T Nation

Form video 5x5 squat critique - 120kg - I want to deload the weight.

Basically, i am doing 5x5 with an olympic squat (i am training to do olympic lifts).

I know my form isn’t really ok at the moment after watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnV7vEi7Sz8 . Even though i think he is doing low bar his depth is what i am lacking (and the arnold picture really made me feel like i’m not doing it right!) because my hips are not going below the knee joint.

My main questions are; what aspect of the form should i improve (i think my knees are too far forward and i am not lying back enough) and how much i should deload by. I am thinking of deloading to 105kg 5x5 and taking 2 or 3 weeks to sort the form issues out.

1. Your spotter just seems itching to help you. I mean, he’s approaching you every time it takes you anymore than a second to come out of the hole. And at the last rep he tries to help you up even though you really don’t need it. Just an observation really, but I don’t think it helps to have people around who’s worried the moment you struggle even a whee bit.

2. You say you’re doing Olympic squats, but your stance says you’re not. Olympic, and just high-bar squatting afaik, typically has the individual with a shoulder-width stance. Furthermore, their toes will not be obviously pointing outwards. Power-lifting, and low-bar squats in general, has the individual with a wider than shoulder stance and depends more on the individual’s flexibility than an actual given. Their toes will point noticeably outwards because it places more emphasis on the hips and glutes. Your stance looks like a power lifting stance.

3. You’re going, at best (and it’s difficult to tell because camera angle sucks), slightly above parallel. Your depth gets worse as the reps increase.

4. You appear to develop what is commonly known as a “butt-wink” as the reps increase. Basically, your hips rise while your back doesn’t until you’re basically back up, making it look as though you’re doing more of a good morning than a squat. This will probably be a lot more noticeable if you had greater depth.

Honest opinion on deload? Go down to the bar and rebuild proper high-bar squat form. If you tried to narrow your stance to shoulder width right now, I would bet that you would have no RoM whatsoever. And seeing as how great RoM and perfect form is required for Olympic lifting…

I have a couple questions-

1. Have you always squatted in that manner? Basically, has there been no change in perceived feeling of depth and stance as you increased in weight? People often slowly fuck their form up as they increase in weight and don’t even notice it.
  2. How tall are you? You seem quite tall in the video, and that would definitely impact how well you can squat. You definitely have long legs, and that is disadvantageous for squatting.
  3. How long have you been squatting?

[quote]magick wrote:

1. Your spotter just seems itching to help you. I mean, he’s approaching you every time it takes you anymore than a second to come out of the hole. And at the last rep he tries to help you up even though you really don’t need it. Just an observation really, but I don’t think it helps to have people around who’s worried the moment you struggle even a whee bit.

2. You say you’re doing Olympic squats, but your stance says you’re not. Olympic, and just high-bar squatting afaik, typically has the individual with a shoulder-width stance. Furthermore, their toes will not be obviously pointing outwards. Power-lifting, and low-bar squats in general, has the individual with a wider than shoulder stance and depends more on the individual’s flexibility than an actual given. Their toes will point noticeably outwards because it places more emphasis on the hips and glutes. Your stance looks like a power lifting stance.

3. You’re going, at best (and it’s difficult to tell because camera angle sucks), slightly above parallel. Your depth gets worse as the reps increase.

4. You appear to develop what is commonly known as a “butt-wink” as the reps increase. Basically, your hips rise while your back doesn’t until you’re basically back up, making it look as though you’re doing more of a good morning than a squat. This will probably be a lot more noticeable if you had greater depth.

Honest opinion on deload? Go down to the bar and rebuild proper high-bar squat form. If you tried to narrow your stance to shoulder width right now, I would bet that you would have no RoM whatsoever. And seeing as how great RoM and perfect form is required for Olympic lifting…

I have a couple questions-

1. Have you always squatted in that manner? Basically, has there been no change in perceived feeling of depth and stance as you increased in weight? People often slowly fuck their form up as they increase in weight and don’t even notice it.
  2. How tall are you? You seem quite tall in the video, and that would definitely impact how well you can squat. You definitely have long legs, and that is disadvantageous for squatting.
  3. How long have you been squatting?[/quote]

Point 2: Yeah, i realised my stance is too wide to count as a olympic squat. I am just trying to build strength and muscle to be honest , and it is my main priority before I move on to olympic lifts.
Point 3: Yep, agree.
Point 4: Yeah, tbh , it didn’t feel like one smooth movement.

Strength wise though, i am getting decent depth up to about 110kg , i am not training to become an olympic lifter so as my main goal is strength and muscle is it really necessary to deload to 60kg?

Onto the questions:

1. No, my stance used to be narrower. I slowly fucked up as i increased the weight, stance got wider.
  2. I am 5ft10 so not that tall at all.
    3 I have been squatting for 6 months. And i really don’t want to lose my progress, because i don’t feel like i’m actually that weak to have to deload to 60kg. If need be, i will switch to the low bar squat. I just want to improve my strength.

Well, it’s not a matter of being weak or not. I spent a month and a half rebuilding my squat after not doing any lifting whatsoever for four months before that due to an injury. You just have to do what you have to do so that you can have a satisfactory performance. If you’re not satisfied with your squat, then you’ll have to do whatever is necessary to make it satisfactory.

I’d advise that you post videos of you squatting just the bar, then 135lb, 165, 195, 215. Something like that. If you didn’t notice that your form wasn’t great, then chances are it was never all that good in the first place. Perhaps you can ask someone at your gym who definitely has a good squat form to check your form?

If you’re interested in low-bar squats for whatever reason, then try reading Mark Rippetoe’s Starting Strength book. I personally do low-bar squats because I lack the flexibility to high-bar squat well, and I just follow exactly what the book says regarding low-bar squatting. Works fine for me.

Bring your feet right in to just outside shoulder width, push your knees out
Bring in your grip to tighten up your upper back and keep your chest up
Sit down between your hips, not back - this is a key difference between low bar and high bar squats

Example:

[quote]Compoundex wrote:
3 I have been squatting for 6 months. And i really don’t want to lose my progress, because i don’t feel like i’m actually that weak to have to deload to 60kg. If need be, i will switch to the low bar squat. I just want to improve my strength. [/quote]

You won’t lose your progress–you will still be able to half squat 120 kg as you’ve shown in the video, you will just be adding the ability to (at least) parallel squat less weight.

Post a video of a full squat with just the bar to see if there is a mobility issue. If there is, you will need to work on that before strength.