T Nation

Form on the Big 4

Looking for some feedback on my form for Deadlifts, Bench, Front Squat and Military Press. Also if you need different angles, I have some more recorded and could probably re-do next week if necessary as well.

Any help appreciated.

Deadlift:
[video]1899[/video]

Military Press:
[video]1898[/video]

Front Squat:
[video]1900[/video]

Bench Press:
[video]1901[/video]

deadlift - lumbar spine rounding. your setup seems pretty long.

front squat - torso looks like it should be more upright, knees appear to buckle in. i personally go for more depth.

these should hold you until some experts weigh in

Hi buddy. Congrats on your lifting. Your doing well.

Deadlift: get some proper shoes(ie: some chucks), maybe a slightly wider stance and a wider hand placement. Dont rock around on your feet. Not bad form for a beginner.
Military press: not bad. try not to rock/sway your body. remain solid.
Front squat: if I were a beginner again, I would learn back squats first. Dont beat yourself up on depth too much. As you train your flexibility will increase and you will squat deeper. Going to deep at first without the right flexibility will only cause your back to round.
Bench press: save your shoulders young man, and switch to dumbells.

Post your diet. What are your goals?
Lift long, lift strong.

tweet tweet

Maybe its just me, but your grip placement seems too narrow on military. I personally go for where my forearms stay perpendicular to the floor for most of the movement.

For the deadlift set-up, you really need to get your chest up. Looking up isn’t the same as setting your back flat/into extension. Try to get your chest pointing towards the mirror. You can see clearly in the video, that your eyes are straight ahead and that your chest is pointed towards the ground.

It may take a bit of time but learning to get into the back flat position is important.

The front squats also looked too heavy. Drop the weight on them and work back up going deeper, at least to parallel, if not hams to calves.

Thanks for the help all. Confirms some things I was thinking and gives me some new things to work on as well.

[quote]theBird wrote:

Front squat: if I were a beginner again, I would learn back squats first. Dont beat yourself up on depth too much. As you train your flexibility will increase and you will squat deeper. Going to deep at first without the right flexibility will only cause your back to round.
Bench press: save your shoulders young man, and switch to dumbells.

Post your diet. What are your goals?
[/quote]

I did back squats for a while, I just can’t get deep on them at all without bending over too far. Front squats feel much more natural for me.

I do some DB work for chest each workout, I just don’t like using them on my main lift of the day because ramping weight on them in a commercial gym is such a pain in the ass.

Currently my goal is mass gain. Progress stagnating a bit so it’s probably time to ramp up calories again, I’m at about 3800-3900/day now and will add in another 250/day or so within the next week if the scale doesn’t start moving. I can go into greater detail if you wish and post my entire day’s worth of food, but as a general overview: on training days (5-6 days a week) my macros are about 135g/350g/315g fat/carb/protein (comes out to 3850calories, each macronutrient is 30-35% of total intake). It’s a fairly high fat diet, but since I tend to accumulate fat almost entirely in my belly when I put on weight, I figured lower carbs is a good place to start. I’ll toy with the ratios as I keep gaining until I figure out what works best for me, but I have to start somewhere and it seemed as good of a starting point as any.

Again, thanks for the feedback all.

Your doing well my friend.
My back squat was terrible until i started using a box to help me with squat depth. Work out the deeepest depth you can go without rolling your back, and find a box/bench that is that high. Put the box/bench behind you, but when you squat dont sit on it, just touch it, pretend its mde out of glass. And also remember to explode up as hard and fast as you can!!
Lightweight!!!

tweet tweet