to look up “The Legion” but feel free to share some info here if you have the time.
[/quote]

Bad dudes. In the good way. Also some of them in the bad way: the FFL has always had a reputation as a haven for guys fleeing criminal pasts. Enlistees normally assume a “declared identity” upon arrival.[/quote]

Thanks.

I did a quick research and apparently even they are running background checks ( since 2008 ).[/quote]

True, though it is still said that a serious crime or two doesn’t pose too much of a problem for those willing to give up their name.

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

[/quote]

Absolutely. And it would, as well. Vague threats like this–mere advocacy of violence at an unspecific time and place–are protected by the First Amendment.

It’s the fact that this kind of thing is allowed that makes the West better than Iran or Saudi Arabia.

DirtyM:

Thanks for the insights!

So…tough, disciplined guys…often “cleaners”…often “first in/last out”…SOME with specialized training (I THINK they all have to be Airborne, if I’m not mistaken?)…but not really “Special Forces”?

Makes sense…they sound more and more like “The Dirty Dozen” or “Inglorious Bastards”!

Again…thanks for the insights into The Legion. If you get the time, you should read about those guys at “Dien Bien Phu” in Vietnam.

Mufasa

I hate to go all liberal on this post , but I listened to an hour segment on NPR on this war while working out and all I heard was natural gas and oil natural gas and oil and on and on and on .

The predictions were that this present crisis is the new norm for NW Africa.

Maybe we should not subsidize oil and subsidize home grown energy. There is no way to calculate the cost of military intervention of acquiring oil.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
DirtyM:

Thanks for the insights!

So…tough, disciplined guys…often “cleaners”…often “first in/last out”…SOME with specialized training (I THINK they all have to be Airborne, if I’m not mistaken?)…but not really “Special Forces”?

Makes sense…they sound more and more like “The Dirty Dozen” or “Inglorious Bastards”!

Again…thanks for the insights into The Legion. If you get the time, you should read about those guys at “Dien Bien Phu” in Vietnam.

Mufasa[/quote]

Mufasa-

From what I am tracking only the 2e REP (2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment) is airborne out of the nine Regiments in the FFL. The 2e REP is a part of the 11th Parachute Brigade- which is their Rapid Reaction Force.

Dont think that the FFL all fights or deploys as one cohesive unit; their Regiments are parceled out amongst the French Army or deployed outside of France. I wouldn’t call them ‘cleaners/dirty dozen’ type guys. historically the French USED to view them as expendable- sending troops without really committing ‘France’, per se. Not true anymore; these guys are not mercenaries.

They’re now akin to the Gurkhas in the British Army; highly professional warriors whose presence sends a message to potential enemies…