T Nation

Former O-Lifter Stagnating

I’m a former competitive olympic weightlifter, but in the last five months, I’ve found myself w/out access to weights of any kind. To “stay in shape”, I’ve been doing things like pistol squats, hill sprints, one-arm-one-leg pushups, pull-ups, v-sits and other bw exercises. Problem is I’m stagnating and getting really bored. I find that w/out something to train for, I don’t have the same drive. I am planning to get back into lifting and martial arts when I get on my feet, but money’s been a problem for some time (hence the lack of weights).

Anyway, I suppose my question would be, what are some things I can do (w/out spending ANY money) to switch up my training in the meantime? I would love to do things like sandbag training, hammer swinging, etc, but I can’t even afford the materials for those things (it’s been all I can do to survive). My goals right now are to retain as much strength/muscle mass as possible and to prepare myself for a return to martial arts in the next couple of months (hopefully).

Tires, logs, stones, your car.

Oh, keep an eye on Craigslist’s “free” section. If you can get to them fast enough, you can usually amass some equipment for free.

I didn’t even realize craigslist had a free section! I’ll check it out. Unfortunately I don’t have a car, otherwise I’d be pushing/pulling it up and down the street all day long. I’ve thought about getting a tire, but again w/out transpo, it’d be hard to get my hands on one.

[quote]rockandrollsoul wrote:
I’ve thought about getting a tire, but again w/out transpo, it’d be hard to get my hands on one.
[/quote]
Roll/carry it home. Consider it part of the workout :slight_smile: