Fox News and Prince Al Waleed bin Talal

[quote]BPCorso wrote:

[quote]Severiano wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
One of the things that will be interesting to follow is the “direction” FOX News takes once the President is out of office.

There is no question that the President has been an easy (and lucrative) target on which to focus much of their programming. What happens when he is gone should prove one way or the other their strength (or weakness) as a viable news source.

Mufasa[/quote]

I’m interested in how carefully Fox manages to avoid saying negative things about Saudi Arabia. It’s kinda strange, imo they like to stir up fear of the unknown about Islam, then they have this completely different opinion when it came to things like G.W. and the King of Arabia kissing one another on the mouth and holding hands. It’s just kinda strange being Saudi Arabia is where both Mecca and Medina are, and basically the home of Islam. It’s not like the people involved in the Saudi family haven’t had their dabblings in terror funding either.

I always find them interesting. Especially Bill and his Harvard mouthed bullshit, habits of cutting people off mid sentence and then claiming victory. Dude was one of the worst bullies on t.v. when I watched him.

It’s like there’s this culture in washington where there are dems and repubs, and then there is everyone else/ civilian dems nd repubs. The washington dems and repubs control the world view of their sub civilians while doing things contradictory to the view and platform they portray.

It’s all a bunch of bullshit, on both sides, dems and repubs. [/quote]

You got good points here but the OP is off. That prince doesn’t have a say in what Fox News does and probably doesn’t care what Fox News says about Saudi b/c he’s in it to make money.

I think that prince has had a large investment in Fox News for several years so I don’t think Fox will be changing the way they report on Saudi at this point. Anyway Saudi is officially an ally and there’s not a lot of benefit for any mainstream news organization to bash Saudi, despite deserving it. Right now it’s all about Iran. Before it was all Syria. Before it was the arab spring. There’s nothing sexy to report about Saudi right now and that has more to do with the typical American news consumer than it does about a prince having a large investment in Fox News.

The deal is - Saudi keeps world oil markets stable, sells oil in US$, buys our second-tier weapons, allows our military bases on their land, and allows US companies to invest heavily. We let Saudi continue on with their disgusting regime and for the important families there to make ridiculous money without doing anything.

It’s easy to turn a blind eye on their shady dealings with terrorists. Plus there is no reporter good enough to uncover shit like that especially b/c Saudi isn’t going to be allowing foreign journalists in to report on their backwardness and shadiness. I’m sure the CIA knows lots of dirt but we’re not going to be seeing that anytime soon b/c the relationship is too important right now.

And of course it’s “all bullshit”. American cable news isn’t around to keep people informed with unbiased news. It’s there for entertainment and providing coverage and messages the target audience expects.[/quote]

I think it’s there to keep us worried about what the left hand is doing… It doesn’t quite make sense that it is purely there for entertainment, everyone knows it shapes how we think about world events and other nations. It does things like steer our spending habits as seen in above vid. Therefore it’s important for us to know who has what to gain, aka who owns the networks and their endeavors they may wish to accomplish by creating people who rely solely on them for information.

It’s no secret there is a dichotomy in the media split between left and right. You have your MSNBC super libtards and your FOX News Retardicans… The entertainment aspect is that everything is sensationalized and we are pitted against one another kinda like gladiator games or some kind of bullshit R vs. D war.

Meantime, the owners are looking out for numero uno. How could you believe that the owners of media don’t want to steer your world view? They have complete control of it already, well at least a hell of a lot of influence. Look at all the Fox and MSNBC shit on facebook by your buddies. Everyone has been eaten alive already and do very little thinking for themselves.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]BPCorso wrote:

…American cable news isn’t around to keep people informed with unbiased news…[/quote]

Are you implying that over the air broadcasters (CBS, NBC, ABC) are?[/quote]

No. I should have said televised news. Broadcast news is so irrelevant to me it slipped my mind. Cable news in particular though seems more entertainment oriented.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

Thanks for re-hashing all that…tell us, what news source do you believe speaks the truth?[/quote]

I’m not sure one exists. You’re best bet is to consume news from multiple sources. AP and Reuters write the dryest that I’m aware of.

[quote]Severiano wrote:

I think it’s there to keep us worried about what the left hand is doing… It doesn’t quite make sense that it is purely there for entertainment, everyone knows it shapes how we think about world events and other nations. It does things like steer our spending habits as seen in above vid. Therefore it’s important for us to know who has what to gain, aka who owns the networks and their endeavors they may wish to accomplish by creating people who rely solely on them for information.

It’s no secret there is a dichotomy in the media split between left and right. You have your MSNBC super libtards and your FOX News Retardicans… The entertainment aspect is that everything is sensationalized and we are pitted against one another kinda like gladiator games or some kind of bullshit R vs. D war.

Meantime, the owners are looking out for numero uno. How could you believe that the owners of media don’t want to steer your world view? They have complete control of it already, well at least a hell of a lot of influence. Look at all the Fox and MSNBC shit on facebook by your buddies. Everyone has been eaten alive already and do very little thinking for themselves.
[/quote]

I agree with most of your points. It is not purely for entertainment purposes but the entertainment value of cable news is a large part of the product they’re pushing. Like you I’m also tired of how political leanings inspire too much vitriol and hatred between people who normally would be civil toward each other.

As far as the OP goes though I don’t think the Prince is making any decisions on Fox programming. But I do agree that people should at least be aware of who owns what. I also agree that many people who own media outlets are trying to steer world view. They do it through entertainment and appealing directly to the sensibilities of their target audience.

[quote]BPCorso wrote:

[quote]Severiano wrote:

[/quote]

I agree with most of your points. It is not purely for entertainment purposes but the entertainment value of cable news is a large part of the product they’re pushing. Like you I’m also tired of how political leanings inspire too much vitriol and hatred between people who normally would be civil toward each other.

As far as the OP goes though I don’t think the Prince is making any decisions on Fox programming. But I do agree that people should at least be aware of who owns what. I also agree that many people who own media outlets are trying to steer world view. They do it through entertainment and appealing directly to the sensibilities of their target audience.[/quote]

I don’t know so much what the dynamic is between the owners. I know what Rupert Murdoch did in the U.K. and world news which was making decisions for world news, he’s the majority owner with the Prince 1% behind him. What makes you think they aren’t doing the same with Fox? Murdoch has already done it and the Philosophy behind stocks in part is keeping your investors happy…

That’s why I believe what I believe. It’s already happened once in the U.K. Why do people still trust him?