Former Pantera Guitarist Killed

I was cruising Yahoo just now and one of the events in the news said:

"COLUMBUS, Ohio - A gunman charged onstage at a packed nightclub and opened fire on the band and the crowd, killing top heavy metal guitarist “Dimebag” Darrell Abbott and three other people before a police officer shot him to death, authorities and witnesses said.

Columbus police department spokeswoman Sherry Mercurio identified three of the victims of Wednesday’s shooting as Abbott, guitarist with the heavy metal rock band Damageplan, and two other men, Nathan Bray and Erin Halk.

Damageplan had just begun their first song at the Alrosa Villa when the man opened fire, first targeting Abbott, shooting him multiple times at point-blank range, a witness said…

Abbott, 38, one of metal’s top guitarists, and his brother, Damageplan drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, were original members of Grammy-nominated thrash rock pioneers Pantera, one of the most popular metal bands of the early 1990s."

Heres the link to the rest of this article:

Crazy shit…too bad…I liked Pantera back in the day…hell, i still listen to “Vulgar Display of Power” sometimes when I work out…

I couldn’t believe the news when I heard it! This is fucking terrible. What kind of a sick bastard does this shit!

Man, I loved Pantera growing up. And anyone who plays guitar knows he was one of the most talented guitarists of our time. He’s the Eddie van Hale of our generation. He had so much heart, and so much talent. Man that sucks.

dimebag darrell’s riffs introduced me to truly HEAVY guitar playing and, by extension, to the world of death metal (where I currently live). much respect to a fallen metal warrior. try to imagine the sound of randy rhoades, darrell, cliff burton, and cozy powell (rainbow’s drummer for all you lightweights) jamming in valhalla. darrell will be missed.

I hear you. I’m playing my collection of Pantera right now…my tribute to him.

It’s a sad day. Not much more you can say. I’m going to listen to Cemetary Gates in tribute to Dimebag.

Really messed up, really depressing. I knew there be other crazy motherf-ckers on T-nation that get pumped up to Pantera. “Hollow” is gonna be the track I put on before falling asleep tonight. R.I.P., Dimebag