Squats: 3-8x1
Leg Press: 5x3

Day 4-off

Day 5:Back and Delts
Weighted Chins: 3-8x1
Close Grip Row: 5x3
Military Press: 3x5

Day 6 and 7- off

Program says once you can hit 8 singles to add 5 or so pounds next workout.

My main goal is strength but obviously size would be nice to but strength is my objective so, Does it look good to you guys any suggestions on it.

I would do something else…

How strong are you?

If you want to be good at doing something, do it often, and do it alot. Something like sheiko is great IMO.

Well I am 17 and 5’6" I weigh about 180.
Bench:245lbs
Deadlift:385(conventional) 400lbs(sumo)
Squat:I have not done them but when I did I maxed out at roughly 370lbs.

Well I researched Sheiko and there is no way I can do that routine as its just far to much volume I believe but the biggest limiting factor to this style is I do not have the time to be in the gym 2 or 3 hours a session. Also I am more interested in all around strength not just the powerlifts as I am mostly interested in strongman and everything needs to be drastically improved not just my bench, squat, and deadlift.

Any other opinions on this routine or others to search keep in mind mom only allows me to venture off into the gym 3 times a week most the time.

Well, sheiko has helped me a lot, I’m only 16 years old, and I deadlift about 490lb at 195lb bw.

Anyhow, I would definately not do it with strongman in mind. Do mostly compound excersises, and do the lifts, that strongmen do…

I’m no expert, but I think you should be able to still see gains with doing singles, something in the lower rep range 2-5 should be good. Why not try westside routines or korte’s 3x3?

jonatan- well thats kinda of why I liked this program as I am only able to get into the gym 3 days a week at this time and this routine seems to some what favor strongman. I was also thinking of changing this routine up a bit as right now its still not exactly strongmans best choice. But I was thinking of changing bench to incline and I obviously are going to have to incorporate deadlifts some where.

Mondy-main reson being because I have tried westside and I didnt much care for it. I have never heard of korte 3x3 I will look into but I am prety sure singles will produce results and with some added rep work should produce some decent size gains I believe.

What about Wendlers 5/3/1 I heard some good things about it.

Favors strongman? No.

There’s no atlasstone lifts, frontsquats, yeah, there is an OH press, but speak to some strongman, I’m sure it can be done in a better way.

Jonatan- Well I have the atlas stones and event stuff at my house and I am mainly focusing on gym stuff on this subject. And this is not the exact routine I would follow its just a basic template… what I am mostly interested here with this question is what do you think of high set singles. Do you think singles could produce results.

Mondy-Wendlers 5/3/1 is also new to me but I have looked into this and I have yet to really heard anything bad about it.

High set singles are definately worth trying. I’ve done it in deadlifts in som time with good results.

Here, www.bodybuilding.dk/files/attachments/5123-TJ__s_D_dl_ft_single_cyklus.xls , is a danish (Yes, I’m danish) deadlift single routine, I’ve followed a couple of times with great results. And yes, you can read it, it’s written in english, but it is made in kg’s, though.

If Sheiko is to much volume…Wendler 5/3/1 will be a very good fit for you! my 2 cents!!

[quote]im_the_truth_ wrote:
Day 1:Chest and Arms
Bench Press: 3-8x1
Incline DB Press: 3x5
Barbell Curls: 3-8x1
Close Grip Lockouts: 3x5

Day 2-off

Day 3:Legs
Squats: 3-8x1
Leg Press: 5x3

Day 4-off

Day 5:Back and Delts
Weighted Chins: 3-8x1
Close Grip Row: 5x3
Military Press: 3x5

Day 6 and 7- off

Program says once you can hit 8 singles to add 5 or so pounds next workout.

My main goal is strength but obviously size would be nice to but strength is my objective so, Does it look good to you guys any suggestions on it.[/quote]

I personally don’t think it’s a good idea to do squats and leg presses at the same time. And for the upper body, i’d take off incline DB press and curls. I also think it’s pointless to do two lat dominant exercises at the same time. Curls should only be done if you absolutely think that your arms are NOT stimulated enough from heavy upper back work.

So far, routine doesn’t look too bad. Your set/rep scheme SHOULD be based upon the Prilepin table.

BTW, you have a really cool looking physique. Nice pose too.

Type2B-Thank you very much for the compliment you just made my day (seriously). What do you suggest I put with squats instead of leg press. I did the leg workout yesterday and I am beat but I didnt follow this scheme exactly it looked like this
Squat:8x1
Leg Press:3x5
DB Lunges:2x10 per leg
Also I was thinking my push workout is going to look more like this
Incline Bench Press:8x1
Military Press:3x5
Dips:2xfailure

Jonatan-Thank you very much I will look into that routine as well.

[quote]crankMAN wrote:
If Sheiko is to much volume…Wendler 5/3/1 will be a very good fit for you! my 2 cents!![/quote]

What does that look like? Do you have a excel file containing it?

Im_the_truth: It depends on your weakness, work the weakest part of the chain. It could be Lunges, it could goodmornings, or some whole other thing.
I believe, though, that you should practice what you want to be good a. Wanna be a good squatter? -Squat alot! Do a little other excercises for weakpoints, but put focus mainly on the movements, that you want to be good at.

Jonatan-Thank you and I will.

[quote]im_the_truth_ wrote:
Type2B-Thank you very much for the compliment you just made my day (seriously). What do you suggest I put with squats instead of leg press. I did the leg workout yesterday and I am beat but I didnt follow this scheme exactly it looked like this
Squat:8x1
Leg Press:3x5
DB Lunges:2x10 per leg
Also I was thinking my push workout is going to look more like this
Incline Bench Press:8x1
Military Press:3x5
Dips:2xfailure

Jonatan-Thank you very much I will look into that routine as well.[/quote]

It looked ridiculous to me…

First off, incline bench presses can give you enough stimulation for both your pecs and delts. Since that statement is true, why did you do military presses and dips after the inclines?

I just wanna clear things up, you’re training for strength right? Not mass, but strength. Here’s a simple rule to follow:

(Your performance with your work sets when training for maximal strength should be close to identical. A decrease in performance (as far as the speed of execution, repetitions, and weight) with each successive sets should never reach 10% and above. So let’s say you’re planning to do bench presses for 3x3 at 300 lbs. If you’ve gotten so fatigued that the only weight that you can manage at the third set is 270x3, you should STOP!

Why? Because if you’re training for strength, you are using a certain motor unit pool in your body that are mainly specialized for a high level of force production. These motor units (MUs), according to Chad Waterbury, can never be recruited by your CNS for more than 15 seconds straight! Which means these MUs have a low level of endurance.

“Why not just go all out? Why can’t we train both the strong MUs and the weak MUs?” When was the last time you saw a marathon runner win the 100 meters? And when was the last time you saw a powerlifter run 24 miles?)

This is why Prilepin’s table is very effective. It follows the rule that I just mentioned above. (which I got from Christian Thibaudeau.)

Good luck!

By comparing low vs. high threshold MU’s and marathon runners vs. sprinters you show complete ignorance.
First off, what is the connection between the two?
Second off, it is lot only two different kinds of MU recruted by endurance athletes and sprinters, but also metabolic adaptions.

Of course you can do e.g. 8x3 and then later 2x20, or also high volume like GVT, where you start off easy, but because of the density later recrute the bigger MUs.

Also, I wouldn’t worry about recruting new MUs, which is your reason to stop before tiring out too much, I would worry more about accumulating too much CNS fatigue.

Anyhow, what is Prilepin’s table?

[quote]jonatan-shg wrote:
By comparing low vs. high threshold MU’s and marathon runners vs. sprinters you show complete ignorance.
Second off, it is lot only two different kinds of MU recruted by endurance athletes and sprinters, but also metabolic adaptions.

Of course you can do e.g. 8x3 and then later 2x20, or also high volume like GVT, where you start off easy, but because of the density later recrute the bigger MUs.

Also, I wouldn’t worry about recruting new MUs, which is your reason to stop before tiring out too much, I would worry more about accumulating too much CNS fatigue.

Anyhow, what is Prilepin’s table?[/quote]

Avoiding too much CNS fatigue and trying to minimize slow twitch fiber recruitment is almost the same thing.

Prilepin’s table is this (I posted it first at strengthmill.net):

(Guidelines? Yes. I don’t have any guidelines for hypertrophy, but if you want pure strength, I have something special. It’s called the “Prilepin table”. It was created by Alexander Sergeyevitch Prilepin, who, not only is a scientist, but also a former national coach of the Soviet Union and has trained the likes of Anatoly Pisarenko and Leonid Taranenko. His table is also condoned by Jack Reape, Louie Simmons, Sam Byrd, and many more!

Intensity…Rep range per set…Optimal total reps…Total rep range
70% and below…3-6…24…18-30
70%-80%…3-6…18…12-24
80%-90%…2-4…15…10-20
90%+…1-2…7… 4-10

The theory behind this table is that it lets you lift weights without letting the bar speed slow down. More velocity = more force production. Of course if you’re trying to lift heavy weights, velocity will naturally be slower, but the more important factor is the “intentional speed”. You should be lifting the bar with maximum effort at the concentric portion of the lift.

Here are samples of set/rep schemes that are favorable with the table:
3x2 at 90%+ of 1RM
4x4 at 80-90% of 1RM)

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
jonatan-shg wrote:

Anyhow, what is Prilepin’s table?

Avoiding too much CNS fatigue and trying to minimize slow twitch fiber recruitment is almost the same thing.

Prilepin’s table is this (I posted it first at strengthmill.net):

(Guidelines? Yes. I don’t have any guidelines for hypertrophy, but if you want pure strength, I have something special. It’s called the “Prilepin table”. It was created by Alexander Sergeyevitch Prilepin, who, not only is a scientist, but also a former national coach of the Soviet Union and has trained the likes of Anatoly Pisarenko and Leonid Taranenko. His table is also condoned by Jack Reape, Louie Simmons, Sam Byrd, and many more!

Intensity…Rep range per set…Optimal total reps…Total rep range
70% and below…3-6…24…18-30
70%-80%…3-6…18…12-24
80%-90%…2-4…15…10-20
90%+…1-2…7… 4-10

The theory behind this table is that it lets you lift weights without letting the bar speed slow down. More velocity = more force production. Of course if you’re trying to lift heavy weights, velocity will naturally be slower, but the more important factor is the “intentional speed”. You should be lifting the bar with maximum effort at the concentric portion of the lift.

Here are samples of set/rep schemes that are favorable with the table:
3x2 at 90%+ of 1RM
4x4 at 80-90% of 1RM)
[/quote]

I’m definately in for pure strength, I’m on the danish national junior pl team, so definately wanting strength.

Woithout looking it up, ain’t it then a little like the rep/intensity scheme used in sheiko? - I’ve had very good experience with sheiko myself.