T Nation

France is at War

These pictures speak a thousand words…

Looks a bit like a FN P90, but not quite. Maybe a FN 2000?

US confirms Americans taken after Algeria attack

"Nuland said that Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton spoke Wednesday by telephone with Algerian Prime Minister Abdelmalek Sellal.

She also said the U.S. Embassy in Algiers issued an emergency message to American citizens encouraging them to review their personal safety."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_US_ALGERIA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-01-16-15-17-01

The female self-defense militia.

http://www.voanews.com/content/northern-mali-militias-train-youth-to-fight-tuareg/1523162.html

It sounds like a no win situation , an area about the size of Texas .

Well, what else aside from natural gas is there for “us”?

Here is the French “militia”:

War is a serious business…the size of that airplane where they were unloading the tanks was magnificent.

[quote]JEATON wrote:
Looks a bit like a FN P90, but not quite. Maybe a FN 2000?[/quote]

Looks like a FAMAS Infanterie.

Panetta has hinted at military action.

This doesn’t look good for the hostages–Jihadists aren’t pirates, what could they want with hostages that doesn’t end in beheadings?

[quote]smh23 wrote:

This doesn’t look good for the hostages–Jihadists aren’t pirates, what could they want with hostages that doesn’t end in beheadings?[/quote]

I think worst case scenario is actually torturing them ( cutting limbs off, ears, etc ) bit by bit and showing pictures to the West.

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

War is a serious business…the size of that airplane where they were unloading the tanks was magnificent.[/quote]

This is a serious situation, and I hope it goes well for the West, but those French guys in their short-shorts was so funny to me

yep nasty situation, only saving grace is that they have the area surrounded. Hopefully if they send in SEALS or the like some will get out alive

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

War is a serious business…the size of that airplane where they were unloading the tanks was magnificent.[/quote]

Okay…I’ll get this out of the way, then get serious…

The French are NOT helping the reputation of their Army by dressing some of their soldiers up like they are part of a Gay Dance Troupe.

The Legion

Lethal…and still some of the best in the World…as we speak, I’m sure The Legion are doing a lot of the “dirty work”.

Mufasa

[quote]doogie wrote:

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

This is a serious situation, and I hope it goes well for the West, but those French guys in their short-shorts was so funny to me[/quote]

Don’t worry, the same crossed my mind.

Well, at least this time it isn’t just team America sacrificing their men.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Okay…I’ll get this out of the way, then get serious…

The French are NOT helping the reputation of their Army by dressing some of their soldiers up like they are part of a Gay Dance Troupe. [/quote]

:smiley:

I agree completely.

We can sure keep some humor as a touch of levity…it has not gotten guts and gore yet. [quote]

The Legion

Lethal…and still some of the best in the World…as we speak, I’m sure The Legion are doing a lot of the “dirty work”.

[/quote]

I need to look up “The Legion” but feel free to share some info here if you have the time.

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

I need to look up “The Legion” but feel free to share some info here if you have the time.
[/quote]

Bad dudes. In the good way. Also some of them in the bad way: the FFL has always had a reputation as a haven for guys fleeing criminal pasts. Enlistees normally assume a “declared identity” upon arrival.

A:

It’s the French Foreign Legion…(some will shorten it to “The Legion”)…

They are “the” French Special Forces…and often are the first in and the last out.

Even until this day, they are composed of men from all over the World…and still have this reputation of being a bunch of badass criminals, misfits and outcast…but they are as Professional as they come.

Here is the WIKI page as a start:

Mufasa

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]JEATON wrote:
Looks a bit like a FN P90, but not quite. Maybe a FN 2000?[/quote]

Looks like a FAMAS Infanterie.[/quote]

Thank you.
Interesting piece.

While they first came to the American consciousness in movies depicting their exploits mostly in Africa in the 19th Century…they solidified their reputation at “Dien Bien Phu” in Vietnam.

Although there was blunder after blunder by the French at Dien Bien Phu…“The Legion” were said to have fought and held positions literally “to the last man”.

They have been at the spearhead of subsequent engagements around the World since (French and otherwise). I would think that this would be the case now.

Mufasa

Before it gets too serious…

I would like to point out I did not fail to spot this military Vehicle:

And I wish they did a civilian version of this.
Much better than the Hummer.

It even has a propeller!
I do like amphibian type vehicles.