Forum Trolls

I have been accused of trolling, and to some maybe i was. (Funnily enough, i dont agree, but there you go). However, that may be in relation to topic, and the accuser

This could detract from other well meaning contributions within a forum, and the accusation could cause problems also, by alienating members of the forum who are not as thick skinned as others.

True trolls dont even enter into the community, they just cause agrovation, and that is the motivation for them.

As Stated prior, the mods get rid of trolls. a troll is not someone who disagrees with a poster. The threads would peter out and die, and for the viewers of the thread, as well as the contributors would have no enjoyment/challenge.

It would be a dull world if everyone agreed.

[quote]danreeves1973 wrote:
once again, words of wisdom from Mufasa.

Face it, forums are in many ways representations of real society. You have the same kinds of people, interacting verbally in many of the same ways. You have intelligent folk, you have fools, you have hostility. But in a forum, I belive, the abilty to assume a new identity, the seeming anonimity (? on spelling), leads people to write and post what they would or could not ever say in the “real” world. Hence the mild mannered guy who wouldn’t argue with you if you spit in his face, becomes a flaming, Hell bent destroyer troll when he logs on.

A question to ponder. Do you think that the language and verbage used by people when they post on a forum is actually how this person would speak to you if you sat down at a table to talk to them? My guess, for the most part, is yes.[/quote]

Often the language used in posts is a bit, well, “potty mouth”! There is a need for expletives, but they are used to much. They can be inflamatory and could cause offence.

I am not talking about people who have a different point of view and I welcome the opinions of other. I usually can learn something from them if they are some what inteligent. However, these people are the ones that just look for opportunities to stir the pot so to speak.

Chris, right after posting this I read the discussion about moderating and trolls. I appreciate the fact that you all do your jobs and eliminate most of the b.s. Maybe the guys that I am thinking of are just assholes and not true trolls.

miniross is not a troll. You may disagree with him, and you might not be able to understand what the fuck he’s saying, but he is not a troll.

I think he prefers the term, ‘wee man’. :wink:

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
I don’t know guys…

Maybe there are “degrees” or “levels” of trolls???

I thought that was like a D&D thing. :wink:

[/quote]
Bwahahaha…sound the alarms, it’s a neeerd alert!

[quote]FayeB wrote:

I believe their ultimate purpose is to leave a stagnant trail of ugliness everywhere they go while watching forum members eventually turn on each other in an attempt to re-establish the peace.

[/quote]

Haha, yes let’s attack each other in an attempt to re-establish peace. Hurray for Canadian trolls!

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1111247329555.MoreNe10.jpg

http://www.dc101.com/videos/shmoo6.mpg

Anyway you guys don’t understand trolling…

Trolling would be like me posting 1000 different threads all different variations of “Lifting weights is for gays”

And still getting a response to EVERY thread that I posted.

That means that you should get the hook out your mouth if you ever get baited like that.

But forget all of that.

LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT!!!

[quote]miniross wrote:
I have been accused of trolling,.[/quote]

Aren’t you the guy who jumped on the Jeep thread, where off road enthusiasts were having a fun discussion and posting pics, and told them they were gay for driving Jeeps?

Then in another thread involving tattoos, you jumped in and insulted them too.

You may not be a troll, but that was trollish behavior.

He’s not a troll, he’s just under the mistaken impression that his negative opinion of other’s passions is something we need to hear about. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Dave2 wrote:
miniross wrote:
I have been accused of trolling,.

Aren’t you the guy who jumped on the Jeep thread, where off road enthusiasts were having a fun discussion and posting pics, and told them they were gay for driving Jeeps?

Then in another thread involving tattoos, you jumped in and insulted them too.

You may not be a troll, but that was trollish behavior.
[/quote]

Yes, but i did not accuse the owners/drivers of being gay, and infact (self effacingly) noted about my partcular conveyance, and likewise was then noted as having a “gay” car.

Re tats thread, just see the other conflab on that thread. refer and read.

I disagree that it was trollish behaviour, (maybe the jeep one, but that was in jest and was not a trolling).

A troll is quade the finest (remember him) and trollish behaviour would be throwing around swearwords and personal insults,

as it happens i wish i could get something like the 4x4, but petrol prices here are ridiculous, and lets just say i am envious.

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:
FayeB wrote:

I believe their ultimate purpose is to leave a stagnant trail of ugliness everywhere they go while watching forum members eventually turn on each other in an attempt to re-establish the peace.

Haha, yes let’s attack each other in an attempt to re-establish peace. Hurray for Canadian trolls![/quote]

This is true! That’s what happened to us on another forum only because we didn’t have any moderators over there but now we do.

So the playing field was left wide open for trolls to register, create a shit thread, or disturb a great topic thread. Then most of us would jump in, defend the person the troll was trying to attack. However, in the attempt to get everything back to normal on the board, a lot of cattiness came out towards eachother and I’m sure that’s what the troll wanted to see.

These people definitely leave a sourness on the board. And I agree with Mufasa who indicated that there are different levels of trolls. I believe that’s what you said right Mufasa?

Then there’s the regular hi-jacking shit disturbers who throw their lame-ass comments into some great topic threads. They have nothing creative or intelligent to contribute whatsoever.

Yea…

I still firmly believe that a trolls underlying motivation is not to debate, enlighten or to uplift…

But to destroy…

Mufasa

Ericka:

Trolls can be DAMN frustrating…especaially when it is a topic you REALLY want discussed and debated because you are either:

a) not knowledgeble on the subject and/or

b) you are not exactly clear where you stand, and would like varying opinions…

Mufasa

[quote]SicTorn wrote:
Not what I said. I said there is no “one” right answer to the exclusion of all other answers when it comes to discussions.

Zeppelin795 wrote:
There is no such thing as a right answer?

[/quote]

What if the other answers contradict one another? Could there only be one right answer? For instance does God exsist or doesn’t he? If I said yes and you said no and someone else said maybe isn’t only one of us correct and the other wrong and still the other unsure? Just trying to understand what it is you are saying.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
miniross is not a troll. You may disagree with him, and you might not be able to understand what the fuck he’s saying, but he is not a troll.

I think he prefers the term, ‘wee man’. ;)[/quote]

Whenever I come across a post of miniross’s, I usually skip over it. Most of the time I just don’t understand what the hell he is trying to say.

It’s sort of like when I read a thread that I’m mildly interested in, and then I see BB’s post and I read half the article, but then I scroll down a little and see he has 2 more article and 52 more paragraph’s for me to read. And this is only his first post, he has like 8 more posts. And than I remember that I was only slightly interested in the subject matter anyway, so I go play with that virtual bartender some more.

[quote]FayeB wrote:
Orbitalboner wrote:
FayeB wrote:

Haha, yes let’s attack each other in an attempt to re-establish peace. Hurray for Canadian trolls!

This is true! That’s what happened to us on another forum only because we didn’t have any moderators over there but now we do.

So the playing field was left wide open for trolls to register, create a shit thread, or disturb a great topic thread. Then most of us would jump in, defend the person the troll was trying to attack. However, in the attempt to get everything back to normal on the board, a lot of cattiness came out towards eachother and I’m sure that’s what the troll wanted to see.

These people definitely leave a sourness on the board. And I agree with Mufasa who indicated that there are different levels of trolls. I believe that’s what you said right Mufasa?

Then there’s the regular hi-jacking shit disturbers who throw their lame-ass comments into some great topic threads. They have nothing creative or intelligent to contribute whatsoever. [/quote]

Is it neccesarily a bad thing for hidden cattiness and disagreement to come out?

I know this is a bit of an unusual take on it, but, I never much like how some people put on socialable fronts. If you feel a certain way, why not respectfully admit it? Doesn’t mean you have to go about calling one a bitch or a bastard, but, if you hate someone’s guts for some reason, then why not admit it?

I don’t think this troll side effect is neccesarily a bad one, though, I agree with Mufasa in that I hate when a good thread gets totally sidetracked and we lose the insight that would be gained if people would focus.

[quote]SicTorn wrote:

When your dad is done with it. How’s that for even lower?[/quote]

At least is wasn’t my momma.

I could understand if a thread is a debate,and there are conflicting positions abou a point, but in the tat thread, or when there is a general sense of comradery forming around a special interest, It is very much a troll move to jump in and start throwing around insults when it realy is just a thread where people are having fun, playing show and tell.Sorry about the run on sentence, but I can’t think of a way to re-construct it.Too much coffee.
My point is- Would a troll do that to a group of people in real life? I seriously doubt it. It seems like a blatant demonstration of internet balls. That person can’t be touched, and feels at liberty to say anything to anyone he feels like.
So here’s an idea. Lets give the mods a break.Call it a holiday. Any time anybody feels an overabundance of digital testicular fortitude(internet balls), Try the three R’s. Retreat,Rethink,Respond. Of course I’m sure some troll is gonna read this and laugh his ass off.

Moon Knight asked:

“Is it neccesarily a bad thing for hidden cattiness and disagreement to come out?”

NO!!!

I would HATE for the Board to take on the “excitement” of “Fed Radio” (did you guys hear about the radio station for Federal Employees on “60 Minutes”? BOOORiiing!!!)…or for it to take on the “controversy” of a BBC Flower Show…

There needs to be “spice” on a Board…but not pure vindictivness and a desire to destroy…

Mufasa

[quote]Soco wrote:
SicTorn wrote:

When your dad is done with it. How’s that for even lower?

At least is wasn’t my momma.

[/quote]

your momma’s still bizzy with that pic of me, isn’t she, Soco?