T Nation

Foul Smelling Shaky Tubs Remedy

After a few months continual use all of my protein shakers just develop the most foul stink smell, I am a bit of a clean freak and this bugs the shit out of me.

I have arrived at a solution and I thought I would share it. Put some vinegar into your tubs and soak them over night, rinse and clean out with soapy water the next day and WHAM neutral smell again.

Or, you could pour bleach into them and quickly rinse them out.

Bacteria cause the smell. Bleach kills bacteria.

[quote]JamFly wrote:
After a few months continual use all of my protein shakers just develop the most foul stink smell, I am a bit of a clean freak and this bugs the shit out of me.

I have arrived at a solution and I thought I would share it. Put some vinegar into your tubs and soak them over night, rinse and clean out with soapy water the next day and WHAM neutral smell again.[/quote]

Thanks for your info but you’d be better off not using plastic to drink from. It has pores and glass doesn’t. In other words, you can’t ever get it clean because of it’s molecular structure.Use glass instead. Not trying to be argumentative but plastic is bad news all around.

I thought it was like a cast iron skillet, just getting seasoned.

[quote]yogaroots wrote:
JamFly wrote:

I have arrived at a solution and I thought I would share it. Put some vinegar into your tubs and soak them over night, rinse and clean out with soapy water the next day and WHAM neutral smell again.

Thanks for your info but you’d be better off not using plastic to drink from. It has pores and glass doesn’t. In other words, you can’t ever get it clean because of it’s molecular structure.Use glass instead. Not trying to be argumentative but plastic is bad news all around.

http://www.grist.org/advice/ask/2004/08/02/umbra-bottles/ [/quote]

Does anybody make a glass shaker cup?

Gerdy

I had the same problem a few months back, quick call to grandma for an answer.

Baking soda + water + overnight = no more smell…

http://www.onlinefitness.com/productlist.cfm?m=361&gclid=CLz_lOP5tZMCFQuwGgodtib6CQ

Alum. bottles, $23 a piece, holds 4 cups

I have the exact same problem, it doesn’t taste funny, only the smell. Putting it in the dishwasher helps, but it has to be done every time you use it, so I keep a few.

[quote]yogaroots wrote:
JamFly wrote:

http://www.grist.org/advice/ask/2004/08/02/umbra-bottles/ [/quote]

Thanks for that was interesting.

[quote]JamFly wrote:
yogaroots wrote:
JamFly wrote:

Thanks for that was interesting.[/quote]

your welcome

Ya, I’ve had the same problem with some of my shakers. I can’t tell when its a protein shake, but i refuse to use water cuz it takes like shit.

My quick cure has been to soak it in soapy water overnight, but that only lasts for a few days til the stench returns.

So, I’m gonna try one with bleach and one with vinegar to see which is faster/better.