T Nation

Former Fat Boy Needs Some Help

Hey, I'm new to the forum, and was hoping maybe I could get some fresh advice here.

As the title suggests, I used to be a fat-ass. At my heaviest, I was almost 200 lbs. while measuring under 5'-10". About 5 years ago, I decided to change. I started working out and eating healthier. Needless to say, I was a stupid and naive from lack of knowledge and experience. So, I somehow came to the conclusion that I needed to lose weight any way possible. I accomplished this goal over a couple of years, and ended up weighing 150 lbs. Big mistake. At this point, I was stupid, naive, and a skinny bitch.

So, for the last year or so, I've been trying to gain weight. I hate being skinny. But, as a FFB, I never want to be fat again. Now, I'm stuck in a mental rut. Every time I lose sight of my six-pack, I panic. So, I've been keeping my calorie intake every so slightly above maintenance. Problem is, my gains are slow, and constantly plateau. After a year, I've only gained about 13 pounds.

My question is, being a FFB, what route should I take with my diet? Eating BIG and clean? Eating just enough?

eat huge amounts of fast food, double cream, liquid chocolate, and attach an IV of sugar solution to your arm.

OR, you could try and eat large amounts of clean foods and monitor your progress.

I'm actually trying that right now. Your second suggestion, that is. I'm really trying to stick with it, but I have that constant fear of getting fat again. It sucks.

If I'm training hard, and eating cleanly but in HUGE amounts, is it possible for me to shoot back to being a miniature Michelin man? And when I start to look soft, could this possibly be from bloating, or water retention, and not just fat gain?

I guess I just have one big question surrounding my problem, Is this all in my head?

Yeah it probably is all in your head. But screw what everyone else has to say. You gotta do A) whattever it is you think you gotta do to reach your goals B) what makes you feel comfortable.

Now the options are eat clean at slightly above maintenance an see how that goes. If you like your results bump up the calories some more and see how it goes.

Good point, thanks.

I've been really pissed recently about my slow progress, on top of the fact that I worship my food log. So, I guess I'm looking for reasoning to just eat without the stress.

http://www.tmuscle.com/readArticle.do?id=1268956

Interesting that I saw this question just after reading the above article. Maybe it will help you.

i went through the exact same thing as u...FFB then got skinny then slow progress etc. The trick is to eat a lot of clean food as stated and work out very intense in the gym. I can not tell you how quickly you will gain if you up the intensity. Lift as heavy as you can, and keep your rest periods short.

Westside for skinny bastards is a great routine. You should definitely give it a look.

First of all, do what you are really comfortable with.

But... Getting bigger will always mean EATING. And yeah, BLOATED gut does not automatically mean FAT gut. I'm usually a bit bloated all day and I did not get any fatter in the last 12 months.

I measure my waist every week, in the morning of course. After comparing results from two months you, more or less, see where you are. If it's too much, I adjust my diet and add some cario.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Looks like I have some decisions to make.

I'm going to try and eat clean, big, and without counting cals for a while and see how that goes. Maybe I'll be ok if I just monitor my progress and make adjustments as necessary. It sounds f'ed up, but I really don't know how to eat like a normal person. Too many years of being so strict.

Well man I'm coming from a similar place as you and I agree with the other posters about eating big and clean but don't just go crazy. I would even keep moderate track of your carbs and aim to have them mostly around workout and in the morning But that's just my opinion.