Foul Smell In My Protein Shaker

Okay, so right before I went away for my extended 2 week spring break vacation, I forgot to clean out my protein shaker...and all the amino acids and whatever else had time to stink that fucker up...Ive tried cleaning it with bleach, soap and am considering using vinegar....Im too cheap to buy another one...Any suggestions on how to get that foullll smell out of my shaker??

Try baking soda, usually does the trick with other smelling containers from food/liquid/etc.

I usually run it through the dishwasher, but baking soda sounds helpful for those who don’t have that luxury. Thanks, I learned something new.

Soak overnight in a water/clorox mix.

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
Soak overnight in a water/clorox mix.[/quote]

I dunno bout the clorox…

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
jlesk68 wrote:

I dunno bout the clorox…[/quote]

If you’re not willing to die, you obviously don’t want a stink free shaker bottle!

Dude, I’ve done the same thing before, and attempted most of the remedies suggested. The ones I tried didn’t do a whole lot. Just suck it up and use the shaker anyway. I’ve had two different shakers that smelled funny, and it goes away over time. No big deal.

While I was in high school still, my mom used my shaker bottle to mix some sort of ranch dressing concoction. That was a bad smell. I tossed the bottle.

[quote]xvsanta42 wrote:
Okay, so right before I went away for my extended 2 week spring break vacation, I forgot to clean out my protein shaker…and all the amino acids and whatever else had time to stink that fucker up…Ive tried cleaning it with bleach, soap and am considering using vinegar…Im too cheap to buy another one…Any suggestions on how to get that foullll smell out of my shaker??[/quote]

Dude, first let me say I am very sorry but I forgot to tell you that while you were gone…

I had some problems after a kegger and had to go to the doctor. They wanted a urine sample and you bitched the last time when I used the good water glasses, and that thing had a lid, so…

Then I went to that all-you-can-eat Chinese place and had some of that sushi stuff but I think it was out all day. Anyway, this time the doctor wanted a stool sample and, well, you were the one that didn’t want to spend a couple of bucks on baggies, so I…

So I’m sorry I forgot to tell you, but hell, if you buy enough supps you can usually talk them into a free one, and did I mention we ran out of kitty litter and had to use your protein powder and those aren’t lumps in your drink?

Sorry.

Your roommate.

Just buy a new one and throw the old one out. They’re only like 10$ to replace, maybe even less.

The price of all the cleaner and water that you’ll use to get rid of the smell will probably be higher than getting a new shaker bottle.

It’s like $3.00.

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
jlesk68 wrote:

I dunno bout the clorox…[/quote]

Bleach works. However, do NOT soak it overnight in bleach. It will begin to break down the plastic over time. Rinsing it well in bleach and water will get rid of any bacteria causing the smell in most containers.

[quote]georgeb wrote:
Dude, I’ve done the same thing before, and attempted most of the remedies suggested. The ones I tried didn’t do a whole lot. Just suck it up and use the shaker anyway. I’ve had two different shakers that smelled funny, and it goes away over time. No big deal.[/quote]

Same here. If it stinks, don’t smell it. Leave the top off and let it air out bit with it upside down in the dish drainer. Its not the shaker, its the liquid in it that stinks.

PS clean it after you use it. (with soap)

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
The price of all the cleaner and water that you’ll use to get rid of the smell will probably be higher than getting a new shaker bottle.

It’s like $3.00.[/quote]

I used to do that…until I discovered the baby bottle scrubbers they sell at Walmart and dollar stores. For a while, I was only using plastic containers for about two to three weeks before throwing them out. Considering how many shakes I can go through, that added to a lot of wasted plastic.

Bleach is cheap (I buy most cleaning products like that at dollar stores, so 99 cents isn’t exactly setting anyone back). If bleach doesn’t work, then throw it out.

I just checked elitefts.com. They have their shakers on sale for $3.75 each. They look like the type I have, and it is great, but getting old.

I am going to pick a few up. Thought you might like to know.

Jeff

Pouring boiling water in it usually works.

What kind of Protein have you been cough mixing?

[quote]FFJeff wrote:
I just checked elitefts.com. They have their shakers on sale for $3.75 each. They look like the type I have, and it is great, but getting old.

I am going to pick a few up. Thought you might like to know.

Jeff[/quote]

Speaking of elitefts, I just bought 4 more shaker bottles from them, and they’re seriously much better than the ones I got from bodybuilding.com (the cheapest ones from there).

Deeper grooves, easier to match the threads, and no leaks.

I was going to post a new thread about them, but thought it wasn’t significant enough.

And back on topic, I found, over time, that rinsing the shakers out with hot water right after drinking it helps a lot if you don’t have a place to wash it with dish soap right away.

Also, leaving water in them seems to be the perfect breading grounds for terrible smelling bacteria, or something, even after it’s been washed.

Try to shake it as dry as possible after washing them, and don’t put the top back on so it can air dry.

[quote]diesel25 wrote:
What kind of Protein have you been cough mixing?

[/quote]

whey…and i left the bleach with water in it for an hour and the smell is gone…glad i dont have to shell out another $12 for a nalgene…thx for all the recommendations.

Same thing happens to me everytime I forget to wash the shaker.

Proteins rot down very fast and this is a good sing ,it proves they are very nutritive.
Only poor food won’t rot.