Foul Smell In My Protein Shaker

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
jlesk68 wrote:
Soak overnight in a water/clorox mix.

I dunno bout the clorox…[/quote]

No worries. Just wash it well after.

Most water is chlorinated anyway.

[quote]tveddy wrote:

Same here. If it stinks, don’t smell it. Leave the top off and let it air out bit with it upside down in the dish drainer. Its not the shaker, its the liquid in it that stinks.

PS clean it after you use it. (with soap)[/quote]

I agree with this. When I leave the top off overnight the smell gets very faint. Ifr I leave the top on it reeks even if I think I had it dry before I capped it.

This happened to the protein shaker I keep in my desk at work. I left it for two weeks once and when I finally opened it to give it a good cleaning, the smell was horrendous. I tried several things to clean it but after a few days of trying, I gave up and threw it away. Bought a new one for $4. Now I just make sure I clean it right away every time I use it.

[quote]xvsanta42 wrote:
diesel25 wrote:
What kind of Protein have you been cough mixing?

whey…and i left the bleach with water in it for an hour and the smell is gone…glad i dont have to shell out another $12 for a nalgene…thx for all the recommendations.[/quote]

I see what your problem is here. You are using a NALGENE as a protein shaker. It has been my experience that no matter how diligent you are at washing out your bottles after you use them, some time or another you will throw a dirty one in your gym bag and forget about it for a while. Even worse is leaving one in your car for a week or so in the summer. You can wash and wash, but they are pretty much always going to have a little hint of ass. Now, I use nalgenes every day for drinking my water, and I have made the mistake of using them for protein. I have ruined my share of nalgenes this way. You can get them clean enough to drink protein out of, but water will never taste good out of it again.

So, my advice is to buy dedicated protein shakers for <$5 each, and leave your expensive nalgenes for your water. Most good shakers have screens in them to break up clumps, and are easier to clean because of their wide mouths, anyway.

Jeff

[quote]Horazio wrote:
Same thing happens to me everytime I forget to wash the shaker.

Proteins rot down very fast and this is a good sing ,it proves they are very nutritive.
Only poor food won’t rot.[/quote]

What??? Twinkies don’t rot.

DB

If you think your shaker bottle smelled bad, do this:

1. Mix your usual protein with 3 tbsp of flaxseed and water in your flowery-smelling shaker bottle.

2. Shake well.

3. Drink.

4. Leave over the weekend.

5. Open up and smell.

6. Vomit and pass out.

I’ve never smelled anything so foul in my life! That flaxseed sure knows how to rot.

Use white vinegar. Gets the nastiest smells to go away.

Bro,

The problem is the rubber gasket between the bottom of the glass and the plastic bottom that houses the impeller. The gasket accumulates gunk.

Unscrew the bottom plastic piece (off the glass bottle) and clean off the gasket (both sides). It won’t hurt to wipe out the bottom of the glass and plastic as it gets coated with gunk over time.

I basically used my Kitchen Aid blender every day for 10 years. I would periodically do the above, and everything is fine. The entire process may take 15 minutes at the most.

After cleaning it w/soap & hot water get most of the water out…I just whip mine dry and then leave the top off. Leaving the top off is key here. It will stink no matter what if you keep putting the lid back on. Mine did. Now mine doesn’t.

Mate, i am the same. i left some old drinks bottles with whey isolate residues in my bag. I use them to wake up my housemates now, like smelling salts. I read poliquin reckons we should get new plastics regularly tho, or they’ll have some t-depleting or negative effect? Seemes deep. I just nick my mates squash bottles once he’s finished drinking his babylon-sugar juice

[quote]Miserere wrote:

1. Mix your usual protein with 3 tbsp of flaxseed and water in your flowery-smelling shaker bottle.

2. Shake well.

3. Drink.

5. Open up and smell.

6. Vomit and pass out.

I’ve never smelled anything so foul in my life! That flaxseed sure knows how to rot.[/quote]

hahahaha
I’ve done this too, left it in my car over a very hot souther cali weekend

If you were hardcore you’d make a shake without even washing it then choke that baby down.

POLL: How many have left a shaker for days and known that the smell inside is gonna be horrendous but felt the urge to sniff and find out just how bad?

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
I just nick my mates squash bottles once he’s finished drinking his babylon-sugar juice[/quote]

Try English.

[quote]E-man wrote:
If you were hardcore you’d make a shake without even washing it then choke that baby down.

POLL: How many have left a shaker for days and known that the smell inside is gonna be horrendous but felt the urge to sniff and find out just how bad?[/quote]

I’ve done that once, and learned my lesson. I now have the hot water running before opening, then hold my breath as I quickly rinse, drip dish detergent, pour scolding water, recap, and shake…then breath again.

I usually still get a whiff of it though.

[quote]TJN713 wrote:
Use white vinegar. Gets the nastiest smells to go away.[/quote]

This and baking soda should do the trick. Place three tablespoons of baking soda in the shaker and then add one cup white vinegar. Snap the lid on really quickly and shake like a MF. Presto! clean.

[quote]TKL.ca wrote:
Just buy a new one and throw the old one out. They’re only like 10$ to replace, maybe even less. [/quote]

best advice, bleach may kill you

[quote]tme wrote:
TJN713 wrote:
This and baking soda should do the trick. Place three tablespoons of baking soda in the shaker and then
[/quote]

I fifteenth the baking soda. Let it soak overnight. The idea of a dedicated protein shaker is also intriguing.

[quote]Miserere wrote:

2. Shake well.

3. Drink.

5. Open up and smell.

6. Vomit and pass out.

I’ve never smelled anything so foul in my life! That flaxseed sure knows how to rot.[/quote]

Oh buddy. I had one of those nalgane (SP) in my truck for 3 months or more.

Metabolic Drive
Banana
Flax seed
PB
Olive oil
1 raw egg

Opened that shit up and I had to hold the barf down for 10 min.

[quote]polluted wrote:
tme wrote:
TJN713 wrote:
This and baking soda should do the trick. Place three tablespoons of baking soda in the shaker and then

I fifteenth the baking soda. Let it soak overnight. The idea of a dedicated protein shaker is also intriguing.
[/quote]

Didn’t this guy say…a long time ago…that he got the smell out already with bleach?

I hate shaker bottles, for no other reason than I just hate them…

I use a large measuring cup and a whisk now. Make my shakes like a woman, drink them like a man.