Formulating a Plan of Attack.

Greetings T-Nation.

I’m looking for advice on how I should proceed from where I am now. First to share some info on myself, to put things into context I suppose.
I am a 17 year old Icelandic male.

I weight in at just shy of 200lbs(89kg). I am about 5’11(181cm). My bf% is circa 15. I have relatively short legs and a long torso.
My lifts:

Bench Press 230 pounds
Squat: 350 pounds
Deadlift: 440 pounds.
Can’t really think of any other pertinent information, so I’m just gonna forge on ahead.

I’ve been dieting for the past few months, down from about 237lbs(108kg). It’s gone pretty good so far and I’m pleased with the results. I’m still a little soft, but that’s okay. I’ll get it the next time around.

I still have two weeks left of planned dieting and what I want advice on is how to proceed from there.

I’m planning on starting to bulk and try to add some quality muscle mass to my frame. I’d want to bulk for about six months(before getting in shape for summer;) ). How much weight should I plan on adding in that time frame?

I’m obviously looking to add as much muscle here with as little fat gain as possible. I’m not a very carb tolerant person and am prone to gaining fat so tips on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. So far, I’ve been planning on eating according to John Berardi’s Seven Habits and his Massive Eating dietary plan. Good idea? Bad idea?

As far as training goes, I’ve been lifting weights since about January this year. I quickly incorporated squats, deadlifts and other real exercises into my program so little time was wasted on a bench and curl routine.

My lifts stalled after I started dieting though and have remained pretty much where they were with slight increases. Pretty sure some of that was mindset though, so now I’m ready to start hitting the iron hard again and really ramp up the weight. I’ve designed a split which I think looks pretty good, but I am pretty new to this whole thing so I might well be sorely mistaken!

Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Recovery (Some steady state Cardio)
Day 3: Biceps/Triceps
Day 4: Quads/Hamstrings
Day 5: Recovery (Some steady state Cardio)
Day 6: Anterior and lateral delts/Rear delts (Some steady state Cardio)
Day 7: Recovery

Session 1; Chest and Back:

A1:Bench Press
60 seconds of rest
A2: Chin ups, weighted
60 seconds of rest.
4 sets of 6-8 reps.

B1: Incline Dumbbell presses
45 secs rest
B2: One Arm Dumbbell rows
45 secs rest
4 sets of 12-15 reps.

C1: Pec deck flyes?
30 secs rest
C2: Bent over Rear delt raises
30 secs rest
3 sets of 16-20 reps.

Session 2; Biceps and Triceps:

A1:Standing Barbell Curls
60 secs rest
A2:Weighted dips.
60 secs rest.
4 sets of 6-8.

B1: Hammer Curl
45 secs rest
B2: Decline Barbell extensions
45 secs rest
4 sets of 12-15 reps.

C1: Constant Tension Alternate Curls
30 secs rest.
C2: Overhead Triceps Extension
30 secs rest
3 sets of 16-20 reps.

Looking for more variety here. Suggestions?

Session 3; Quads and Hamstrings.

Power Cleans, 5 Sets of 3 reps.

A1: Squats
75 secs rest
A2 Stiff legged deadlifts
75 secs rest.
4 sets of 6-8 reps.

B1: Lunges
45 secs rest
B2:Good Mornings
45 secs rest
3 sets of 12-15 reps.

C1: Leg extensions
30 secs rest
C2: Leg Curls?
30 secs rest.
3 sets of 16-20 reps.

Session 4: Shoulders:
Push Press, 4 Sets of 5 reps.

Alternating Dumbbell shoulder presses 4 sets of 12-15

Lateral Raises, 3 sets of 16-20 reps.

Weight and progression: I want to pyramid up to a heavy, all out, last set. Taking the Stiff Legged Deadlift as an example, the work sets might go something like this:

120kgx6,125kgx6,130kgx6,135kgx8. When I can get the last set for the maximum amount of prescribed reps, I up the weight. Depending on the excercise I’d up it 10 pounds(Squats, Deadlifts and such,), 5 pounds(Bench Press, Chin-ups) or 2 pounds(Curls and the like)

Does this look okay? Any glaring flaws you want to point out to me? Anything I’ve missed? Something I failed to consider?

Anyway, that’s all for now but I’m sure I’ll have more questions later. Thank you for your time.

looks fine. go out and do it and btw stop talking like such a dork. lol@perdinet & greetings

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
looks fine. go out and do it and btw stop talking like such a dork. lol@perdinet & greetings[/quote]

Your comment on his choice of diction is not pertinent to his post.

Looks like a good program!

I was just wondering what your reasons behind throwing in the 16-20 rep sets, are they just finishing sets?

Other than that it looks okay

"I was just wondering what your reasons behind throwing in the 16-20 rep sets, are they just finishing sets? "

That was how I was intending them yes.

Anyway, I have another question. What would be a good baseline amount of calories to start consuming when I get off my current dietary program and start bulking? I’m afraid of raising cals to quickly as I’ve heard that this causes excessive fat gain.

And does anyone have any tips on how not to cave in on squats? Seem to be having that problem of late.

OK. With eating, here’s a tip for you. If it’s not nailed down & it’s edible, then it’s fair game. Don’t worry about ‘weight’, worry about keeping your body fat around 15%, where you are now. Do you really think it’s worth bulking for 6 months? Only having to diet down again?

Anyway, squats, how not to cave in? Do you have accesst o a power rack or squat rack? There great tools to use, since you can go heavy & be safe & not have to worry about having a massive amount of weight fall on you!

There’s a few ways to work out your caloric needs. One method sometimes used, is using your bodyweight & multiply that by 20. That’s your calorie needs for the day. Ensure that you get between 1-1.5g of protein a day & 2-3g of carbs, mostly clean carbs like rice, pasta, sweet potatoe…

[quote]TheOlympian wrote:
OK. With eating, here’s a tip for you. If it’s not nailed down & it’s edible, then it’s fair game. Don’t worry about ‘weight’, worry about keeping your body fat around 15%, where you are now. Do you really think it’s worth bulking for 6 months? Only having to diet down again? [/quote]
Thank you for the tips. What do you mean about bulking for six months though? Think that’s too short a period of time? By bulking I don’t mean pigging out and letting my bf% shoot up to 25%. Just eating in a calorific surplus for the purpose of gaining muscle.

Yeah, I’m using a squat rack. What I mean is how can I avoid turning the occasional squat into a good morning? My torso tends to tilt forwards way to much.

I’ll keep that in mind thank you, although I don’t do so well with pasta…

[quote]cheeta wrote:
þegar þú talar um “cave in” í beygjunum ertu þá að tala um að þú sért að detta framm??[/quote]
Jamm. �?að er frekar pirrandi sko.

Borðar Boris bara 4000hitaeiningar:S? Hefði haldið að maður af hans stærðargráðu væri í svona 7000…
Allaveganna, held það sé einmitt mjög sniðugt að sleppa þessum unnu kolvetnum eins og pasta og brauði. Borða svo bara almennilega. �?g prófa mig bara áfram.
Er að pæla í að byrja bara á 2500 sem viðmið(vil ekki byrja of hátt eftir megrun) og hækka hitaeiningar þaðan hægt og rólega þangað til að ég finn rétta fjöldann. �?tla að halda matardagbók, svo maður haldi sig örugglega við efnið.

Haha já, nú er maður loksins búinn að minnka nóg. Kominn tími á að smyrja á vöðvum.
Takk takk!

what

It’s Icelandic.

iceland, isn’t that where barbarians live?

I think it’s Vikings.

[quote]Gaius Octavius wrote:
It’s Icelandic.[/quote]

nosheet :]

i need rescue Cheeta from the barbarians

[quote]cheeta wrote:
með beygjuna ef þú dettur framm, passaðu þig þá á að beygja aldrei fyrir framan spegill, ertu ekki alltaf i flatbotna skóm? einsog converse eða svoleiðis? og passaðu að gripið se frekar þröngt en of vítt það hjalpar þer að halda spennu í bakinu og klemma herðablöðin. og svo bara muna að maður á að spyrna með hælunum, það hjalpar mer að lifta tánum smá upp bara :)[/quote]
Held að málið sé að ég er ekki búinn að vera að spyrna nóg með hælunum. Beygi annars alltaf berfættur.

Er ekki eitthvað mót í mars? Var eitthvað búinn að heyra um það og er svona að gæla við hugmyndina að keppa þá.
[/quote]

To the rest of you, any ideas on where I should fit in regular deadlifts? Could I do them on back day?

Back day is the usual day to put them into a split but dont know how you would place it in your program. I usually do DL’s with straight sets, not antagonist.